FireFly

Mofrofans.com Interplanetary

Ambassador

Reply with quote  #2 

that was the sweatiest of sweaty mofro shows i have ever been too

( funny quotes from rombello )
ibleedFLA

Reply with quote  #3 
Amen sista!!!!!! At one point i yelled in desperation "i need a freakin towel" Wouldn't ya know....Dennis heard me & tossed me one. That was super extra life-saving.
Though, i did discover that one can sweat themself sober....
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #4 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedFLA
Amen sista!!!!!! At one point i yelled in desperation "i need a freakin towel" Wouldn't ya know....Dennis heard me & tossed me one. That was super extra life-saving.
  HA HAHAAHA!!

thanks for the set list too!! was there a taper there?  would love to hear Lullaby.

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #5 
I posted this on another thread but in case anyone misses it...
I checked after the show. There were about 35 tix leftover...essentially a sell-out.(Capacity is 450)It just looked like it wasn't full at times because there were 100-130 (I counted) on the patio at any given time. Not smoking but cooling off. It was BY FAR the hottest ever venue I've been in. It was 78 and humid outside. Whenyou walked out of the club it felt like walking into an air conditioned room outside. It was incredibly stuffy and humid, had to be easily mid 90s in there.

JJ talked about how great it was at the beginning. You know him...he was loving the hot and sweat and all. But by about the 4th song he came over to side stage and asked them if they could do something. They opened the only couple doors the could to create a little cross draft and threw a couple fans on them to stir up the hot air. When it's too hot for JJ then you know it's goddam hot!!!

giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #6 

Wow! Last year at Common Grounds it was quite brisk & invigorating (arctic by Florida Standards). I remember leaving 18 degree weather in Philly and arriving in Gainesville for temps in the upper 30's!

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #7 
I was so hung up on the heat I forgot to mention the show. Great show! JJ is feeling much better. Lullaby ain't got derek trucks but it has Trube on the lap steel and it kills. Very small stage there; intimate is an understatement. It doesn't give them a lot of room but I like it because it seems like they feed on each others energy more.

AC and Todd laughed thru the show...nothing new there! I got give a shout out to two of the guys that, in my opinion, are really bringing it right now: Trube and Art. They seem to be giving it all they got, Trube has brought a sound on board that is unique in a good way. He and Art are both a lotta fun to watch. Art, in addition to that great Memphis sound, is absolutely all over it every show--and a real jammer. He never does a jam that sounds the same.

I got pics and vids. Asheville too. Shit tho, between tonight, tomorrow night, and Sat, it'll be next week sometime that I'll get them all up!!
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #8 
And always great seeing BSRfan! Glad we had a chance to talk a little more this time around. Sorry Ute and I wandered off and didn't get back. We went to the car so she could drop off her scarf and saw some people we knew and next we knew the show was starting. It's all her fault.
FireFly

Mofrofans.com Interplanetary

Ambassador

Reply with quote  #9 
yeah, blame the immigrants

art was chasing jj around the stage ,playin the sax, funny, and how about when the horns and trube are up front , goin crazy for junior and AC stands up from the drums and does the robot, fuckin funny, todd nearly fell out laughing

( funny quotes from rombello )
giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #10 

Sounds like a wonderful time was had by all! Thanks for sharing!!

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

Delerious Tyme

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #11 
Good to see WYLF back on the set list.  Hadn't seen that one on there in a while. 

Also, Firefly, I noticed that too, Art chasing JJ with the sax.  He has been doing that on Ho Cake ever since the San Diego show when JJ's voice was down.  Art and the rest of the guys really had to pick it when his voice was down in SD and that came about from that.  He did the same thing in Chicago.  It's fun to see that. 

I've been meaning to post a few things that have changed in the songs or how they do things on stage for quite some time and I guess here is as good as any.  Art chasing JJ during his Ho Cake solo is one of them.

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #12 
Other things that I've noticed.

Trube on the slide, but he's calmed down since Mishawaka when it got away from him and damn near fell of the stage.  When he does his solo on GW, he beats the hell out of it.  For the 2 shows in Colorado, he bounced it off the stage when he did so, but I'm guessing he's backed off since the Mishawaka mishap. 

Lyrics added to Orange Blossom and The Sweetest Thing. 

At the end of OB, JJ has been singing "Have no shame . . . "

At the end of The Sweetest Thing, JJ has been singing "Baby, I'm Home . . ."

Great additions to both songs.

Obviously, the amount of songs that JJ plays an instrument has gone down so he can let loose on his voice.

Throwing it around the horn, JJ gives it up for all of the guys then Trube brings it home by announcing JJ as the guy who wrote all the songs. 

JJ's new patented dance moves when he is jamming out with the tambourine and the guys are soloing or there is time where there is no lyrics.

Finally, Art and Dennis coming forward for On Fire to duel at the end.  This started on WYLF back at the San Diego show a year ago and it always something to see.  On Fire is now pretty much the new staple Encore song.  Kinda taking the place of Junior from years back and partnered with a Gotta Know, Brighter Days, King Hummingbird, and Lullaby, these guys just keep getting better and better every day!

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #13 
Very nice DT! Thanks for putting all that together and sharing with everyone.

Firefly...I totally forgot about AC doing that!! It was crazy! I was watching JJ and Firefly yells out "look at AC!" and there he is with no shirt on standing behind his drum kit and doing the robot. Can you believe it? It was nuts...off the hook. We were dying!
Sunshine

Reply with quote  #14 

DT I noticed alot of what you stated above as well.  at the Peel at the end of Sweetest thing he was sainging "going back hoooome .... going baaack hoooome". I thought maybe he was wanting to get back home to heal a couple of days.  Another thing I noticed at the Peel was when they did Country Ghetto.  He throws in another verse and he must be sainging through something cuz his voice sounds alot deeper and damn if it don't sound down right gritty!!!   I LOVED that version   and have listened to it about 15 times and I still have trouble figgering what he says through the whole verse.  Something bout having no money and it ends up him saying something bout "ain't that the goddamn truth".  So if anyone knows what is said, I would deeply appreciate the input. 

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #15 
hahaha AC doing the Robot, pleeeeeze tell me someone got that on video!!!
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #16 

Yeah, Sunshine, with The Sweetest Thing he's talking about being home for his little girl and the Country Ghetto part is in the Mofro Knowledge thread.  He's done that for a while and I remember asking what he was saying there as well, I think Uhollis answered it if I remember right.  The reason it is so deep and sounds the way it does is because he does it through his harmonica microphone, hence, while he is in his harmonica solo part during the end of the song. 

Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #17 
Trying not to derail this thread Sunshine, but I think this is what you are talking about with the Country Ghetto Jam.  This is from the Belly Up in 2009.

That, and I just love seeing Daryl there in the background!

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #18 

Thanks DT!! yes and seeing Daryl up there is wonderful!!!

ibleedFLA

Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedFLA
  HA HAHAAHA!!

thanks for the set list too!! was there a taper there?  would love to hear Lullaby.  it was beautiful

swkelley

Alumni/Assoc Professor
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #20 

There used to be a bar in New Orleans called Jimmy's (may still be open, not sure) that was the hottest club I have ever been in.  The owner was TIGHT and would not turn on the AC....even kept the windows shut for some reason....it would get downright sweltering up in that place.  They even had a drainage hole in the middle of the floor.....not sure if it was for cleaning up afterwards or for drainage of all the sweat pouring off everyone's bodies.  Anywho, I saw the Radiators play there one night and Zeke said,"Man, it's so hot in here, even my sweat is sweating"!......and he was right!

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter