Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Dispatch Ninja

Reply with quote  #1 
I love hearing JJ talk about the meanings behind his songs.  I was going to post a couple that I've heard him talk about and was wondering if other people can post some that they know of.  It really puts a whole different perspective on the song the next time you hear it.  Like before I always thought Circles was a love song but I was wrong.  If there's already a thread like this if you could point me in the right direction and close this one I would appreciate it. 

Dew Drops - About  a youngin with an alcoholic/abusive daddy and he goes to a special place in his mind to escape the bull shit. 

Air - He referenced the coyote/road runner cartoon where the roadrunner is running and finally notices that there's no ground and then falls. 

Circles - Referenced Hatfield-McCoy feud.  Generations of groups or people fighting over something that happened in the past and carries on from generation to generation. 

LONG LIVE JJ GREY AND MOFRO!!!!!!

Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #2 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTX
I love hearing JJ talk about the meanings behind his songs.  I was going to post a couple that I've heard him talk about and was wondering if other people can post some that they know of.  It really puts a whole different perspective on the song the next time you hear it.  Like before I always thought Circles was a love song but I was wrong.  If there's already a thread like this if you could point me in the right direction and close this one I would appreciate it. 

Dew Drops - About  a youngin with an alcoholic/abusive daddy and he goes to a special place in his mind to escape the bull shit. 

Air - He referenced the coyote/road runner cartoon where the roadrunner is running and finally notices that there's no ground and then falls. 

Circles - Referenced Hatfield-McCoy feud. 

someone please correct me if I am wrong, but was the feud the Barber-Mizell (spelling?)

Generations of groups or people fighting over something that happened in the past and carries on from generation to generation. 

LONG LIVE JJ GREY AND MOFRO!!!!!!

These are I believe the meanings, but there are folks out there with way more knowledge than I and would hope they would correct if any are wrong.

"Gal Youngin" is about his Granny when she was younger

"Ho Cakes" is a tribute to his Granny and is about the love of food ~ yes I know, that was an easy one

"Tragic" is about a friend of his that died from a drug overdose

I will have to give this some more thought.....

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #3 
Sunny's doing good. Yes on Gal Youngin, although I don't know or not if she worked in the fields.

Ho Cakes is something of a cover I believe.

His good friend Trey died of an overdose of oxycontin around New Year's around 4-5 years ago.

JTX we have some threads that are on the subject but ain't no problem in bringin it up again!

Take a peek at this thread for tons of mofro knowledge from some of the band's longest time followers http://forums.mofrofans.com/post?id=4530349

I love that story about Air. I've heard him tell that and it's great. He can get inspired by just about anything.
Sunshine

Reply with quote  #4 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1

Ho Cakes is something of a cover I believe.

Ho Cake is a cover!?!? 

Now, isn't a cover song a song that someone else has written/perrformed??

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #5 
(My, aren't we having fun with colors today?)  Yes, that's what a cover song is.

But I didn't say:  Ho Cake is a cover  I said: Ho Cakes is something of a cover I believe. There are others who can confirm or deny that better than I can.

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #6 

Quote:
(My, aren't we having fun with colors today?)  why yes, yes I am!!

Yes, that's what a cover song is.

But I didn't say:  Ho Cake is a cover  I said: Ho Cakes is something of a cover I believe. There are others who can confirm or deny that better than I can.

just because I am sloooow......what is the definition of

"something of a cover"? 

(you either have grace or you don't) 

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #7 
I have an Aunt named Grace.

It means that I don't know...there are others who have more info on it than I.

Kinda like: Q. "Sir, what color was the cow shit.?"   A. "Well, it was something like a brown."  Q. "What kind of car runned over your dog ma'am?"  A. I'm not sure. It was something like a Ford Pinto."
Sunshine

Reply with quote  #8 
Ok......calling Mr. UHollis to the stand please........

Mr. Hollis, Can you clarify if the song titled "Ho Cakes" was indeed written soley by a Mr. JJ Grey?  Or was this song perhaps borrowed from another artist in collaboratioin with a Mr. JJ Grey?

skotdee

Alumni/Assoc Professor, Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #9 
Well, Im not Hollis but I can shed some light on this. First off, its Ho Cake, singular, not plural  

Like Clay said, its something of a cover. Basically, its the music & melody from "Big John Jeeter" by Snatch and the Poontangs, who, by the way, also did the arrangement of Stagger Lee that Mofro covers... Anyway, JJ wrote completely new lyrics for Ho Cake, referencing southern food instead of , well, you'll just have to listen to BJJ to find out. Oh ok, twist my arm, its sex. Let me rephrase that, SEX, with a capital S-E-X. Nasty, dirty, low down for-ni-cation. I think back in the early Mofro days, JJ would announce it as the "clean" version of Big John Jeeter. Do yourself a favor and seek the original out if you want a GOOD laugh. The lyrics are downright hilarious. Well, if you're not easily offended. I think most of us here can handle it.

So there ya go, its 1/2 a cover. The music is covered, the lyrics are original.
Dispatch Ninja

Reply with quote  #10 
Gotta Know - JJ described it as a sarcastic stab at the scientific community at large and the infinite smallness of man and how human beings as a whole really don't know much at all. 
http://www.archive.org/details/jjgreyandmofro2002-02-22.sbd.flac16
The vocals of that song at this show are just so amazingly beautiful.  Words can't fully describe how music makes me feel. 

This is something else that I love coming across.  This song was sang live in 2002 and is rumored (correct me if I'm wrong) to be on the new album 8 years later.  I noticed that as well with She Don't Know and Dew Drops I believe. 

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #11 

Thank you skot!  See Sunny, I told you somebody knew better than I. I'da screwed that up to all gitout.

Dispatch Ninja

Reply with quote  #12 
Thank ya for that link MofroFan1.  Lot of interesting info in there. 
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #13 

Indeed...the Stump the Hollis post is the shit.

uhollis

Alumni/Dean/Assoc Professor,
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #14 
SkotDee got y'all set straight.

1/2 and 1/2.  It is from "The Johnny Otis Show" Cold Shot! For Adults Olny - Snatch & the Poontangs.

JJ does change up the main riff a little, but not much.  So the music is a borrow.

I can upload the album and drop in a link for anyone that wants it.

Circles tells us a story of two folks meeting each other only to realize they are part of a feud that preceded them, and the impending decision to continue/stop it.  Any feud will do here, but the Barber/Mizell feud is the local feud du jour.

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #15 

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is why UHollis is the man.

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #16 

Well, I'll be!! I dun learned me something new bout Mofro today!!!!  Ho Cake (singular, thanks for the correction Skotdee) is half a cover, interesting. 

so, you were correct there Mr. D   

Thanks to Uhollis and Skotdee for their plethera of knowledge when it comes to Mofro.  You guys probably already have your PHD in Mofro-ology, or at least your Masters.

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is why UHollis is the man.

I rest my case!!

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:

Indeed...the Stump the Hollis post is the shit.

we should bring back that thread for anyone that has not had the pleasure of viewing.  I think in was the fastest growing thread in mofrofans.com history. 

morena

Reply with quote  #19 
holly shit JTX you the man! wait or woman?  that's exactly where I heard this song, from this recording, THANK YOU for bringing this back into my LIFE!!!

Today at 12:19 PMReply with quote#10

Gotta Know - JJ described it as a sarcastic stab at the scientific community at large and the infinite smallness of man and how human beings as a whole really don't know much at all. 
http://www.archive.org/details/jjgreyandmofro2002-02-22.sbd.flac16
The vocals of that song at this show are just so amazingly beautiful.  Words can't fully describe how music makes me feel. 

This is something else that I love coming across.  This song was sang live in 2002 and is rumored (correct me if I'm wrong) to be on the new album 8 years later.  I noticed that as well with She Don't Know and Dew Drops I believe. 

helix77

Reply with quote  #20 
When I hear Ho Cake, I think James Brown. I can just hear him doin that tune. I knew that he was one of JJ's influences, so I just assumed that's where he got the arrangement. I always figured they were JJ's lyrics. Just read up on Johnny Otis, that man was a pioneer!

UHollis is  "the knower of all things MOFRO"

Print

Quick Navigation:

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter