Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
lazyep

Reply with quote  #1 
Has anyone been to this festival before? The band is going to be playing on April 7th and I'm considering going but the looks of things there will be a lot of bands at different venues and you just have to show up outside the one you'd like to get into and hope for the best. While this just happen to work out for me at the Bamboo Room, I'm not so sure I want to thread my way through thousands of people in hopes of making it into the right theater. Any advice?
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #2 
Good question lazyep. Their website isn't very helpful. Most of the links don't work. The ticket link works, I'm sure that's what you saw. It's pretty screwy. I copied it and put up here and see if someone knows more about it all. Glad you asked!

Florida Music Festival Pass

• Florida Music Festival 2011 Orlando, FL
  • Florida Music Festival 2011
    Purchase your 3 day pass to the 10th Annual Florida Music Festival:
    Better than Ezra, JJ Grey & Mofro, Minus the Bear, Easy All Stars, Passafire, The Ettes, and 200 more emerging artists around the country.

3 DAY PASSES being offered for a discount price of $25 for a limited time only, guaranteeing access to FMF2011 for all three nights. $25 for all three days. Single day wristbands will be made available. (Thur: $15, Fri: $10, Sat $10.) Limited number of passes available, each venue subject to capacity and age restrictions.

Passes are non-transferable, non-refundable.

please visit FloridaMusicFestival.com for more information.
  • Thu, April 7, 2011 7:00 PM
  • $25.00
  • 18 and Over
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #3 

So I'm with you...if we want to just go to the mofro show we can get a one day wristband but then show up at the Beacham and hope we get in?

fnovoa

Reply with quote  #4 
I think i will be going to this.
Swampfunkster

Reply with quote  #5 

The Beacham Theater opened on December 9, 1921 as a vaudeville and movie theater. In 1936 it became a full time movie theater. Around 1964 it became a Cinerama theater. Later it became known by other names, and in the early 1990's the Orlando "Rave" Scene was written up in Rolling Stone Magazine. The Beacham Theater hosted many of those parties that started around 9pm and went until noon the following day! Recently it became a very "Trendy" night club and most locals who have any culture at all don't really go there anymore.  HOWEVER!!!  The same folks that own The Social (formerly Sapphire Supper Club) are now involved with the Beacham, which is fantastic news!  Back around '04 Mofro would have to do a 2 night run as the Social is a great venue, but not big enough. So Mofro moved to doing House of Blues shows, which is a venue that is exponentially larger(almost too large).  Now that the Beacham Theater (next door to The Social) is opening back up as "The Beacham" it will host live shows and other cultural events.  In my humble opinion, this is the perfect place for a Mofro show in 2011 as it's larger than the Social, but not as big as HOB. (Plus HOB staff etc...isn't always the friendliest, and a beer is like $9.00)

I grew up here in Orlando, and I'm very excited that the Beacham is re-opening and will actually have cultural events worth attending!

Sorry for the long rant, but just wanted to let y'all know that if you do come to FMF, I believe you'll LOVE the Beacham Theater as a great venue to see Mofro.

FMF (Florida Music Fest) is sorta like "Tropical Heatwave" unfortunately Orlando is nowhere near as organized & fan friendly as Heatwave.  My advice is get there early, head to Wall Street (across Orange Ave. from the Social) get a wristband, and make sure to be at the Beacham early 'cause most folks in Orlando are hip to Mofro and will want to be there.  Also...it's rumored that Anthony Cole will be playing drums in a few other bands prior to the Mofro performance. One of them is "Cadillac Recipe" and I highly recommend you see them.  It's not AC's band, but he will most likely be filling in on drums. AC is well known in Orlando by fans and musicians, so anything he's involved in will draw attention. So again, get there early & enjoy!

Hope to meet some of y'all there

Oh, and FMF is taper friendly...so if you are into that sort of thing, bring yo rig!

Admin
Reply with quote  #6 
Awesome stuff there swampfunkster. Thanks for giving us all that good info and welcome to the front porch! Much appreciated by all going I'm sure to get the scoop on best way to get tix and get in. Really looking more forward to the Beacher show now!

I was wondering how things were set up; it does sound similar to Tropical Heatwave here in Ybor. (For you out of staters, Heatwave is a 30+ year old festival in Tampa that is put on each by our local indy 88.5 WMNF. Mofro played in 03 or 04. There are 2 outdoor stages and 4 or 5 venues involved and the music covers the spectrum. It starts at 5 in the afternoon and ends at 2 am. In the last couple years artists have included Chuck Prophet, Rev Peyton's Big Damn Band, Bonerama, and lots more.)

That's cool about AC. We try to catch his side shows as much as we can. He is so incredibly talented on just about every instrument you can imagine. (Well...maybe not an oboe but who knows???)

You grew up in O-town? I grew up in Leesburg but moved to Tampa in my early 20s. Orlando is old stomping grounds but unless you're old like me I'm sure we had different haunts.
modifab

Reply with quote  #7 

Cool screen name Swampfunkster! And welcome to the Front porch...

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks for the welcome Clay.  I dig AC's other projects too, and there is a local guy that does taping here in O-town named John, he's a really nice guy and actually turned me on to your message board.  Here's a couple of links to his recent recordings of Brown Note.

Brown Note @ Chris Bell's "Antemesaris" People's Peace Party

Brown Note @ Will's Pub

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #9 

Hey Swampfunkster!!! 

Welcome

Welcome

Welcome!!!

thanks for the plethera of backround info on the Beacham!!  Hope you're not gonna be a stranger. 

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
lazyep

Reply with quote  #10 
Thank you so much for the local insight Swapfunkster! I am totally going and hope to meet you there. Just booked my hotel and got tickets tonight! 
I just joined the board last month and have met some great people on here, I'm sure you'll experience the same. 
giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #11 

I wish I could go!

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by giggles

I wish I could go!

It's gonna be awfully hard having a good time without you there. I'm not even sure I'll be able to. I may not be able to see the stage because of the tears in my eyes. But alas, I shall give it my utmost best.

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #13 

We're getting closer folks! This Thursday night!!

giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #14 

Ummmm....maybe calendars are different in the Sunshine State but by my calcualtions, April 7th is next Thursday. Maybe all those tears you are crying because I am not going to be there are blurring your vision!

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #15 
Oops. (We're on Florida time)

I guess I'm just a little over-excited. It's all cause u won't be there!
modifab

Reply with quote  #16 
LOL @ Florida time...

MF1 I can just imagine the perplexed look on your face the day you're gettin hollered at for wakin someone up in the middle of the night overseas on the phone...

You'll be like..."Whaaa...I thought the time was the same everywhere?"

Admin
Reply with quote  #17 

wait wait wait...it's not?

lazyep

Reply with quote  #18 
Woohoo! Only 3 days away! (Real time, not Florida time) The anticipation is killing me! 
giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #19 

(POUTS!) I wanna go too!

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #20 

I'm sorry gigs. You've still got time  to book a flight. Excuse me while I say WOOT! The first of 2 shows in 10 days! 

We've got a weak roll call for this show. Where's everybody else? Here's all I know of:

lazyep
swampfunkster
me
trophy wife
Liz
gracyjj?

There's gotta be more than that!!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter