JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Bad Habit

Traveling Ambassador of Goodwill
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Cracka
 I'll be there - who else is up for free Mofro?  How will I find you guys?  I was unsuccessful last year at Masquerade.....

Hey, Swamp Cracka!  I will be there, but I'm never much good at finding people either  My cell # is (912)275-1489  You are welcome to call or text me to see if we can figure out how/when to meet up.  I am hoping it won't be overly crowded...

If I'm lucky enough to get "my" front row spot, I'll be up there starting at 2:20 w/Ponderosa.  I'll be wearing a long tie-dye dress but am vertically challenged (short), so I'm not always easy to find.

Hope to see you there!!!  
Swamp Cracka

Reply with quote  #22 

Alrighty Bad Habit - I'll look for you, though I won't be getting there that early.  I'll be bring little cracka to her first Mofro show!!!!

princessrayray

Reply with quote  #23 
I'm planning on being there...I mean, why would I miss a FREE show?  Heat or no heat!  'Rosa's going on at 2:20 and JJ's on at 7:15.  Hmm...that's a lot of time to drink and eat.    Personally, I'm thinking I'm going to become really good friends with the cupcake truck. 

As a local Atl resident, I've not heard anything about this festival on any radio station.  I only found out about it when I saw the posts from Ponderosa about being added to the schedule.  When I went to check out the lineup, I saw JJ was on there and couldn't believe my eyes!  I'm just hoping it stays a secret and it'll be only moderately crowded. 

♪♫ I just want to feel like I do when I'm with you, It's a beautiful world.
The darkness, it ain't so deep, So I reach and I reach and I reach, Higher, Set me free ♫♪
notfadeaway

Reply with quote  #24 
What's up Mofro-ians?  'Been a long time for me.  I'm not the best with reviews but I'll give it a shot.  Last night was the first show I saw cold, clean, and sober.  I took my wife, 16 year old daughter and her boyfriend, and my 13 year old son.  It was his birthday and all of their first show. . . and of course they were all amazed!  It was great to see Chip, Tara, Jen, Melissa, and Sean too.

After searching an hour for parking we finally made it to the venue about and hour and half before Mofro was scheduled to go on and then it began to absolutely pour.  It was like a monsoon!  There was lightning and thunder and lots of mud.  We all held our ground and waited for it to pass which it eventually did after a good hour or so.  The family was about ready to go home but I made them stick it out.  We got to watch a bunch of beer drinkers have mud wrestling and mud sliding contests.  It passed the time quite well.

Once the rain finally ended we took our position right up front against the railing off to the right. It was a great place for my kids (and wife) considering the mad-fun that was ensuing behind us.  The place was packed by the time JJ and Co. made the stage and boy did they put on a spectacle. 

JJ was in great spirits having some of the best fun I've ever seen him have.  He and AC had something going on with one another because they kept looking at each other and laughing and smiling about something.  During SH&S JJ forgot the opening lyrics and had to get help from the band for the first stanza.  He started with the 2nd stanza then stopped and was like 'shit, that's the 2nd verse' and looked around at the band for help.  I think it was Art who gave him the 1st verse. 

All in all it was a spectacular show of course.  All ways is.  Country Ghetto was the best I've ever heard and Trube was really tearing it up to the point of breaking his string.

The set list was:
Hide and Seek
War
A Woman
Country Ghetto
Brighter Days
DFC
Lochloosa
Everything Good Is Bad
Slow, Hot & Sweaty
Ho Cake
The Sweetest Thing

Peace to all and Happy Father's Day.

Admin
Reply with quote  #25 
Good to hear from ya notfadeaway. For somebody who ain't the best with reviews I think you did a helluva job. Thank you. Sounds like it went great (cept for the rain part but that sounds like it even turned out to be entertaining). Glad people hung and didn't bolt with the rain (no pun intended.) Really glad to hear the guys had a packed crowd!

So your teens were amazed huh? That is so cool. That's what's great about JJ's music. It appeals across all lines. Glad you had such a great time man. Now head on over to Greenville on 6/29 and see 'em again!
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #26 

Great review notfadeaway!! 

loving you took your youngins!! 

Hope to see ya in Greenville!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
Swamp Cracka

Reply with quote  #27 
We made it down there too, stroller in tow.  Little Cracka got her first Mofro show, and luckily we were able to hide out during the fierce storm that hit around 6:30.  Unfortunately, I think Mofro was limited to a short set - it seems like they only played about an hour.  NotFadeAway - I thought too, that is was a fun set, and that the Greyhounds dudes were going to town and back.

How about the food!!!!  I loved the Fry Guy, and I had a pretty good brick oven pizza.  I wanted to pig out, but it wasn't in the cards.  We stayed for some Robert Randolph too and he sounded great.

Kudos to all who suffered through the storm to stay and get funky.
princessrayray

Reply with quote  #28 

We were there from Ponderosa through Robert Randolph...and I had a BLAST!  No, I was not one of the mud wrestlers though, lol!!  I had no idea who the Dirty Guv'nahs were before Saturday, and I LOVED them!  I wasn't too impressed with Dr. Dog, and wasn't too upset when the storms blew them off stage early.  JJ and the boys were awesome, as always!  And RR (also another first for me!) amazed me.  I think (other than the music) my favorite highlights were waiting out the storms under a Red Stripe umbrella, meeting new friends (when our Red Stripe blew away and we had to take shelter with strangers!), watching people slide down the big muddy hill, the mud wrestlers and of course the great food.  The Fry Guy had the BEST fries I've ever had!  I hit up the Yummy Yummy Cupcake for 2 of their tasty treats (hey, I was there for 9 hours!), and I had some fantastic egg rolls from one of the trucks.  I wish I remembered their name so I can stalk them around Atl!    And great review notfadeaway, that pretty much summed it up! 

The darkness, it ain't so deep, So I reach and I reach and I reach, Higher, Set me free ♫♪
princessrayray

Reply with quote  #29 
Oh, and AC was out and about (as usual) throughout the whole day.  We kept running into him and our last time we bumped into him was around 11-ish, when things were winding down.  I told him we weren't close enough to see if the little finger puppet had made his appearance and he said absolutely, he was there.  I wondered then if that's what was cracking him and JJ up.

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #30 
Sounds like y'all had a blast pricessrayray and SwampCracka! Sounds like the band was on! I love RR too. Great stuff. You and SwampCracka both flipped out over the Fry Guy...don't suppose you could direct to Fla? Loves my fries. Yeah SC they cut 2 songs. This is the pre-show setlist:
Hide & Seek
War
A Woman
Country Ghetto
Brighter Days
GA Warhorse
Lochloosa
Everything Good
Slow Hot Sweaty
Orange Blossoms
Ho Cake
Sweetest Thing
Shining Down
On Fire
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #31 

I don't think AC goes anywhere without his finger puppet! Too funny. That may be what JJ was laughing about too. I know that AC and Todd are always laughing about it cause the thing has a mind of it's own and spins at different speeds and directions and they're always watching it and laughing. Reason I know is I asked them a little while back what the hell they were laughing about constantly on stage and he said THE FINGER PUPPET! I snapped a pic of it at Windjammer

princessrayray

Reply with quote  #32 
I love the finger puppet!  I can't remember what he said it's name was.  Anyone else know? 

Bad Habit

Traveling Ambassador of Goodwill
Reply with quote  #33 
notfadeaway - I must have seen you as I was also against the railing - front and center.  I was the drowned rat

princessrayray - after asking the fifth person, "Hey, are you princessrayray?" and getting strange looks, I figured it wasn't meant to be  Hope I get to meet you at some point - maybe at a Ponderosa show (they're playing in August at Smith's in Atlanta)

swamp cracka - saw lots of strollers - maybe you were one of them - sorry we didn't get to meet

Like princessrayray, I was there starting with Ponderosa (love them!), really enjoyed Dirty Guv'nahs (saw them the night before in Chattanooga), and wasn't the biggest fan of Dr. Dog either.  I was thinking I didn't enjoy them as much because of the weather and waiting for Mofro, but maybe they just weren't that good.  I need to give them another listen.  

The day started off HOT, but fortunately there was plenty of cold beer.  Don't know how I missed the Fry Guy?  Actually, I guess I didn't see much of anything besides the music - once I got there, I was there!  My friends wandered off and visited all the craft booths - said they were good.

Boy, did it RAIN!!!  I was fortunate enough to snatch my little cousin's hat to cover my face so I didn't drown (and to save my mascara  .  I don't think I've ever gotten that wet  - at least on purpose!  My fingers were all shriveled and pruned for a couple of hours afterwards.  The rain definitely cooled things off - before Mofro came on and I started dancing, I was freezing :0

Yes, the guys definitely seemed in extra good spirits, which was nice to see!  

I ran into FireFly for a brief second as well as my friends from Alabama.  I also ran into Keith Taylor from Keith Taylor Photography (first met him at the Atlanta show).  I know he was here on the board at least once, but I don't think he visits often???

Is AC's finger puppet named Mr. Meanie?  Not sure where I get that from.
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #34 

At the Handlebar back in Feb, I was chit chating with AC before the show, and he told me his finger puppet's name was indeed Mr. Meanie.  Great memory Bad Habit!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
princessrayray

Reply with quote  #35 
Bad Habit, that's TOO funny!  I wish we'd have been able to meet!  I think next show we need to have "hi my name is" stickers and have a designated spot for all the mofrofans to meet up at!  LOL!!  And how could I forget his name was Mr. Meanie!  I remember now!  And sad to say,  you definitely missed the Fry Guy.  Luckily, you can follow him on fb (along with Pinky, the pink cupcake truck for Yum Yum Cupcakes) and stalk him around Atlanta. 

I'll definitely have to try and make the Smith's show for Ponderosa.  My BF said he wasn't sure if he was gonna like this 2nd cd they're working on because it seems slower.  But I'm definitely going to buy it anyways...I have to support the boys!  And no, it wasn't just the weather and excitement over JJ....Dr. Dog just wasn't all that great.  I've watched enough of their videos on YouTube to decide they just weren't my kind of band.  I have to say though, in the past six months, I've discovered that I must've been living under a rock all these years.  JJ and the boys are my all-time favorite band ever, but I alternate them with Warren Haynes.  I can't seem to get enough of him!  I love his solo stuff more than the Gov't Mule stuff, but I still dig it.  And I love his new band's cd Man in Motion.  Warren lead to a love of Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks, and the TTB (which I also saw in Atlanta a little bit ago.)  Where have I been all these years?  Thank God I've seen the light and it's all   now! 

FireFly

Mofrofans.com Interplanetary

Ambassador

Reply with quote  #36 
what a neat little free little festival, guess it's part of a golfcourse?
it was hot as balls when I got there and the red stripes were going down fast and easy, the rain actually sobered me up again,lol
loved LOVED ponderosa!!!!  dirty gov'nahs were fun too. it was too hot to eat at first. I was liking all the food trucks.
I frolicked around the rain a bit , decided to go to the car and change , but ended up waiting out the storm. when I got back the band was coming on, a little late but they were in good spirits, jj just laid right into the songs, having a good time. I think they let them go over 15 min and took some from robert to make it fair I guess.
the crowd was into it all the way, singing the lyrics and hands in da air.
even though some of us have seen the band gazillion times , there are still folks that haven't , and they like and love to hear some of the songs that maybe we have heard too often.
as much as would like a diff setlist , from jj view onstage, when everybody is singing his lochloosa, I can understand why he smiles.

funniest thing I overheard at a show in a long time
2 guys next to me
"yo you ever seen these guys? they awesome, I've been seeing them for a loong time, since it was just 2 of them, jj in a chair with the guy in the hat"
haha, daryl ever wear a cowboy hat?

just proves to you that most people don't REALLy pay attention, not like us die-hards, but they go to the show , they will sing their hearts out to loochloosa, dance to OB and buy the cd's.

( funny quotes from rombello )
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter