Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #1 

what a fun time last night!!  I should have taken my camera as it was professional cameras not allowed ... I just didn't want my camera confiscated.  Oh well.

Got in line as soon as we could.  I wore my M*O*F*R*O tee to let everyone know in no uncertain terms, who I was there for   Doors opened at 6:30 and we all started piling in.  We hung with harp .... 20 and his buddy.  Got pretty decent seat on the upper level.  But you know me, I gotta be upfront  so I headed down to the floor for to see Our Boys.  Of course there were panic fans already lined up for their view of their band.  I talked a very nice guy, Jay, asked if I could trade spots with him just for the opening act.  He was quite hesitant and he said he has done that before but never got his spot.  I assured him that I was there for M*O*F*R*O and as soon as their set was over and I got my setlist I would be out of sight.  He agreed and I let him know what a wonderful gesture it was and how that made my evening!

The guys were having a great time and it was so good to see them smiling through out the show.  Dennis and Art were strutting their moves and it was fun to watch.  At one point JJ was banging on his tambourine out of sync on purpose right next to AC and laughing.  I think he was trying to mess with him. 

War was as strong opener! and Ybor City was awesome.  I couldn't believe it when they did The Sun Is Shining Down.  I have been waiting for well over a year to hear that song.  It is one of my favorites and holds a special meaning close to my heart.  JJ was quite taken with emotion performing this song, as I could feel it as well. 

Oh, and he told the SH&S story and I was just a cracking up! 

Lochloosa was incredible!  for only performing 9 songs, I felt like I got my money's worth.  Junior ... wow ... it was just nonstop!  Been quite a while since I have heard that one as well.

I enjoyed myself up there, up front as the lone Mofro Fan in a sea of panic.  After their set, I got my setlist from Colin and headed back up to Gregg, my sister and harp ...20. 

I did enjoy Panic, but not really knowing any of their songs made it not as fun as it could have been.  But they have some great fans and they were quite amusing to watch.  What I found a bit unusual, was a break or intermission of well over 45 minutes.  And the glass of wine I purchased, or should I say shot of wine was just short of embarrassing.  I swear it was just about 2 oz. 

We got back home and hung out on the Front Porch, my sister and I, and danced til 4am.  Had a great time last night, but now it is off to making my Smoked Salmon  Caramelized Ramp cheesecake with smoked gouda and a parmesean butter crust.  Put the Salmon on the smoker at 10 this morning.

Have a beautiful day and now go and put on some M*O*F*R*O!!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
FireFly

Mofrofans.com Interplanetary

Ambassador

Reply with quote  #2 
thanks sunny, your reviews are always the best , before I had met you I would just read them but now where I know you and your personality I can just see you out there while I read the words, convincing the guy to trade spot , so each of you can be in front for their fav band. bouncin around with your mofro shirt&signed jeans. awesome!!!!
as for panic, I've seen some good and some so-so shows, I don't go out of my way to see them but if they happen to play and I can enjoy myself. 45min break???? thats bs, guess thats when everybody had time to do their drugs to than get arrest for them,lol

( funny quotes from rombello )
harmonicasp20

Reply with quote  #3 
Great review Sunny. Nothing i can really add to that. Did enjoy getting to sit and talk to you, Gregg, and your sister. Just like you said, I got my money's worth. Always do. As far as panic goes. Very interesting. It was fun to see all of the people acting the way they did and wearing what they were wearing. WSP did sound good. I too wish I knew more of their songs. Anyway great night all around. After JJ was done, a guy behind me was asking a little about them. Where they were from,about loochloosa etc. Said he liked the way they interacted with the crowd. I told him it's like that at every show. He should see a whole show at that. 
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #4 
Brought it right home to us sunny, thank you. Nice of the guy to let you in. You have an honest face. I've seen panic once at a festival and it was for about 3 or 4 songs and I liked them okay. The fans are a pretty cool bunch. They bling it up huh?! Sounds like the guys reeled in some new fans, of course. That's a great setlist to play for a crowd that's mostly new to the band.

Was the place filled up? (A 45 min set break huh? Don't know that my patience woulda held out that long. Jeez!)
Sunshine

Reply with quote  #5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1
Brought it right home to us sunny, thank you. Nice of the guy to let you in. You have an honest face. I've seen panic once at a festival and it was for about 3 or 4 songs and I liked them okay. The fans are a pretty cool bunch. They bling it up huh?! Sounds like the guys reeled in some new fans, of course. That's a great setlist to play for a crowd that's mostly new to the band.

Was the place filled up? (A 45 min set break huh? Don't know that my patience woulda held out that long. Jeez!)

yes it was sold out.  I was a bit disappointed that there was no merch table set up.  I was sooo looking forward to getting one of those Bar Flyers that DT and his buddy created.  I also wanted to get a couple of those wonderful business cards to hand out at the show.  I can only hope they will have them at the Rib Fest.

the crowd was fun to watch.  There was this one guy with long hair in a pony tail, I think, wearing a wedding dress that was too small for him playing a very coloful pretent gee-tar .... lol, couldn't close the dress  in the back.

It was also pretty cool that when we were walking to the Civic center, we were on one side of the street walking up hill and I was thinking that we could easily see one of them walking around town, and as soon as I thought that, there was Trube walking downhill on the other side of the street with his earbuds on, and I gave a litte wave and was surprised that he waved back, there were folks EVERYWHERE.

I just loved the whole experience.  as I was up front singing every word to every song (cept Junior, that is a tough one for me) I could see the panic fans looking at me like I was some kind of groupie or something, lol!!

musiclovinmom

Reply with quote  #6 
[QUOTE I could see the panic fans looking at me like I was some kind of groupie or something, lol!! Great review Sunshine!!!  As far as some kind of groupie - a lot of our friends keep asking us if we've become Mofro groupies - I just tell them "no we're just great fans - we ain't sleeping with the band, so we can't be groupies right"
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #7 

Speak for yourself mom.

musiclovinmom

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1

Speak for yourself mom.

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #9 

Your welocme all!  I love to write my reviews so I can print em out and have them for momentos later, lol!

ashevillain

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine

It was also pretty cool that when we were walking to the Civic center, we were on one side of the street walking up hill and I was thinking that we could easily see one of them walking around town, and as soon as I thought that, there was Trube walking downhill on the other side of the street with his earbuds on, and I gave a litte wave and was surprised that he waved back, there were folks EVERYWHERE.

You should have gone to the Lexington Avenue Brewery. The whole band was there both nights after they played their set. JJ and Todd even sat in with Col. Bruce on Saturday for a couple songs. I didn't catch the Saturday aftershow but a friend of mine did. I was there for the Friday aftershow but no one from Mofro sat in with the band (Velvet Truckstop)....they were just hanging out Friday.
Sunshine

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashevillain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine

You should have gone to the Lexington Avenue Brewery. The whole band was there both nights after they played their set. JJ and Todd even sat in with Col. Bruce on Saturday for a couple songs. I didn't catch the Saturday aftershow but a friend of mine did. I was there for the Friday aftershow but no one from Mofro sat in with the band (Velvet Truckstop)....they were just hanging out Friday.

awe mayan .... that would have been fun!  I appreciate the heads up, maybe next time!!

Brighter Day

Reply with quote  #12 
Great review, Sunshine!  I sure was wishin that I woulda been up front with
you.  Can't believe you were the only FroFan.  Unheard of.  I'm a little late
commenting - we just spent 3 days in Sanibel lsland.  Have fun on Saturday!
We won't be there - prior commitment.

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighter Day

Thanks Brighter Day!! Not sure if I was the only 'Fro fan, but upfront it sure felt like it. 

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighter Day
  Sad to hear you and your lesser half won't be for ribs and rhythm this wknd Brighter Day. Hope you didn't get too sunburned at Sanibel so you can save your skin for the 2 days at Windjammer! Lookin forward to seeing y'all then if not before.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter