Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #1 
Well, as y'all know, I usually like to see setlists indivually posted as we go along but since bowwow left I haven't bugged anyone about getting them. Until now. I figured I'd let the new guy settle in and let the new tour get going before I got in anyone's way. So, here's a bunch together. (Jackson Hole is MIA, with Colin's apologies.

Almost forgot...we have a new merch/crew member to torture. His name is Aaron. (Don't know if he's got a nickname yet.) I don't know if he's hit the board up yet but if so let's say a howdy to Aaron. Howdy Aaron! (We'll try and keep the torture to a mininum.)

LEXINGTON

Diyo

War

A Woman

Hide & Seek

Beautiful World

Lullaby

Country Ghetto

Sweetest Thing

Georgia Warhorse

Orange Blossoms

King Hummingbird

Ho Cake

Slow Hot

Everything

All

Brighter Days

**BREAK

Lochloosa

On Fire

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #2 

HOOKAVILLE

War

Sweetest Thing

Dirtfloorcracka'

All

A Woman

Everything Good

King Hummingbird

Hide & Seek

Lochloosa

Georgia Warhorse

Orange Blossoms

Slow Hot

Ho Cake

Brighter Days

**BREAK

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #3 

SANDPOINT, ID

Everything Good

Georgia Warhorse

A Woman

Hide & Seek

Country Ghetto

Beautiful World

Lochloosa

Hottest Spot

Fire Flies

All

King Hummingbird

Orange Blossoms

Slow Hot

Ho Cake

Sweetest Thing

War

**BREAK

Brighter Days

On Fire

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #4 

MISSOULA

Orange Blossoms

Diyo

Circles

Georgia Warhorse

Everything Good

Lullaby

War

Beautiful World

Lochloosa

Hide & Seek

Sweetest Thing

Slow Hot

Ho Cake

Hottest Spot

Brighter Days

**BREAK

A Woman

Junior

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #5 

BOZEMAN

War

Circles

Dirtfloorcracka'

Sweetest Thing

A Woman

Beautiful World

Lochloosa

Georgia Warhorse

King Hummingbird

Hide & Seek

Everything Good

Slow Hot

Ho Cake

All

Orange Blossoms

**BREAK

Brighter Days

On Fire

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #6 

Seattle 9/11/10

Hide & Seek

Everything Good

A Woman

All

King Hummingbird

Georgia Warhorse

Lochloosa

Dirtfloorcracka'

Slow Hot

Orange Blossoms

Hottest Spot

War

Sweetest Thing

Ho Cake

Brighter Days

**BREAK

On Fire

Gotta Know

Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #7 

Welcome Aboard Aaron!!

Hope to see ya in

the near future!!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
uhollis

Alumni/Dean/Assoc Professor,
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #8 
i know its all about the playing and being there, i constantly have to remind myself of that, but these are just awful setlists. 

Jeez Louise

thanks for the setlist update though

i know i am probably in the minority here, but can i get a witness.

Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #9 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhollis
i know its all about the playing and being there, i constantly have to remind myself of that, but these are just awful setlists. 

Jeez Louise

thanks for the setlist update though

i know i am probably in the minority here, but can i get a witness.

just because I am curious, what would have listed differently?

p.s. I enjoyed your bit about the 2006 Seghesio Defiant - cool picture to match

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #10 
What the hell, I'll witness. First, is On Fire really so popular as to make it one of the encore songs 4 times?  I do have to admit that the end of the live version is killer but it seems there are so many better encore songs. But 4 times? Really??

Hardly anything from Blackwater or Lochloosa. Lists seem more slanted to OB and CG, and of course 6-8 songs from GW (with the exception of Lochloosa, Brighter Days, Ho Cake.)  'A Woman' is on near every setlist. It's a good song no doubt; I didn't realize how popular it was though. Same with 'War'.

Seems like there's not as much mix. That said, I know the shows have to be at least half off the new record but I think what Hollis is saying, at least in part, is that there are a lot of good songs that could be added to the mix but it seems that they don't make it.

Some of that I suppose is that there are so many songs the band has never played before. A LOT of the songs off the first 2 records have never been played by anyone in the current make-up of the band. It's unfortunate because I don't think JJ can turn around to the guys and say 'let's play That Boy instead' between songs.

I have to remind myself though of how many shows I see though. In all fairness I may get tired of seeing/hearing something because we avg 18-20 shows a year.
gracyjj

Reply with quote  #11 
Whew!!!!! I made a quick thought of this over the summer. I realize they didn't really have a lot of the new material yet, and they did play "A woman" more than I thought they would. There was just something a miss with the set list (of course the one's they do play are awesome, but variety is the spice of life!). 

"Some of that I suppose is that there are so many songs the band has never played before. A LOT of the songs off the first 2 records have never been played by anyone in the current make-up of the band. It's unfortunate because I don't think JJ can turn around to the guys and say 'let's play That Boy instead' between songs."

I'm really with you on this one. I'm not sure how to reason it out in my head, whether it's just a phase of transition with musicians, or what. I completely understand how difficult things can get, the good things in life don't come easy. I really wish the band would be a bit tighter though. Dennis and Art have really impressed me in the last few years, their stage presence, the solos- amazing! They have really opened up and showed off their talents. I got to say it, I miss Scone- he really added a signature sound that meshes so well over all. I know Ferrell can do the same, but you just don't hear it often and I want to!! The dueling between JJ & Trube is a great step, but it seems like there's a wall, a speedbump, or something that's not completely falling into place. 
I started to have an inkling of something over the summer and I started wondering if it's because the guys are on the road a lot (which is great!!! that's what we're looking for!!!). At the VaBeach show I watched them sound check and it was enlightening to see them really working together. But it leaves me scratching my head a little. I know these guys are career musicians, pros, but can you really get what you want and feel completely confident in new material after 15, 30 minutes, even an hour? So I can somewhat understand limiting the set list. PLEASE DON'T TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY. I do NOT, nor claim to have any know how in the bands processes. I have absolutely no idea what really goes on in the loop of these people. But even when these guys are off the road, it seems they are spread out, which leads me to wonder where their common ground is? I realize technology has it's advancements, and whatnot,with the fact that musicians have the capability of producing albums by passing loops between them to get things done, but when you're shooting for a live sound, can you achieve the right results, or is it settling?
I love what the band does, I love what JJ does, and I realize that these are real people (with families and lives)- they aren't my superheros, but they are people I really admire. I've just been wondering this for a few months now and if anything it gets me more eager to see another show, to see what these guys have in store for us next 

Whoa.... sorry, this got a lot longer than I thought it would... shutnup now!

Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #12 
so, i think JJ has probably heard this request for different set lists just under the amount of times he has heard someone ask him to play "Brighter Days".

nowadays i don't really care, b/c i only see them once a year, maybe even year and a half. so i take what i get, and i go in without expectations.  so this being a discussion board, lets discuss.

these sets seem to have a few more songs than in the past, especially for a one set show.  That is good.  Correct me if I am wrong.

i wont go into individual songs and how I feel, save that I can't really stand the song WAR.  ugh. 

What is funny is that back when folks use to request BD all the time, and he would hardly play it was around the time he was having vocal issues and really working on his voice.  maybe having full grasp on it allows him to play that song more often.  IDK

Many times when I have heard someone complain about the lack of variation in the set, JJ has said, "i dont wanna be Widespread Panic, and I got a story to tell". ok perfect.  but my reply now is that he has given the world 5 ALBUMS worth of that story, and 99% of it is strikingly beautiful, deserving of an audience.

I also understand that rehearsal time is precious, borderline nonexistent.  I recall a Charlie Rose interview with Trey Anastasio where he said that for the first 10-12 years of the band Phish, they would rehearse on the bus almost constantly, they were so immersed in the music.  And that about the time the rehearsing stopped, the music waivered, and the shows got less and less interesting, they failed to remain tuned into one another.  That's just aside.  There couldn't be a furthur example in re type of band and music from which to pull from, but it popped in my head, and i like to share, and air.

Now you wonder what I would see in a set list if it were today.  Well okay.  I'll fast forward to Oct 30 2010, after a full tour, a primed band.  a tired band probably.  ready for a two week break.  a band that has been using sound check time to learn the older tunes.

October 30, 2010
Pompano Beach FL
Hallows Eve
Festival Set, i.e. short

Footsteps>
The Hottest Spot in Hell>
Nare Sugar (w/Grondin)
All(w/ Scone)
By My Side
The Wrong Side
EGIB
Georgia Warhorse
Hide and Seek
Long Time Man
Whitehouse
The Sun is Shining Down
The Sweetest Thing

so just had some fun there.  really, i guess i needed to reply, and not just leave everyone hanging on a comment.  be well, anyone got anything else to add.
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #13 

Damn. Very well said Hollis. And that is an excellent setlist. Naturally that's subjective, but I probably only have 2 or 3 I'd change.

RussellT

Reply with quote  #14 
My 2 cents on the issue is that they are just trying to get their act together.  Add new pieces, including lead guitar (sort of) and it takes some time to get dialed in.  I’d rather see them really nail a few songs , rather than open it up and start butchering the songs I love. But I'm a "take what I can get" guy too.  Sidenote - I saw Panic go through a similar phase a few years ago and let me tell ya, there were some ugly shows in there as they tried to expand the repertoire with new band members.   I agree with gracyjj, they haven’t meshed yet and something IS missing… its Hance! But you can tell they’re working through it out there.  All in good time, all in good time.

Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #15 
clay, i couldnt decide what songs to add, seeing i was trying to keep it a bit spooky.  long time man coulda been "devil", and i was giving the band a break from Lochloosa.

Richard. i have listened to a few things from the last few shows, ans IMO this band is kicking ass.  that new dude # 2 on bass is just plain nuts, and they can really get down.

in re, panic since houser died.  that is a tough one.  i lent heavy support to the guys when george was in the band, and saw some weird shows. but the shows i saw in Indy with george were some of the best i have seen since houser died.  i love jimmy as a player, probably best in Phil n Friends, then the Codetalkers, and the ARU.  jimmy in panic is a non starter for me nowadays, which is weird, b/c i like heavy metal shread guitar, and fusion jazz, but it just dont work for me anymore in Panic, a band i cut a heavy load of my touring teeth on after Jerry passed. the last show i enjoyed with panic was the first Miami Fillmore show with jimmy. pre super shred head jimmy panicville.

ares77

Reply with quote  #16 

Very good poinst hollis.  My two cents- I have been goin to see "jam bands" play since my first Dead show in 88.  My first impression when I go and see a band that is not considered a "jam band" is that this concert that I am watching is the same shit these guys are doin EVERY show.  That bores the hell out of me.  I am not sayin that JJ needs to be like WSP, I just think that most of his fans are "jam band" music fans, who wanna see some variety in the live act their gonna see or hear through taping 25 times in the next year.  I personally don't want practically the same setlist on all of the shows that I am fortunate enough to obtain for a particular tour.  That is boring.  I am also a musician and can tell everyone that when you try a new song, IT IS AWESOME!  You never know what kind of new shit your gonna get, and if the mesh between band members is there, the jams go better and further than you ever thought they would.  WHEW!! That's all I got right now..... 

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #17 

>>long time man coulda been "devil", and i was giving the band a break from Lochloosa.<<  Yep, agreed on that.  >>That too<<

uhollis

Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #18 
i wish folks had some more to offer here. whateves.
RussellT

Reply with quote  #19 
This probably isn't what you meant Uhollis, but if I had my druthers with the setlists and the show I just saw, keeping in mind they're wanting to showcase the new album and without changing the whole damn thing, it'd look a little something like this.

MISSOULA               (MODIFIED to my liking)

Orange Blossoms        WYLF

Diyo                            Nare Sugar

Circles                         Circles

Georgia Warhorse       Georgia Warhorse

Everything Good        Everything Good

Lullaby                        Lullaby

War                             Tragic

Beautiful World          Move It On

Lochloosa                    Lochloosa

Hide & Seek               Hide & Seek

Sweetest Thing           Sweetest Thing

Slow Hot                     Jookhouse

Ho Cake                      Gimme that Drop

Hottest Spot                Hottest Spot

Brighter Days              Brighter Days

**BREAK                  **BREAK

A Woman                    Dew Drops

Junior                          Devil

Print

Quick Navigation:

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter