Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Dispatch Ninja

Reply with quote  #21 
I'm a dude...and your more than welcome morena.  The recording is a masterpiece.
uhollis

Alumni/Dean/Assoc Professor,
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #22 
i would imagine as things progress i will loose more and more knowledge.  y'all keep up a lot more than i do anymore, or than i have the time for.
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #23 

That's what you get for going and having a young-un hollis. And for gettin' old.  Morena and JTX there is show on the archive from the Whisky-a-Go-Go in LA done around 04 or 05. UHollis told me about it near couple years ago. "I Gotta Know" usually closed with a tribute to Otis Redding that JJ wrote "Sweet Little Woman."  There's a local singer named Gina (and it's her birfday y'all) that sits in on that song and she'll knock your socks clear across to the next county.

TN_Cracka

Reply with quote  #24 

Hell yeah uhollis. I would love to get the link for the Snatch & the Poontangs album. I will pm you my email address so you can send me the link. If I screw up the pm, clay has my email.

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #25 

I don't have the full album from Snatch & the Poontangs that UHollis is talking about I don't think, but I do have the one called Snatch and the Poontangs (Johnny Otis Presents).  The Snatch version of The Great Stack-A-Lee has alot of piano and kind of a different groove with the guitar, but very cool.  Maybe a little bit more of a laid back slow jam compared to the way JJ sings it live.  Alot easier to understand the lyrics also. 

As for Ho Cake, I do remember hearing something about that being a cover or now clarified as 1/2 a cover.  Didn't know it was Snatch & P also, but that's what we have Uhollis for.  I have the song Big John Jeeter on that album and listened to it a bit ago, definitely the base for Ho Cake (with some rated R or higher lyrics, but that's Snatch and the Poontangs for ya!)

Can't really even quote any of the lyrics on here without feeling dirty... 

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #26 

For those of you who don't have it, you can preview it on Itunes.  That was where I got the album a while back.  Just the 30 second clip that Itunes allows you to listen to of Big John Jeeter is enough to hear the Ho Cake resemblence. 

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skotdee
Well, Im not Hollis but I can shed some light on this. First off, its Ho Cake, singular, not plural  

Like Clay said, its something of a cover. Basically, its the music & melody from "Big John Jeeter" by Snatch and the Poontangs, who, by the way, also did the arrangement of Stagger Lee that Mofro covers... Anyway, JJ wrote completely new lyrics for Ho Cake, referencing southern food instead of , well, you'll just have to listen to BJJ to find out. Oh ok, twist my arm, its sex. Let me rephrase that, SEX, with a capital S-E-X. Nasty, dirty, low down for-ni-cation. I think back in the early Mofro days, JJ would announce it as the "clean" version of Big John Jeeter. Do yourself a favor and seek the original out if you want a GOOD laugh. The lyrics are downright hilarious. Well, if you're not easily offended. I think most of us here can handle it.

So there ya go, its 1/2 a cover. The music is covered, the lyrics are original.

Leaving alot out there Skotdee didn't you?  Being just about 'SEX' is the rated G part of the song.  It's the nasty, dirty, low down, For-ni-cation with a capital F that is what it's about.  I would say you can handle it if you aren't offended at all instead of not easily offended.  I think most of us here can handle it as well, key word being Most. 

lil mofro ho

Reply with quote  #28 
Just took a listen to the full length version on Rhapsody.   Ummm yeah.... how the hell did  JJ turned that into a song about food?  I won't be able to listen to Ho Cake again without thinking of some of those lyrics!!! 
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerious Tyme
Quote:
Well, Im not Hollis but I can shed some light on this. First off, its Ho Cake, singular, not plural  

Like Clay said, its something of a cover. Basically, its the music & melody from "Big John Jeeter" by Snatch and the Poontangs, who, by the way, also did the arrangement of Stagger Lee that Mofro covers... Anyway, JJ wrote completely new lyrics for Ho Cake, referencing southern food instead of , well, you'll just have to listen to BJJ to find out. Oh ok, twist my arm, its sex. Let me rephrase that, SEX, with a capital S-E-X. Nasty, dirty, low down for-ni-cation. I think back in the early Mofro days, JJ would announce it as the "clean" version of Big John Jeeter. Do yourself a favor and seek the original out if you want a GOOD laugh. The lyrics are downright hilarious. Well, if you're not easily offended. I think most of us here can handle it.

So there ya go, its 1/2 a cover. The music is covered, the lyrics are original.

Leaving alot out there Skotdee didn't you?  Being just about 'SEX' is the rated G part of the song.  It's the nasty, dirty, low down, For-ni-cation with a capital F that is what it's about.  I would say you can handle it if you aren't offended at all instead of not easily offended.  I think most of us here can handle it as well, key word being Most.    ...maybe this isn't for me......Stagger Lee was pushing the envelope for me, lol!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
lil mofro ho

Reply with quote  #30 
If Stagger Lee is pushing the envelope  for you... then you need to lick that envelope, seal it and put it  waaayyy back in the closet and forget about it!!!  
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #31 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil mofro ho
If Stagger Lee is pushing the envelope  for you... then you need to lick that envelope, seal it and put it  waaayyy back in the closet and forget about it!!!  

I second that notion by lil mofro, if Stagger Lee might be too much for you, probably best stay away from anything else from Snatch and the P's.  The Great Stack-A-Lee is most likely thier least offensive or vulgar song.  If you rated thier songs, probably Stack-A-Lee is rated G or PG whereas Big John Jeeter is definitely R rated and pushing the threshold of NC-17.  They pretty much hit every area, every topic, every view with the lyrics of that song. 

How JJ turned that song into something about food is beyond me as well.  That is the last thing on my mind after hearing the Snatch version.   Maybe he wrote it about food because there wasn't any mention of food in the song?  I'm trying to think if there was or not, can't remember.  Ahh hell, will just have to listen to it again.... 

lil mofro ho

Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Maybe he wrote it about food because there wasn't any mention of food in the song?  I'm trying to think if there was or not, can't remember.  Ahh hell, will just have to listen to it again.... 

Well it did mention chicken, pork and beef... well kinda sorta

I have been listening to ho cake on  a continuous loop for the past hour to try to get the BJJ lyrics outta my head.
Sunshine

Reply with quote  #33 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil mofro ho
Quote:
Maybe he wrote it about food because there wasn't any mention of food in the song?  I'm trying to think if there was or not, can't remember.  Ahh hell, will just have to listen to it again.... 

Well it did mention chicken, pork and beef... well kinda sorta

I have been listening to ho cake on  a continuous loop for the past hour to try to get the BJJ lyrics outta my head.

ok, lil mofro ho.........that just sealed the deal.   I was very curious after  DT's and your comments, enuff to check it out, but after your last post, I think I will hang out juuuust where I am.....

skotdee

Alumni/Assoc Professor, Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Maybe he wrote it about food because there wasn't any mention of food in the song?

You musta forgot the line about the pancakes...
Sunshine

Reply with quote  #35 

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe he wrote it about food because there wasn't any mention of food in the song?

..... I love panacake (singular, lol)

Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #36 

Quote:
Quote:

Yup Skot, how the hell could I forget about the Pancake line?  Probably the one lyric that stands out more than the others in that song.  Maybe that's why JJ was thinking of food or Ho Cake's specifically when he wrote the song?  One thing that amazes me to this day with Snatch and the Poontang's is how they recorded all this stuff back in the late 60s.  Can't imagine what people thought of or how they got it by censors and or someone willing to record and mix thier songs. 

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #37 

I remember back when I was maybe 6 or 7 years old my sister and I ran across some albums that my parents had stashed away...Red Foxx was one. They were all from the sixties (see how old I am?) and were all very racy even by today's standards. My parents caught us before we had a chance to listen. When I was a teenager (in the 70s) I heard his stuff from the 50s and 60s and was shocked--I had heard Pryor and Carlin and Cheech&Chong but by that time Sanford & Son was a hit on TV and my only vision was that of Fred Sanford. Let me tell you though, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Chris Rock and others got NOTHING on Red Foxx.  I'm with you DT.  I always think of that era as all prim and proper.

joelargo

Reply with quote  #38 
what do you think is the meaning of "this river" ??
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter