Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
slick814

Reply with quote  #1 
The boys put on a blistering set last night!!! Just got home a little while ago. Workin' on getting pics uploaded. Should be done tomorrow.
One minor downer was that they didn't bring any merch... I talked to Chris while they were setting up. Cool thing was he seemed to recognize me. Either that or he saw my OB shirt and figured I must be OK..   Anyway, he 'splained that on a fly in like that there ain't the room for merch. Guess I'll be spending my $$ on the website. No real biggie, but I was hopin' to be sporting a new GW shirt. He DID, however, say he'd get me a setlist, which he did right after the show, so I'm now officially 2 for 2 on JJ shows and setlists! No autograph this time, but the setting was a little different last time.

Chris - if you see this somehow, you are one cool dude. When you get up this way again, I'm buying!

OK... now for what you've all been waiting for...

Duluth, MN 8/15/2010

Country Ghetto
Everything Good Is Bad
A Woman
All
The Sweetest Thing
Hide & Seek
Lochloosa
Hottest Spot In Hell
Orange Blossoms
On Fire (with the story intro)
Ybor City
Ho Cake

Encore:

Brighter Days
How Junior Got His Head Put Out

Country Ghetto - GREAT way to start a show!!! It actually got the crowd moving, which hadn't happened all day... seemed to me like they were either a jaded bunch of old farts (seemed like lots of them were), or tired on the third day of the festival. 
Everything Good is ALWAYS good
A Woman - slowed things down, but I could see the crowd turning into Mofro fans
All - a new one! LOVE THIS SONG!!!!!!! I can't wait to play it over and over and over...
Sweetest Thing -  I love the live ending. WAY better than the studio version. Tons of energy, Trube does a great solo.
Hide & Seek - 3 new songs in a row... new record is coming soon!!!! Love this one too. Now have heard studio, solo and full band live versions. Full band live is my favorite by a long shot.
Lochloosa - I really think that the horns add a lot to this one. Wish the crowd knew it better, because there weren't many of us singing along.
Hottest Spot In Hell - The band was really rockin' by this point. This is where the crowd really started getting into the show... took 'em long enough (I was asked to sit down 4 times up til now, but not after...I just couldn't stay sitting on my butt for some reason)
Orange Blossoms - love Art & Dennis' horn work. I figure this to be a staple at this point. Sounds better live, once again.
Ho Cake - Too much fun. wait, is that possible?

ENCORE:

Brighter Days - Had the crowd singing the na-na-na part at the end. Sounded good, too. JJ said we have some soul...
How Junior Got His Head Out Out - Is there a better show ender other than maybe Harp & Drums?  Best part is I told my daughter on the way to the festival that I really hoped they'd play it, but figured that the chances were slim. Couldn't have asked for a better birthday present than to hear one of my absolute favorites as the show stopper!!!

The setlist had Slow Hot & Sweaty on it, but not Junior. As much as I want to hear S,H & S, in total honesty, I'm glad they played Junior instead...

Pics will be up some time tomorrow. I'll post a link once they are. tried to take video with the cameras, but we were so close to the amps, the sound is pretty distorted. If I can come up with a way to clean it up, that'll be up as well.

All that is
All that will be
All we have is each other
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #2 

Thanks for the detailed review there slick!!

yep, Chris is one amazingly wonderful soul.

"ask to sit down 4 times........" sheesh....

but I love the fact that you kept on getting back up. lol!!

look forward to your pics!!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
Dispatch Ninja

Reply with quote  #3 

I'm hoping they have some merch at the jackson show I'm going to.  I would love a georgia warhorse shirt if they end up making some.  Thanks for posting.

FireFly

Reply with quote  #4 
ahem*cough, not having merch is a little bit lazy, ahem.
espcecially when somebody WANTS to spend the money.
they prob will have new merch at blackwater , or so they should at least, with the new record out and all. bowbow is prob ontop of that. sellin merch is what keeps the band on the road.

when I'm with you,
it's a beautiful world .."
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #5 
Man slick that's an awesome review. Can tell that you had a GREAT time!!

We've usually got a group of anywhere from 6 to 10 or 12 of us so if somebody's behind us and asking to sit down, well, they just have to move. (Somethin wrong with them peoples.)

Yes, Chris is a awesome guy. He's very dedicated to the band and his work. We're lucky to have him on the crew and on the sound. A lot of guys in his position don't give fans the time of day.

Great setlist--love your descriptions. I generally like everything they do live better than the recorded versions. But that's just me. I just like the jams, and the things that can only happen live.  And 2 shows are never the same. I, too, am a HUGE favorite of Junior, especially as a closer. In near 50 shows over the last 3 1/2 years I've seen them do Junior a ton of times. It's never the same twice and I never get tired of it.

As for merch, I think they're waiting until release date for GW stuff. I'm hoping they'll have at Blackwater.  They usually have CDs for fly-in gigs but that's it. But it's not like they do a ton of fly-ins. If I was going to make a wild guess I'd say maybe around 20%+/- of the shows are that way.
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #6 

I don't disagree FF. It's shortsighted in my opinion. Even though bowwow wasn't there it can still be done. Like, package it all in one box and check it at the airport. I dunno, maybe it just seems easier said than done.

FireFly

Reply with quote  #7 
plus its duluth minnesota, haha, just kidding, they prob went up there just for you slick!!
and never would I bust on chris, yeah right,just the occasional comment, he likes it if it comes from me,lol, I was talkin to him not too long ago at the end of the night around buscall and he was tellin somekinda story, holding a bottle of makers, after 10min or so I said "are you gonna drink that or what?if not let me have it"

(if they fly somewhere, takin all the instruments and equipment gotta be a pain,right?prob colin wasnt even there, planetix cost money. at the winery it was just jj and his manager)

when I'm with you,
it's a beautiful world .."
slick814

Reply with quote  #8 

Quote:
plus its duluth minnesota, haha, just kidding, they prob went up there just for you slick!!

It sure seemed like it!  Most of the day, folks was askin' me, "You've actually heard them? Are they any good?".....  I was like "Uh... YEAH. You DON'T want to miss this!"

One guy who was particularly unimpressed with most of the weekend, according to him, came up to me after the show and said that Mofro was the best band that has played there in 2 years. He said he had been waiting for the "moment" this year, that every year there is one act that just blows the rest away and there hadn't been one. Until last night....he slid over to me during A Woman and said that this was it for sure! Had a couple of other people say they were absolutely blown away and that the festival had ended with the best act.  3 other people asked if I knew the website, etc... and a bunch more were saying that they need to get to the record store and buy the cd's. The boys definitely made a LOT of new fans last night.

Still getting the pics uploaded. Gotta take my daughter (who, by the way, has officially admitted to being a fan now)   to the airport. She's heading to NC to visit her mom for a couple of weeks. I took the night off from work, so I'll definitely have the pics up this evening!

All that is
All that will be
slick814

Reply with quote  #9 
Here's the link to the pics... still working on cleaning up the vids, but not sure if I can ever get the audio listenable....

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/578396710mPmPOr?vhost=entertainment&start=0

All that is
All that will be
tox

Honorary Alumni Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #10 
Great review, great effort Slick. C'mon down, let's go fishing.

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #11 

Awesome Slick!! 

adore the silouette of Chris, that is soo cool!

Love the Lienne's backdrop!

as always, they look like they are have a blast!!

thank you!!!!!!!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
Mr Pilchard

Reply with quote  #12 
Great Job Slick!

Thanks for representing all us Fello Fro's that couldn't make the show.

And for promoting the Gang prior to show time!

I love hearing of new people getting turned on to the music we all love and love to promote!

Print

Quick Navigation:

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter