Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Delerious Tyme

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #1 

The meaning of Diyo Dayo, both the term and the song, straight from JJ himself.

With a request from Clay as to find out what Diyo Dayo meant, John (Hog Caller), my ladyfriend, and myself, were lucky enough to have a moment with JJ where he answered the question in full.  The conversation and setting alone were as unforgettable as they come.  I hope I am able to do the story and meaning justice as JJ told it so well, like he does with all of his stories.   Enjoy.

The term “Diyo Dayo” is coined by JJ himself.  He said he came up with it by just singing along with the music, hence, the way it is sung with the melody.  He did say that if it did come from anywhere, it would come from the Spanish saying, “Dia de Muerto”; the day you die, or day of the dead.  But first, let me get into the song meaning before I elaborate on the term to give a better understanding as to why the term would mean that.  Also, I bet ya’ll didn’t know that JJ spoke Spanish?  Well, he does!  He said he might be a little rusty, but he can manage!

Alright, so the song itself is based on, yup, you guessed it, a book.  The book is called “The Creek” by J.T. Glisson.  It's a book about Cross Creek much in the same sense that Rawlings wrote her book.  Like I said, Diyo Dayo is a term coined by JJ, but the story within the lyrics comes from the book.  Think of each verse in the song as a separate story with the same meaning or lesson to be learned. 

The first part is about a dog, believe it or not, which is a story within the book where the guy talks about walking by Cross Creek with his dog or someone walking with their dog in the brush and all of a sudden the dog jumps up and yelps.  Soon after the dog dies.  The dog's owner finds out that the dog was bitten by a small rattlesnake or water moccasin, which is why it yelped, jumped, and later died.  He asks his father, how could such a small snake kill the dog when he knew that the dog had killed 100s of snakes in the past, much bigger that the one that killed him and never had any problems.  Well, the father replies, son, you have to realize that even the small mistakes can kill you just as fast as the big mistakes in life.

That’s the meaning or lesson to be learned from Diyo Dayo.  If there is anything you remember about what Diyo Dayo means, it’s simply that – Even the small mistakes in life can kill you just as fast or as easily as the big mistakes. 

After you ponder that, think about the end of each verse now, which all end as “ONE MISTAKE, Diyo Day….”

That first part gives you the background for the first verse and where the lyrics come from, "She's a rattlesnake, so beware of her fangs, a lightning strike headed straight through your viens.  No One can say why she does what she'll do.  ONE MISTAKE, Diyo Day....."

Also, and John can attest to this, while JJ was telling the story to us, he was singing the lyrics to the song along with it, it was really something else.  I had to take a moment to gather myself more than once throughout the conversation and probably have marks on my ass to this day from pinching myself to make sure I was not dreaming. 

The second verse is about a homeless guy who as the lyrics say, "had it all, but he threw it away"  Again, a small mistake and he's homeless.  “ONE MISTAKE, Diyo Day…”

The third verse comes from the book as well, and I'm a little cloudy on remembering the story, but I have a feeling I will buy the book now and read it to get the full jist of it, but I do remember it has to do with the father and the son and one of them is out by the creek and comes across a coke bottle that looks to have water in it.  I'm thinking it was the son and the father was in the hospital or a hospice on his death bed.  Well, whichever it is, is hot and thirsty and they pick up the coke bottle and drink it.  Turns out the bottle had Tree Poison?  Or some kind of poison in it and of course they were out by Cross Creek, there was no way they could get to a hospital in time to save themselves and low and behold, they die.  Once again, something as simple as mistaking a bottle of liquid for water when it is in fact poison turns out to be a small mistake that kills someone.  ONE MISTAKE, Diyo Day...

After the explanation, I did ask JJ whether or not the term came from the book, but he said he just made it up while singing along to the music and thought it sounded cool.  That was when he said that if it did come from anything, it would be from the Spanish saying, Dia de Muerto, or day of the dead.  Thus, with the saying, he’s in a sense saying, the small mistake and now your dead or it’s your day to die, Diyo Dayo.  Apparently JJ is quite fluent or was in Spanish and said he had to be when he was younger in order to make friends with a lot of kids growing up in Florida.  Obviously a lot of them spoke Spanish and I’m sure JJ, being the personable guy he is, learned Spanish to befriend them.  He did, however, let me know that I need to learn it, which, my ladyfriend, being from Mexico, and residing in Arizona, I know that I should.  I’ve just been lazy.  Maybe a kick in the butt from none other than JJ Grey is just what I need to get me off my ass and learning Spanish finally!   

Well, that’s it ya’ll, if you want more, I would suggest reading the book that it’s based on or talking to JJ himself.  I hope I did the story some justice.  I sure as hell know that I can’t even tell it half as good as JJ does, but hey, that’s why he’s writing the music and not me!  Also, if I missed anything, hopefully John (Hog Caller) jumps in and clarifies or adds to the story as he was there as well!

Finally, Thank You JJ for being so willing to tell us not only the Diyo Dayo story, but all of the stories you tell and Thank You for being so kind to all of us throughout your tours and solo shows.  You are one of a kind and we are the luckiest fans in the world to have such a genuine and kind-hearted person as someone we look up to and admire both your work and as a person.  This world would be a much better place if there were more out there like you!

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
Dispatch Ninja

Reply with quote  #2 
Interesting. Thanks for sharing dt.
Mr Pilchard

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks DT- had been a topic of conversation for sometime now around the waterin' hole! Can't wait to share with the Fort Lauderdale local Fro's!

So, did ya happen to ask JJ what a "VJ" is.....and why he's standin' by it, and who the hell is signing?

Just thought I'd ask. If not, maybe we'll be lucky enough to get a moment with JJ while in Florida. If so, I'll let ya know!

Alumni/Dean/Assoc Professor,
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #4 
that book is a pretty good read.
and it had been a topic of discussion b4 with JJ, mentioned at shows, etc.

nice to know the basis of the song comes from there.

thanks

d.o.e

Official Director of Excess
Reply with quote  #5 
thanks for sharing that again...when you told us at the Belly Up all I remembered was the rattlesnake and a dog dying...haha

morena

Reply with quote  #6 

JJ habla espanol tambien? que hombre carajo!

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.o.e
thanks for sharing that again...when you told us at the Belly Up all I remembered was the rattlesnake and a dog dying...haha

Gee...what a surprise

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by morena

JJ habla espanol tambien? que hombre carajo!

Just about the time you know him he throws something else at you huh?

Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #9 

Awesome, awesome story there DT.  And what a wonderful memory to share with us all.  I love your line:

"  I had to take a moment to gather myself more than once throughout the conversation and probably have marks on my ass to this day from pinching myself to make sure I was not dreaming.  "

I was laughinlg out loud at work, you can tell a story yourself!!  Thanks again for sharing your times during your Mofro-palooza week.  Now if any other stories crop up, don't hesitate to share!!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #10 
THANKS DT!

You've made a lot of people happy. The data reports I get show how people get to the site...Google, a blog, facebook, etc.  When it's a search engine like Google the report shows which keywords/key phrases people have used. Do you know we're getting 50-75 people a week that hit the site that are looking for the meaning of Diyo Dayo? 
d.o.e

Official Director of Excess
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.o.e
Gee...what a surprise

I aint got no shame...I got memory issues...

modifab

Reply with quote  #12 
Thank ya kindly for sharing DT! Whatta great story.

It's funny to me cuz after the first few times through hearing the song... the proverbial "lightbulb" flipped on. I thought to myself... That must mean "the day you die" in Spanish. I imediately called my ex, whom has also been engorged in the new album, to inquire, since she knows some spanish. She told me that's not how it's said...thus leaving me perplexed. I was so sure that's what it meant!!

It's sweet... JJ's ability to simply apply his own torque and make it work...

It's like the story behind how the name Mofro came to be. Just laughin it up at work long enough and the shit just happens.

Excellent!

Reply with quote  #13 
I'm glad to finally read an explanation on this.  My husband and I were just pondering the meaning today!

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #14 

Thank DT for asking JJ!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter