Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
harmonicasp20

Reply with quote  #1 
What a great night. Got there with a friend a little early. New Earth Music Hall is a real small place but hope Mofro comes back there. Saw him at the Classic Center a couple of years back and I prefer the Hall. Anyway ran into the guys from Efren and found that all but 1 are from Athens. Pretty cool guys. The show started around 8:45 and they played for about a hour. I figured that Efren would have a bigger crowd than they did since they are local. They played 8 songs or so. The lead singer sat the whole time but he moved around more in that chair than some people that stand the whole time. And he must wear out some boots as much as he was stomping them on the stage. He kept breaking strings on his guitar. Glad he had a bunch with him. They were pretty good. Anyway they got off about 9:45.

Mofro came on about 10:20. The opener was Georgia Warhorse. Seemed like he really laid it all out on this song-guess because he was in Georgia. Great opener-got everyone dancing. Oh yeah the place was fairly packed by then. I'll put up a setlist in a few. A Woman he just gets better and better at. EGIB rocked as usual. I guess my favorite was Lochloosa. In true JJ fashion, before he started playing he spoke about the lake and how everyone has a lochloosa. He talked about fishing and how nothing mattered when he was there. Just imagine him talking about it the way he does and alot of ya'll know exactly what I'm refering too. Glad to see him do Fireflies, Air, and War. Some of my favorites. On Fire was the last song and of course he just blew it away. The battle Dennis and Art did towards the end of it was amazing. JJ even got in the middle of it on harmonica. Was a very loud crowd. It was the first time they said they had played in 2 weeks. He said his granny had showed him how to make some kind of cake while he was at home. She also had called him that morning before he left for Athens. Only bad part of the show was the idiots smoking a joint in front of me. But that got taken care of. They played until about 12:15. Handed out all kinds of setlists but I couldn't get close enough to get one. Anyway if I think of anything else I will post later. Great Great Show!

1. Georgia Warhorse
2. Dirtfloorcracker
3. Hottest Spot in Hell
4. A Woman
5. Beautiful World
6. Ybor City
7. Hide n Seek
8. Lochloosa
9. All
10.Air
11.EGIB
12.Fireflies
13.War
14.Orange Blossoms
15.Ho Cake
16.The Sweetest Thing
Encore
17.Slow, Hot, and Sweaty
18.On Fire

giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #2 

WOWZERS! Great Setlist! Thanks for sharing harmonicasp20, sounds like a good time was had by all!

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #3 
Great stuff...thank you harmonicasp20!! You painted a great picture for us.

Great stuff about his granny. His whole family was sidestage at JJ's acoustic set at Blackwater Fest this year. Firefly was working there and she was helping with VIP's that day and she said granny was as spry as one can be, funny too. She's 90-something (how old is she? somebody knows right?).

Since JJ dropped the story behind On Fire I like it a lot better. As an encore song now it just kicks ass. I never thought of it that way but the way it's arranged now just blows me away.

Thanks again for sharing it all with us harmp!

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #4 
I guess I should clarify. Granny is in her 90s, not Firefly.
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #5 
Back to what harmp was saying...On Fire has become one kick ass mfcka as an encore. I got a vid of it at HOB Orl last month for anybody wantin to see: 

Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #6 

thanks for the detailed review harmonicasp20! I have wanted to see "Air" on the setlist for a while.  I love how they are adding an older song or two every now and again, Now for some "Nare Sugar"!!  As awlways, great to see "Ho Cake", haha!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #7 
Oooohhh, thanks Sunny...that reminds me. When the guys made their run thru Fla a couple weeks ago I heard a rumor that the guys had been practicing some old stuff. Let's see what I can recall:
Gal Youngin
That Boy
True Love, Santa Claus and Freedom
Air
Nare Sugar
Turpentine

I been holding out on y'all!! HA!  (Couple other people heard this same rumor and they been holding out too!!)
Dispatch Ninja

Reply with quote  #8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1
Oooohhh, thanks Sunny...that reminds me. When the guys made their run thru Fla a couple weeks ago I heard a rumor that the guys had been practicing some old stuff. Let's see what I can recall:
Gal Youngin
That Boy
Air
Nare Sugar
Turpentine

I been holding out on y'all!! HA!  (Couple other people heard this same rumor and they been holding out too!!)

Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #9 

Quote:
Oooohhh, thanks Sunny.you are so welcome    .that reminds me. When the guys made their run thru Fla a couple weeks ago I heard a rumor that the guys had been practicing some old stuff. Let's see what I can recall:
Gal Youngin
That Boy
True Love, Santa Claus and Freedom never heard this one live...
Air
Nare Sugar
Turpentine

Thank you thank you Mr. D for sharing this news, awlways great to have something to lurk forward too!! hahaha

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
harmonicasp20

Reply with quote  #10 

Quote:
Great stuff...thank you harmonicasp20!! You painted a great picture for us.

Great stuff about his granny. His whole family was sidestage at JJ's acoustic set at Blackwater Fest this year. Firefly was working there and she was helping with VIP's that day and she said granny was as spry as one can be, funny too. She's 90-something (how old is she? somebody knows right?).

Since JJ dropped the story behind On Fire I like it a lot better. As an encore song now it just kicks ass. I never thought of it that way but the way it's arranged now just blows me away.

Thanks again for sharing it all with us harmp!

Last night JJ said his granny is 93 and still lives by herself.
harmonicasp20

Reply with quote  #11 

Quote:
Gal Youngin
That Boy
Air
Nare Sugar
Turpentine

That Boy! Would love to hear this one. Never have heard them do it live. Have heard Nare Sugar a time or two as well as the others. Except That Boy.

harmonicasp20

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine

thanks for the detailed review harmonicasp20! I have wanted to see "Air" on the setlist for a while.  I love how they are adding an older song or two every now and again, Now for some "Nare Sugar"!!  As awlways, great to see "Ho Cake", haha!!

Anytime Sunshine. I'm sure some of the others that were there can add to it. I believe too in upcoming shows that alot of older songs will be making an appearance. I'm still partial to Junior and Brighter Days. Some songs just belong in every show even I know its hard to do.

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #13 
93! Like I said FF will tell you she's as sharp as a tack. (Granny that is; FireFly...not so much.)
swkelley

Alumni/Assoc Professor
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #14 

If the only bad thing that happened at the show was someone smoking a joint in front of you, then NOTHING bad happened.  If you don't expect people to be smoking weed at a concert, then you may not want to attend many!  I would much rather be around a few people getting high than a bunch of DRUNKEN FOOLS!

Alumni/Assoc Professor
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #15 

I'd love to see Gal Youngin' make it back in the rotation....along with Sad Days & Lonely Nights!!

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swkelley

I'd love to see Gal Youngin' make it back in the rotation....along with Sad Days & Lonely Nights!!

Ditto on the Gal Youngin!  And Sad Days & Lonely Nights! 

I have heard all of the others live that Clay yet again got the scoop on all of us!  How does he do it?

Clay, any chance you could work some majic and get them to work on Everybody's and maybe some Tragic?  *wink*  *wink* 

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #17 
Good to see ya DT!  (It's all the detective shows in the 60s.)

I've been fortunate to see all of those live but some more than others. DT I wish I had that much magic! I'd love to see those live again. I think we'll see more of the old stuff start to ease back in more and more.

harmonicasp20

Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swkelley

If the only bad thing that happened at the show was someone smoking a joint in front of you, then NOTHING bad happened.  If you don't expect people to be smoking weed at a concert, then you may not want to attend many!  I would much rather be around a few people getting high than a bunch of DRUNKEN FOOLS!

Nothing bad happenned-I guess everyone has their own opinion. but it wasnt that bad.drunk/high been around them all. just part of the show.just trying to give a review of the entire night. got more shows planned to be at.the thing was they was right in front of the stage and got ran off and moved right over where i was. i have been to many a concert where weed was smoked. would have rather they went the other way but it sure didnt mess the night up. i was having to much fun. im very surprised that i havent seen it more. just everyone having fun.

AntsyAshley

Reply with quote  #19 
Stan, I was wondering if someone was gonna comment on the weed comment! I say LEGALIZE IT! :-)

Anyway, harmonicasp, it sounds like a fantastic show! Thanks for sharing your review!

Clay, thanks for letting us in on that rumor. I can't wait til Santa Claus goes back into the rotation. That's my favorite. To me, those are JJ's most powerful lyrics ever.
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #20 
Ash...I just made that shit up.

This weed thing you talk about. Are we talking like crabgrass or dandelions or what? I usually have success with round-up.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter