Country Ghetto
Lochloosa
Georgia Warhorse
I've Been Loving You Too Long
Orange Blossoms
Ho Cake
The Sweetest Thing

Cut from Original Setlist: War & Whitehouse

I'll post a full review when I get the chance.

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
hobbes58

Reply with quote  #2 

Saw them the next night in Denver (Arvada), Colorado, opening for Johnny Lang.  NOTE TO JOHNNY LANG: Don't let JJ Grey and Mofro open for you! They were amazing from start to finish and "the headliner" was a disappointment after their mind-blowing 75 minute set. 

Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #3 

awesome 1st post hobbes58!!!

and welcome welcome welcome to Our Front Porch!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Love it when Our Boys blow away the "headliner"!!

DON'T be a stranger!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
Delerious Tyme

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #4 
Welcome Hobbes58! And yes, the guys were On Fire last night. Definitely out played Jonny Lang, and that says it all since Jonny Lang was pretty good to say the least. The guys had to hold back a little in Boulder, so they really let loose on Denver. I will post the Denver Setlist and reviews for both shows when I get home. In the Denver Airport as we speak.

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #5 
Review:

Well, I have had my fair share of odd JJ Grey & Mofro shows, from one where JJ lost his voice, to one where I had a Prime Rib steak during his solo show, the Boulder show would have to rank right up there with those.

The venue was really cool, um, looking.  That's about it.  It was in a national park, Chautauqua National Park, on the base of the mountains of Boulder.  Outdoor covered venue, built in 1898 and all wood. 

It was an all seated event, yes, seated...  but I'll get into more of that here in a bit.  First thing that struck me as odd, was there were no bathrooms within the venue.  They had a sign for Last Chance Bathrooms and an arrow pointing about a 100 yards away from the entrance to the show. 

Second, as I entered the venue, there were employees handing out ear plugs?  You read that right. I was like, um, no, I'm here to listen to the music!  They were like, "It's gonna be loud in here."  My response, the louder the better. 

So, Mofro gets on and plays a killer set, with what they had to work with that is.  The sound system in there was horrible.  One guy yelled out half way through the show, "Turn up the Mic!"  You could only hear JJ's voice when the guys played softer and that is if the mic didn't cut out while he was singing.  It was odd to be singing the song with JJ and the mic for him would cut out.  Not only that, but it happened more than once, twice, it happened alot.  It even happened to Trubes Mic when he was announcing JJ on thier little round about to present all the band members. 

JJ was singing his heart out like usual, but damn if he didn't blow out his voice trying to carry in that place and over the music.  That being said, I can't emphasis how bad the sound system was.  Even with that crutch, the guys played great and brought alot of energy.  More on that here in a second.

Next, simply put, no liquor...  State Park.  They only had water in the venue. 

Last, but not least, what really made me never want to go back to this place again, the no dancing policy!   I ain't bullshitting.  There were people up and dancing for the first couple of songs and then all of a sudden the staff went to them and tapped them on the shoulder and told them to sit down.  Are you fucking kidding me?  It's a concert people and it's fucking Mofro!  God damnit if I didn't leave my Shooter Jennings Shiv at home, because it I had it, I would have cut those people, real bad.  I couldn't believe it.  I'm still shaking my head while I'm writing this.  

Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #6 
A few notes on the show, JJ has a new guitar.  A Gold Les Paul. 

I talked to him after the show and he said that Gibson gave it to him.  He loves it.  He broke a string on it about halfway through the set and still played with it for a few songs, minus the string. 

For all of those going on Rombello, I talked to JJ about it as well and to say that he is excited about it would be an understatement.  He said that they are playing 3 sets for sure, possibly more.  To sum up what to expect, he said, alot of drinking, alot of jamming, alot of dancing, and alot of partying.  He said he was looking forward to playing with the Greyhounds on the boat and just having a good time with everyone.  They are going to treat it like they are playing in JJ's back yard and you aren't having a good time, if you are probably dead.  He was smiling the entire time he was talking about Rombello.  I guess the word you can probably use to describe as what to expect on the boat...  EPIC...   So for ya'll that are on the fence about going, hopefully that will push you over the fence.  For those who aren't going, figure out a way to go, because if JJ is speaking the truth, like he always does, you won't want to miss this...

Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #7 

Oh, I forgot that JJ told a story for Lochloosa that I hadn't heard before.  He talked about going there with his Grandfather to fish, in his beat up old truck that had 13 coats of primer on it and no paint.  That and how they almost sank in the boat once while fishing because they forgot to put the plug back in before heading out on the water.  His Grandpa's solution to the problem was to just go fast and the water they took on would fall out the back.  Cool story... 

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #8 

I awlways love your reviews DT as you put so much thought and include so much of the detail that I need and crave, lol!!

ha, no dancing!?!!!  and then be told to stop dancing ........ at a loss for words on that one ..........

I am so happy that you decided to hit the Rombello boat!!  I just wish I had the time and money to do something like that, one day I keep sayin, one day.

the venue built in 1898, that would be waaayyyy cool to see!!

Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #9 
The one other thing that was amazing to hear from JJ after this show was what all happened with the sound system and the venue's management.

I asked JJ if his voice was ok or if it was the mic.  He said that Chris and the venue management were going back and forth with each other because they said that Mofro was playing too loud?  Get this, they threatened to fine the band for playing too loud.  Believe me, it was not loud in there.  JJ said that he normally had to yell to talk to Aaron or someone on the side of the stage when the band is playing but he could talk like normal and could still hear each other.  That's why they cut War and went with I've been Loving you Too Long instead, for the fear that War would probably get them in trouble for being loud. 

Word of advice to the Venue, Don't book Mofro if you are going to have a volume restriction, and don't book a band that makes you want to get up and dance if you aren't going to let them dance.  Absolutely ridiculous.  I'm assuming why the guys brought it loud and hard in Denver was all vent up frustration and energy from the Boulder Show. 

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #10 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerious Tyme
Word of advice to the Venue, Don't book Mofro if you are going to have a volume restriction, and don't book a band that makes you want to get up and dance if you aren't going to let them dance.  Absolutely ridiculous.  I'm assuming why the guys brought it loud and hard in Denver was all vent up frustration and energy from the Boulder Show. 

what is it ..... 1984 and Footloose is happening?!!

FireFly

Mofrofans.com Interplanetary

Ambassador

Reply with quote  #11 
DT , I should have told you to tell jj that his first mojito on rombello is on me. You would have died laughing to his reaction , lol

But to the show , all I can say is
WTF???
Noise fine for the band? If the place prefers quiter sit-down music than hire a string quartett.
Strangest thing I've heard ina while. I can just see Chris' hair bouncing harder than it usually does as he was walking around, trying to figure shit out and fix it, haha.

And to jj' s stories , he was saying something about fishing and sleeping on the back part or the pickup truck. always so cute with his little stories

( funny quotes from rombello )
Bad Habit

Traveling Ambassador of Goodwill
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine
what is it ..... 1984 and Footloose is happening?!!

Ha ha!  Exactly what I was thinking
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #13 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly
DT , I should have told you to tell jj that his first mojito on rombello is on me. You would have died laughing to his reaction , lol

WTF???
Noise fine for the band? If the place prefers quiter sit-down music than hire a string quartett.
Strangest thing I've heard ina while. I can just see Chris' hair bouncing harder than it usually does as he was walking around, trying to figure shit out and fix it, haha.

And to jj' s stories , he was saying something about fishing and sleeping on the back part or the pickup truck. always so cute with his little stories

Yup, Firefly, dead on.   That is the story he told for Lochloosa. 

Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #14 

Quote:

WTF???

I'll try and tell him that after the show in Phoenix, on September 11th.  See what kind of reaction I can get out of him...

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #15 

Quote:

got my curiosity up there Ms. Firefly ................... 

modifab

Reply with quote  #16 
Great stuff DT! Terribly sorry to hear about the few downers on your trip man but ya seem like a chin up kinda kid... Make Lemonade ya know?

Yeah we got the story about him n gramps fishin and damn near sinkin the boat here in Detroit last year... (actually Ann Arbor) The commentary of his grandpa turnin around and lookin at JJ all nonchalant like once they realize the boat's already half sunk... gramps says.. Guess we'd betta haul ass... or something to that effect? Sound like the one?

I mention Ann Arbor cuz that show too was in a "Sit Down Venue".. called The Ark.. More of a rootsy Bluegrassy kinda room for a few hundred. JJ mentioned how weird it was for them and that he knew how we musta been feelin about the situation. I thought I remembered giving a review of this but couldn't find it. JJ actually adressed the staff there about half way through the set when it was time and requested they pleeeeze let us be when we get up here to shake our asses. He just knew we were about to perculate ova... The venue ended up letting us be.. Even funnier is it all came full circle at the end of it.. It was about the second song in the set and this kid comes shuffling through the front row across the stage interupting JJ with a bar napkin kinda note... JJ reads it and says .." Oh don't worry brutha... we're gonna get to that in a few minutes.. Well the show wraps up and I'm in the second row so when the crowd disperses I can read that note layin on the stage.. It simply reads..."JJ!! PLEEEEZE LET US OFF OUR ASSES!!!" Too funny!!

Please excuse the thread jacking here DT... Just thought it may pair nicely with your commentary...

Reply with quote  #17 
Oh and DT... I'm now even more highly irritated about not being able to make Rombello work...

Thank you???? LOL!

Admin
Reply with quote  #18 
Gee. Nice venue. I don't think I'd have been a happy camper.

But otherwise great stuff from you and mr modifab! I love the napkin story.
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #19 

Firefly stole my line...a noise fine?

Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #20 
Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention.  No cameras at this venue either, so I couldn't take pics or video... 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter