Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
fanFROmchicago

Reply with quote  #1 
In no particular order, because I may have been intoxicated, the songs JJ did on tuesday.

Hide and Seek
Brighter days
Beautiful World
Lochloosa
A Woman
Higher you Climb
By My Side
Georgia Warhorse
Slow Hot And Sweaty
Orange Blossoms
Ho Cake
Sweetest Thing

Junior

The order is close but not perfect because I'm doing this from memory...  Venue was very nice, and everyone had a great time.  (JJ too).  He congradulated Chicago because it was the "gig that got him Shit-faced".

He was in good company!
d.o.e

Official Director of Excess
Reply with quote  #2 
love when he gets shitfaced!
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #3 

Thanks FRO!

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #4 

modifab texted me there was a taper there!

Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #5 

thanks for the update FRO!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
ploof76

Reply with quote  #6 
I was there with fro, it was definitely a good time. That was only my 2nd time seeing him as I'm a bit of a JJ rookie and it was the first I saw solo.

We were all definitely feeling good by the 2nd half of the set. Especially JJ.
modifab

Reply with quote  #7 
Allright Allright! Here we go!!

So I'll try my hand at this whole "review" thang. I try to refrain since I typically end up shitfaced by showtime and have a hard time picking up the pieces the next day. The last few shows though, I've been quite clear headed for the most part and damn if it aint a sumbitch... I still have a hard time remembering the details! LOL! I said clear headed "for the most part" And sorry ladies, I never take photos at shows, I'm useless with the computer, a lousy photographer and I'm too caught up in the performance to take enough care any way. Now on with it...

So starting with the venue SPACE. A perfect room for this kinda show! As Dustin (Ox) already said, the stock at the bar was plentiful! Although I only needed Bourby. A very rich sounding room! Capacity...maybe 300 would be a stretch and there was room to breathe. An old room indeed with vintage arched cieling and wooden beam structure overhead. Hardwood floor throughout and 90% of the masonry walls are saturated with acoustical panels done in a very artful tact. Over those is a sheer transparent drape around the room to further dampen the acoustics. Top notch for a quality music room! The bar/resturant in front called The Union, very cool as well. SPACE is an acronym standing for Society for Preservation of Art and Culture in Evanston. Definately an artsy feel to this whole northern suburb of Chicago. SPACE wasn't anything like a Filet Mignon supper club that the folks out west experienced, although that would suit me just fine too, for an intimate show like this of course, not a Mofro set. Mofro could definately get it on in SPACE! Haa! That sounds funny...

Devyn and I were very lucky to get in early! We planned on standing in the back but much to our surprise, there were several rows of chairs "not reserved" around the forward perimeter of the room. The reserved tables of course were center stage. We landed perfect seating in my opinion! Half way back and it was only about 20 feet from the stage.

Shannon's up first. Wow she's fantastic! Her music isn't "all for me" but the talent is remarkable. Very nice voice, quite charming with a sort of Southern Hospitality feel to her story telling, with good reason as she calls Oxford Mississippi home. She explained that she's from the Northeast though and a funny story with that about her elders now living in the south with her. She had concern seeing as how it just hit over 90 there a few days back so she had to call and check in to make sure things weren't liquifying. Said she's sendin em back home for August. Her story about landing in Oxford is great! She literally ends up being neighbors with the Dickinsons. Paid nice homage to Mr. Dickinson (Jim), Father of Luther and Cody of course of the North Mississippi Allstars which many of you are in the know. Played a song she recorded with Jim a few years back before he passed in 09. Played a few Pinetop Perkins tunes too as a dedication, Mr. Perkins passed on Monday this week. One of the last great Mississippi Bluesmen still doin it until most recently. R.I.P. I was fortunate to have met Shannon very briefely while in Oxford last month at a post show gathering with the boys. It was nice to be able to see her do her thing to warm up JJ to say the least. Thanks to her!

WOW! This is all from memory!! Holy shit y'all!! Only thing I noted was JJ's setlist on my Blackberry so I could post it accurately here for ya's.  

Okay okay! On to the good shit right? Well hell... what else can I possibly say that hasn't already been said in all the great reviews of the recent solo sets? Really more of a nod in agreement to all of it at this point. There's certainly something to the whole Sound Technician game. They definately are "not" all created equal! I'm not sure how much of that comes down to the gear being played like mic's and guitars but the room was booming with the sound of JJ's rich vocal, guitar and harp compared to Mrs. McNally's set. I think it was after the third song, Beautiful World, that Chris bombed up on stage from the sound board and he and JJ proceeded through this crazy ass Chinese Firedrill to lose the chair he was using and move the piano bench into position for him. How this was communicated to Chris to be choreographed like that in stride I'll neva know, but they were like swiss watches making the impromtu change for JJ. He shot the crowd a funny look with the eyes and all in mid stride to assure us.."this'll jis take a sec y'aaawwwwll". LOL! The piano was off to the side of the stage and the gear bags were laid out on the bench but it's lucky it was there for the improv. We were quickly losing the schtomp box cuz the higher approach angle for his leg off the higher chair had him chasing the thing right off the stage. The lower bench had his knee a bit higher so he could drop his foot down on it much more squarely. The whole thing was quite funny really and like 3 songs later he was still fussin with it sayin he was gonna run the thing out the door so "phuggit" he says... I'ma jis play and drank!!

So the set was definately played through a little adversity. He'd had a long couple days in the air to make Aunt Judy's funeral that passed on Friday last week. Things were clearly frustrating him, emotions were high, and I get the feeling he's not been gettin whooped up on the shit a whole lot lately so the alchohol was kickin his dislexia in just a smidge, which is way cool in my opinion! Knowing so much of the material for so long, it's funny to see him get loose and get shit backwards from time to time. Most times he doesn't acknowledge it but he did a couple times Tuesday. I wish like hell I could remember in which song it happened, I'm sure it was Junior for the encore which was sooooooo badass by the way! But he had the entirely wrong harp racked in his suspension rig and when he hit dat sumbitch in full strum it was like the needle scratchin off the record and the room comes to a hault. The look he shot the crowd and his expression mixed with his now dejected strumming screetchin to a hault...  "Aww hell at aint even the right harp"! He says...Sooo funny! It was like we all bit into a huge lemon wedge at the same time. Very funny and quick recovery of course. Says he meant it just to mix it up, did this happen at some other shows too?

Shit what else...? Oh yeah. The story in Slow Hot and Sweaty of course. Even funnier in this setting as he gets more involved and further in setting the whole thing up. This was my 8th show since December so I've heard it a bit now. Waaay funnier Tuesday night!

Now I'm sure he used it more than I noticed but it was only very apparent when he played Junior. He layed down the looping backing track right there fresh on the spot and then got a laugh outta the room with it. This was our only encore and he really made it a special feature! Went through the entire history of Junior from what I could gather from memory of all the old recordings and reading through the old threads here. After the story time and the bulk of the song along with the wrong harp loaded in the rack and all. He brought the room way on down, I mean way waay waaaayyyy the phuggoonnn DOWN!! Turned the looped track down quite a bit so he could showcase some phenomenal plucking on his guitar. Now like I mentioned before. He'd been run down the previous couple days, emotional, highly aggrivated and now at the end of it all he was clearly a lil shitfaced to help matters. JJ WENT OFF for a few minutes flexing his greeezy ass git fiddlin skillz with such passion and fervor! I know that's been used recently to describe his showmanship and I hate to sound like a sheep, but this particular few minutes was like a god damn volcano about to erupt that slowly receeded back to simmer, there are no better words to describe it. I mentioned earlier the hardwood floors... Well through this breakdown because it was so quiet in the room, most everyone in the room was tapping their feet on the wood to keep a rather tight time with the very low backing track to my pleasant surprise!  He wouldn't look up, I could tell he was about to lose it and start balling, somehow he managed to keep his shit together through playing. At the point he'd had it brought "so far down"... He had to lift his head from his lap and when doing so? He let out the most primal exhausting exhale while he thrashed his head around so as not to do it into the microphone. He was clearly in another place for the moments leading up to this. The power and energy in the room was sooo captivating!! The sound that purged from JJ was like that of a boxer that exhales through his teeth as hard as he can. Cept... you could literally see the spray come out his nose and mouth and even though he basicaly did it over his shoulder.. you could clearly hear it through the mic it was so strong!

I'm bummed in the sense that I was in high hopes for Tupelo Honey to accompany the encore. Yet I'm very happy he even came out to do an encore. The last song of the set was Sweetest Thing with a bit about Aunt Judy and when he got up, his demeanor when he threw his harp rig down on the table next to him said... I phuggin had it! I truly thought we may actually not see him back out. It wouldn't have surprised me.

I completely blew it in not making an oppurtunity to talk to the taper y'all! Y'all can scorn me...LOL! He just had a very small free standing rig in the back over head, nothing patched into the board so I really don't know how that goes. I should've at least done what I could to make sure he gets the file in Stans hands just in case he's not "that guy". My fingers are most certainly crossed!

I know there were more frofans from the site there too but we kinda snuck in later and didn't wanna give up excellent seats to rove around. It was a great pleasure meeting the Ox's (Dustin and Angie) and the Ball Lickers (Tracy and Steve)! No doubt... those ladies had headaches for all of us Wednesday morning! JJ was teasin Steve about how much trouble he was in early on. Too funny! True story how I picked Tracy outta the crowd, which I was pretty sure it was her anyway. But after we were seated for about 10 minutes, Tracy just looks up in mid conversation with her crew and hollers out to the room... "YOU HERE YET SHAWN?" LMMFAO!

Had a chance to chat Chris up for a few after the set. He was pleasant. Said they were in for a nice night cuz they were staying up town at the booking agents place so hopefully it was a homey kinda night for the fellas. Back to the Hilton for a nitecap and fast asleep by about 1a.m. Still have a huge smile on my face! People!! Especially Sunshine!! MAKE THIS HAPPEN!! To further what Danny said in his City Winery review. This man needs no horns, no full funk band.... That's all extra credit at this point as hard as that is to imagine! He does however need Chris, it's my opinion that Chris is one of the most important members of the band and is a key role in JJ's success. There's a reason why he's been there since Scone hoppin in some time around 04. It's a good recipe that works! He's definately not riding on JJ's coat tails or whatever was said recently. Sure, plenty others could do it, but if it aint broke y'all....People we are truely blessed to have this music to carry us through. Truely a soundtrack for life as it rolls through it's highs and lows. JJ's well seasoned vocal and guitar playing make him a true virtuoso in my opinion. So so lucky is how I feel!

That's gonna be it for me for a while traveling to shows. It's been great fun since I've showed up here to stink the place up. 2 here in Michigan, 3 down in Sunny FLA when it really counted in January, Mississippi, Missouri and now Illinois. My busy racing schedule through the summer will keep me hungry for a few shows later this year fo show! Although... Mofro at Tips has been on my radar since I first got into these guys way back when. Gonna be hard not to deploy for the Crescent City coming up! All in all. Of course I love the new material. The band as a whole is in a great place for me being a big Greyhounds fan and not enough can be said about Mr. Cole and Mr. Smallie. Seeing this solo deal now after all this has culminated over the years for me as a true fan was just.........................

Here's the setlist I noted in the phone along the way. I just couldn't bring myself to be texin a real time setlist to The King during the show. Great stories throughout but nothing accompanying Lochloosa. Guess at this point ya know?

Hide & Seek
Brighter Days
Beautiful World
A Woman
Higher You Climb
Lochloosa
Georgia Warhorse
By My Side
Orange Blossoms
Schloowww Hot & Schweddayyyy
Ho Cake
Sweetest Thing w/Aunt Judy Tribute... Passed Friday

Encore: How Junior Got His Head Put Out w/the most riveting breakdown  along with the crowd foot tappin!!

Gawd I hope that taper hoox us up! What a moron I am for not following up!

Reply with quote  #8 

awesome review mod.. You replaced all memories the sierra evaporated. It was all of what you have stated.. glad you made it home.. see ya down the road..

giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #9 
Wow! Epic review modifab. Thanks for sharing, your words pulled the reader right into the room.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

modifab

Reply with quote  #10 
Hey thanx guys. Yeah Ox, right on par with all my recent mofroad trips, it was a bit of schlippin aaaand schliiidin with freezing rain.

Dang that was really long. Sorry MF1... Take your time, You'll prolly get through it by about ohhh... Thanksgivin or so...

Seriously though. I'm still all jacked up about that show! Stunning it was!

Life is good...

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #11 

quite impressive review modifab!  I had to set aside an hour just so as I could really be able to read and soak it up!!  fantasitic and thank you for taking the time to share with us!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
Grit

Reply with quote  #12 
Great review MOD!  I was also glad that JJ got to get himself a bit drunk and have a good time. Even though he had some goof ups. We were front row center and during one song he went to the wrong chord and then quickly switched to the right one. I swear that he made it through until he saw my wifes face (she grinned cause he missed the chord) and sure enough he let out a good sized smile when he knew he was caught! HAHA I had forgotten that till now.

MOD's review of JJ hanging his tired head towards the end was SPOT ON. He looked absolutely exhausted. And his messing around with his looping backtrack was all "off the cuff" He was turning it faster and slower and louder and softer and seemed to get a kick out of telling us how he doesnt much like technology.

THE TAPER!!!!! Not to worry all. I spoke to the taper after the show as we were filing out. He said that he usually puts his stuff up on etree. I asked him "when" and he said probably in a week. So keep your eyes on etree and eventually it should pop up there.

Still sorry I havent had a chance to load my pics yet. I will try and get that done on my lunch hour. And I will post the video of the "Slow, Hot and Sweaty intro. It was the only thing I recorded but well worth it!

modifab

Reply with quote  #13 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit
Great review MOD!  I was also glad that JJ got to get himself a bit drunk and have a good time. Even though he had some goof ups. We were front row center and during one song he went to the wrong chord and then quickly switched to the right one. I swear that he made it through until he saw my wifes face (she grinned cause he missed the chord) and sure enough he let out a good sized smile when he knew he was caught! HAHA I had forgotten that till now.

MOD's review of JJ hanging his tired head towards the end was SPOT ON. He looked absolutely exhausted. And his messing around with his looping backtrack was all "off the cuff" He was turning it faster and slower and louder and softer and seemed to get a kick out of telling us how he doesnt much like technology.

THE TAPER!!!!! Not to worry all. I spoke to the taper after the show as we were filing out. He said that he usually puts his stuff up on etree. I asked him "when" and he said probably in a week. So keep your eyes on etree and eventually it should pop up there.

Still sorry I havent had a chance to load my pics yet. I will try and get that done on my lunch hour. And I will post the video of the "Slow, Hot and Sweaty intro. It was the only thing I recorded but well worth it!

Right on Grit! Sorry to have missed meetin you guys. Next time.. I'll make that trip every time. You guys definately had the hot spot! I couldn't see any of his widgets being seated a lil behind y'all. We were over against the right wall a few rows in front of the sound board. The room filled up right behind us, can't believe we snagged great seats!

So Grit? Was he using the looping gear a bit more through the set in a subtle manner? I'm not a musician so I'm kinda deaf to the technology. I noticed it right away in a video that was posted a few weeks back as it was so aparrent like Tuesday's encore. If so... I was in laalaa land and had no idea.

And I knew I brought ya for a reason! LOL! Good to hear we may catch up with the recording at some point. I'll just have to figger out what an etree is. I'm floundering as it is just learning about the LMA. Damn kids in this electronical age...

Admin
Reply with quote  #14 
Goodness gracious modifab for someone who says he's gonna try his hand at this review thing I think u nailed it. You HAD to have been taking notes cause I KNOW you didn't write all that from memory. Thanks to you and Grit for bringing it home for us. There's so many things to comment on I'll have to come back (with coffee). (I've read it. Seriously I have.) Glad u got to meet ox and that he's not as ugly as his profile pic.

Hey ploof since you've been to one of each, do you like one over the other? (We won't bite. Promise.)
Grit

Reply with quote  #15 
Yea Mod, we had pretty damn good seats. I think the tables were set in order that we ordered tix so Im glad I ordered when we did!!!
As far as the looping gear goes, he did not use it at all during the show until the encore. I play a tiny but of guitar and was really paying attention to his playing. I would have noticed if he were using that.
I will have to start searching for the recording. I have no idea how to use etree either but I have a buddy that does so when I find it Ill just have him put it on a CD for me. I will let you know when I find it.
I HOPE to have the video up today that has the Slow Hot and Sweaty intro on it. Ill post something when its up. I cant wait to let everyone hear JJ mistake Hellen Keller for Linda Blair! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Classic!

Lumberingox

Reply with quote  #16 

Echo... I pray for the taper to come through.. Lookn forward to your vid GRIT. I have not seen anything on youtube yet..

modifab

Reply with quote  #17 
Swear it MF1... Only noted the setlist. LMAO! I KNOW! Right?

Oh and Ox straightened me out on the "wrong harp" sillyness. It was in Gerogia Warhorse. See Clay? I'm still wonderin if that's happened at any of these other solo shows or if it was really from the hip like that.

And yeah Grit. I didn't think he was loopin really until it was obvious. I was watchin pretty intently too, just couldn't see his foot action at all. I could tell when he'd fuss with the bass trigger cuz he was kinda humpin around to git afta that thang...LOL!

Reply with quote  #18 
Whoops!! LMAO! Just noticed... I plopped my review in the wrong thread...

Jackass....

Sorry

Print

Quick Navigation:

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter