Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
IndyMofro'er

Reply with quote  #1 
MMMF in Phoenix, AZ.

Anyone else besides me going to see the fellas play?
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #2 

Not me.

IndyMofro'er

Reply with quote  #3 
What if I told you Dave might be there? Would that sway ya?
FireFly

Mofrofans.com Interplanetary

Ambassador

Reply with quote  #4 

I'm still curious how the band is making this one, guess they be flying there than back to louisiana

( funny quotes from rombello )
IndyMofro'er

Reply with quote  #5 

This was one of the things JJ talked to me about last week in Bloomington.  I mentioned to him I'd be at McDowell.  He laughed saying how crazy it was going to be playing New Orleans, flying to Phoenix for a show the next night, and then back to Lafayette, LA. the next night.  I joked with him about all the frequent flier miles he'd rack up and he said "Damn, I never thought about that!"

Delerious Tyme

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #6 

I will be there, Sammmigrrl will be there and possibly Hog Caller.

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #7 

DT you gotta tell the story again of the show three years ago there. I know you've told it before but there's lots of people that probly ain't heard it. It's a great story.

Hog Caller

Reply with quote  #8 
Yes Sir... Hog Caller will be there. And if I'm lucky maybe I can catch a ride w/ DT

Reply with quote  #9 
bump....

This show is under 2 weeks away...  I'll try and tell the story before it happens...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #10 
*bump*

This is happening this Friday... 

Roll Call?

1. DT & ladyfriend
2. Sammmmiiiigrll
3. Indy Mofro'er
4. TullyMars
5. Jay S. ?
6. Hog Caller ?

lazyep

Reply with quote  #11 
And what's the story DT??
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #12 

MMMF – 2008

As some of you may recall, this website got it’s start back in January of 2008.  Country Ghetto had been out for just about a year and the guys were touring like mad, like they always do.  After having stumbled upon Mofro way back in 2006, like a lot of you I assume and before this website, I found it hard to find new info on the band.  I was googling everything from A-Z Mofro everyday, nare, every hour in order to satisfy my fix.  That’s when Clay came along with the website and just like the band, I stumbled upon it when it came out, lurked for quite some time but never joined or posted on the board. 

In April of 2008, the guys were coming back my way for the McDowell Mountain Music Festival (MMMF) in Scottsdale, AZ.  Of course, I was going.  This time I was bringing my girlfriend for her first show, she is now my wife.  Before going to the show, I was telling her about the band, what was going to happen, things of that nature.  My premonitions, if you will, were that we would be up on stage with the band, she would get to meet the band, and they would play her favorite song, The Sun is Shining Down. 

By now you are probably asking, how would you get up on stage with the band?  Well, the Festival is run for and gives all of it’s profits to charity, to where, at the time, they had a thing called, ‘Best Seat In The House’.  It was where you could purchase a $10 ticket and it was a raffle to get to sit up on stage with the band in a plush couch for the entire set of the band in which you bought the raffle ticket for.  The revenue obviously went to charity as well.  JJ Grey & Mofro had an afternoon set, I think from 3:30 to 5 pm if I remember right, and were followed by Blues Traveler and John Butler Trio. 

Upon arriving at MMMF, I went straight to the raffle tent and purchased 3 tickets for the Mofro set.  My girlfriend and I were sitting and waiting before thier set when she turned to me and said, “You should have let me buy the raffle tickets, I’m good luck.”  Of course, right as she said that, a voice came out over the speakers announcing the winner and well, they said my name!

We ventured back stage where we ran into the guys, but did not bother them, they were all hanging out with other people and we did not want to interrupt.  They took us up on stage right before the set, sat us about 10 feet away from Daryl and right next to the sound booth.  The guys came out and put on one hell of a show, even with it being a short set.  Art and Dennis were not to far away and were joking around with us in between songs, giving us thumbs up, making faces and so forth.  They played The Sun Is Shining Down and JJ came over and sat down next to us after singing his heart out for it.  We didn’t bother him during this either as he tends to be in his own world during that time, obviously thinking about his Grandfather and the nature of why he wrote the song.   

Before and throughout the set, we were introduced to Danny Owen, the tour manager at the time.  Ya’ll know him as MOFROTM.  He came up and congratulated us on winning the raffle, made sure we were having a good time, offered the sound booth to use if we thought it would be a better view, ya know, Danny being Danny.  Of course, he did all this while working his ass off, which was super cool of him.  After the show he grabbed a set list for us. 

The Festival had a tent after each show where the band was allowed to hang out and sign autographs/meet and greet the fans.  We ventured there to chat with the guys, have them sign the set list and hang out.  This was AC’s third show with the band if I remember correctly and Adam was still with them. 

After hanging out with the guys, I found Danny outside the tent talking on his cell phone.  I waited until he was done talking and went up to him to thank him for everything he did and so forth.  We got to talking a little more about the band and I mentioned the Fan Site.  He said he had not seen it yet much less even knew it existed.  So, I gave him my business card and he said to hit him up online with the URL so he could check it out.  After going home, I finally stopped lurking and became a member.  Told Danny about the site to which he became a member as well.  I started a friendship with Clay that has been sustained without meeting in person to this very day.  The band and their management became aware of this site for the first time after that discussion with Danny and the rest is history.  This site was pretty small back then and not many knew of it’s existence, including the band themselves.  After MMMF 2008, it started to take huge strides in gaining members, having a good relationship with the band, it’s management and so forth. 

It was a show that I will never forget, not only for the experience, but for the big first step it created for this website and providing the foundation for what we have today.  It was the start of me being a member of this site, becoming friends with Clay, providing the chance and opportunity to meet people like D.O.E., FireFly, Redfishroy & Wife, Sammmiigrll, and Hog Caller.  It provided me with my ever growing fix for everything Mofro.   Everything I predicted for my girlfriend before the show happened, but I could have never predicted how this Fan Site has grown, helped the band to spread it’s popularity, and become an unbelievable place to meet great people, initiate great times, and most of all, memories that, forgive me if I quote JJ, “make life worth livin’, worth livin’…  

Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #13 

Love it DT!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
TullyMars

Reply with quote  #14 
We'll be at MMMF, too. We've now seen JJ and Mofro in Denver, Boulder, Vail, Winter Park, and got down to Jax Beach for New Year's at Freebird last Dec/Jan. Clay and FireFly treated us well in Florida (Thank you both!). Would love to meet up with more Mofro fans in Scottsdale. We are flyin in Fri AM and have tix for the whole weekend.
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #15 

looks like our board will be well represented!!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #16 
I'm getting pumped for this show!  Just two days away!

I just wish I didn't have so much work to do between now and then, not to mention after the show...  Thank God they are playing the 29th and not the 30th or I would not have been able to go!!!

Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #17 
*bump*

FireFly

Mofrofans.com Interplanetary

Ambassador

Reply with quote  #18 
Hi tullymars, that's so cool!!!
Have fun!!!
Hope y'all get to hangout together

( funny quotes from rombello )
Bad Habit

Traveling Ambassador of Goodwill
Reply with quote  #19 
DT -  LOVE your story!!!
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #20 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Habit
DT -  LOVE your story!!!

Thanks BH, I love it too...  I'm trying to find some of the pictures I took from on stage, when I find them I'll post them.   I also have the video for pretty much the entire show.  I'll have to sort through my files and maybe post some of it on You Tube.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter