Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
harmonicasp20

Reply with quote  #1 
Great show last night. Energy level was high as usual. I'll give a good review a liitle later. Fixin to check out and head to house but here is the setlist.

Country Ghetto
A Woman
Brighter Days
King Hummingbird
Hide n Seek
FireFlies
Hottest Spot in Hell
Air
War
Georgia Warhorse
Lochloosa
DirtfloorCracker
Orange Blossoms
Slow Hot and Sweaty
Ho Cake
Sweetest Thing
Encore
Sun is Shining Down
On Fire

Just to mention one song-King Hummingbird. JJ was amazing during this song at least what he played of it. He got through the first verse and chorus then asked the crowd to bring it down. Most of the crowd did except for a few which he called out. And then called out again because they wouldn't settle down. So he backed up to wait for them to hush. They didn't hush so he quit playing and moved on to Hide n Seek. You could tell he was ticked off. Don't blame him. He popped a string on the guitar on Hide n Seek. Maybe taking out a little frustration on it. Wish he would have finished it but I understand. Wonder if he has ever done this before-quit playing a song and move on to the next. More to come later.
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks for the setlist and story harp20!  That sucks about the crowd man. I've seen that happen so many times and it has to suck for the guys on stage. I sure as shit hope people have more respect for the DVD taping tonight.

As for your question...yes. He's actually calmed down considerably in the last 2-3 years. On more than a few occasions he has yelled at audiences. I've never been a witness but know those that have. I might go as far as to say that he's lost his temper before, from what I've heard.  But (like most of us that have hit 40) he's been there done that and lets things roll of his back now. Sometimes he'll get a little annoyed but in the 16 shows I saw last year I never even saw that from him.

I think he may be a touch concerned about the live DVD show tonight. If people start doing that tonight it could sure fuck up a filmed performance. As much as we'd like to believe that all fans are respectful and stuff, well, 100% ain't achieveable. It's the 5% minority--including people who aren't necessarily huge fans and come more for the drinking and hitting on those of the opposite sex--that cause trouble.

He's got to quit playing so hard on Hide and Seek. I've seen him break a string on that song before!
FireFly

Mofrofans.com Interplanetary

Ambassador

Reply with quote  #3 
amazing that people paid money for a show to see this man who calls them out to shut the fuck up for a second and they won't , disrespectful i say.
I would like to find out where they live and stand next to them during maybe a sportsgame or their fav show and just jab in their ears!

( funny quotes from rombello )
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #4 

Let's see if we can find out where they're going for a super bowl party and we'll show up playing mofro really really loud.

Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #5 

Thanks for the review harp...20.  Tis a shame about those rude folks in the crowd.  Good vibes going to altlanta!!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
FireFly

Ambassador

Reply with quote  #6 
yeah when it gets real tense, like 2 sec left on clock and the other team might try for a field goal , I'm gonna lean in and talk about the weather.

I have to say from all the weird shit I overheard at concerts, the weirdest was , and ahem even though i'm a woman myself , these girls were discussing their menstrual cycles, while the band was onstage ,I mean really?? I actually turned around and said something...

redfisherroy

Reply with quote  #7 

Never seen JJ in less then a good mood. It is a shame folks couldn't settle down.  Best show I ever saw was Van Morrison in Clearwater Fl.......chills up the back....and some idiot was screaming Freebird...now Van is known for just walking off and calling it a night..my memory is sketchy but I think Van did say something  luckily he didn't call it a night. 

harmonicasp20

Reply with quote  #8 
Mofrofan1, I guess I have seen him get a little annoyed before but never to the point of quitting a song. He came back strong though. He asked real polite for everyone to mellow down then kept playing and smiled and said the same people are still talking and not getting it-or something like that. He then backed off to wait for them to settle down and shut up. He waited for a minute or so and said looks like he wasn't going to finish the song or something like that. He was ticked off. Like you said, just a small group screwed it up for the rest of us. And MF1 at 40 it is easier to let things roll instead of holding back. Heck working at a fire dept will do that for you.
As far as the whole night goes, Ponderosa was good. Was impressed with them. The boys came out around 10. Country Ghetto was absolutely one of the best I have heard him do. I was so glad when he did Brighter Days. Haven't heard it in a while so it made the night evem more memorable. Then the crap that happened during King Hummingbird, but he was quickly back to form with Hide n Seek. I believe Georgia Warhorse is becoming one of my favorites to hear live. Trube started stomping on his lap guitar. JJ was giving it to him pretty good. JJ gave a little different story at the start of Lochloosa. Was one of the better ones I have ever heard. Everything is so heartfelt in every one of his stories. Then he brings it all out in his lyrics. That goes for every song. He is just not going through the motions. Its like he lives it over and over again-every night and at every show.
DirtfloorCracker was on spot, and I love the way he has been starting Orange Blossoms. I know everyone of them on stage has fun with Ho Cake. It seemed like they had even more fun with it last night. For the encore Sun is Shining down was one I hadn't heard him do in a while. Maybe not hearing certain songs for a while makes one appreciate them even more when they are played again. It was amazing. On Fire of course was played with such heart and emotion and fire. Dennis and Art battled again and smoked it. Great night. Great music. Great times.
The vinyl records are there. Alot of merch, sold last night, or at least what I could tell.
Oh and I hear alot about people going to a show and getting their "Mofro Fix". I myself can't never get enough. I leave wanting more and can't wait to get to the next show. For myself there is no such thing as a "Mofro Fix". Can't wait until the Handlebar. Hope Atlanta is good for all of you at the show.
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #9 

A+ on your review harp...20!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #10 
Great stuff harp20. I agree on all...Trube opening on OB is slick, JJ singing or singing/playing tambourine a lot more now, he opened with BD at Skippers to a lot our ours surprise, War was off the hook with trube and jj battling guitars, and Ga Warhorse has definitely become my favorite live song! Just a week after seeing a show and you helped bring it all back!

Quote:
I leave wanting more and can't wait to get to the next show. For myself there is no such thing as a "Mofro Fix".

One of the major motivations behind this site.

FireFly

Ambassador

Reply with quote  #11 
Nothing beats spending a shitload of money on 3 tickets for me and my friends to go and see the legend James brown perform at Avery fisher music hall in lincoln center in NYC back in the 90's and have him go off on the crowd because they didn't greet al sharpton , who was standing sidestage, as warmly as James wanted . After a 20 min of a rant half of the people, including us left.
Guess artist are entitled to their opinions.

skotdee

Alumni/Assoc Professor, Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #12 
I love the one last year when he calls out the dude talkin about an iPhone, tells him they ain't nothing special, everybody has one...
harmonicasp20

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skotdee
I love the one last year when he calls out the dude talkin about an iPhone, tells him they ain't nothing special, everybody has one...

Yeah I remember him calling him out on that. Funny.
ON FIRE!

Reply with quote  #14 
Sorry this has taken so long.  This was a great show, minus the loudmouths that ruined KH!  The opening band was awesome, real gritty Southern Rock, I will be getting their CD ASAP.  I loved the new stories that went along with Lochloosa and Slow Hot and Sweaty.  I don't want to ruin it, sounds like it will show up on the DVD from Sat night.  Georgia Warhorse has got to be my new favorite live song.  Trube was on fire during this performance, I was right in front of him and got some good video.  Also, he was not set on his stool with the slide at the beginning of the song and I caught that as well-funny!  Anyway, enjoy!

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #15 

Quote:
Georgia Warhorse has got to be my new favorite live song. 
I am down wi dat!

Thanks for coming on OF and for the great video. I popped it down below...

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #16 

It's so cool to hear/see Art playing baritone too.

harmonicasp20

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ON FIRE!
Sorry this has taken so long.  This was a great show, minus the loudmouths that ruined KH!  The opening band was awesome, real gritty Southern Rock, I will be getting their CD ASAP.  I loved the new stories that went along with Lochloosa and Slow Hot and Sweaty.  I don't want to ruin it, sounds like it will show up on the DVD from Sat night.  Georgia Warhorse has got to be my new favorite live song.  Trube was on fire during this performance, I was right in front of him and got some good video.  Also, he was not set on his stool with the slide at the beginning of the song and I caught that as well-funny!  Anyway, enjoy!

I agree 100% with you on Ponderosa. I was on the other end of the stage right in front of Dennis and Art. Couldn't get good pics of Trube doing his thing. Glad you got it. Told my friend coming home that Georgia Warhorse is getting better and better. And yes the stories like always were priceless.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter