Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
SoFlaDave

Reply with quote  #21 
JJ photos are now posted.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.   It was a totally awesome nite.

FireFly

Reply with quote  #22 

dave , you photos are amazing! not only you took pictures , with some of them you created "art" , nice work

when I'm with you,
it's a beautiful world .."
harmonicasp20

Reply with quote  #23 

here is the setlist from Saturday. gonna post some pics as soon as I figure it out.

1.Orange Blossoms
2.Higher You Climb
3.Mississippi
4.Everything Good
5. I Believe
6.Jookhouse
7.Circles
8.War
9.Lochloosa
10.Florida
11.Ho Cake
12.Blackwater
13.6 Ways
14.Junior
Encore
15.Gotta Know
16.Stagger Lee

As far as Friday goes, couldn't get a setlist and didn't take a picture of one for some reason. I know he did The Sweetest Thing, WYLF, Lochloosa, War, Ho Cake, Everything Good, Country Ghetto, Ybor City, Orange Blossoms, Dirtfloorcracka, A Woman, Move it On, Air, Fireflies, and On Fire. For the encore-Sun is Shining Down and Hoochie Coochie Man. I think that is all of them. Just can't remember the exact order. Hope to post pics soon.

[EDIT: ADMIN NOTE: Sat setlist is below]

Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #24 

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicasp20
here is the setlist from Saturday. gonna post some pics as soon as I figure it out.

1.Orange Blossoms
2.Higher You Climb
3.Mississippi
4.Everything Good
5. I Believe
6.Jookhouse
7.Circles
8.War
9.Lochloosa
10.Florida
11.Ho Cake
12.Blackwater
13.6 Ways
14.Junior
Encore
15.Gotta Know
16.Stagger Lee

As far as Friday goes, couldn't get a setlist and didn't take a picture of one for some reason. I know he did The Sweetest Thing, WYLF, Lochloosa, War, Ho Cake, Everything Good, Country Ghetto, Ybor City, Orange Blossoms, Dirtfloorcracka, A Woman, Move it On, Air, Fireflies, and On Fire. For the encore-Sun is Shining Down and Hoochie Coochie Man. I think that is all of them. Just can't remember the exact order. Hope to post pics soon.

Thanks!! and Love seeing "Florida" again!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
FireFly

Reply with quote  #25 
I had the setlist from friday in my bra, where I keep money,ID and such but I lost it somewhere, no I didn't take it off,haha, although there was some skinnydippin planned

gotta say , even it cost a bit more, stayin at the seaside inn was very convenient, right next door to windjammers, staff was pretty  nice and funny at times, beach is right there. also loved the food at ACME cantina across the street.
can't wait to go back next year!!

when I'm with you,
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #26 
I don't know that I could describe things much better than them afore me. Other than to say that it must've been a trend cause I too lost my setlist from my bra on friday night.

2 years, 4 shows, no tapers. boooo....hissss.

Clay took 4 or 5 videos, including Stagger Lee and Gotta Know, between the 2 nights. The still pics I took can't hold a candle to SFDs. I was standing behind and to the left of him and from time to time I'd look over at when he was viewing what he had just shot and every time it was awesome. He knows what he's doing, not just the mechanics but he's got that creative eye for it that you either got or you don't. Thank you Dave, and great meeting you.

I'll be back but for now Im up to my eyeballs in work and exhausted. Partied late into the wee hours 3 nites in a row and had a 10 hour drive home yesterday. I'm getting too old for this shit.

skotdee

Alumni/Assoc Professor, Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #27 
Ok wait, Eric went and didn't tape? Maaaan, he's looking to get his Cracka Coalition card revoked 
FireFly

Reply with quote  #28 
well clay I told you not to take your bra off around a bunch of guys, jeez, didn't I teach you anything??

scotdee, i don't think there's was room for tapin' gear, was real tight in there but than I'm not a pro , just a outta control-dancin-gettin-down-right-in-front-of-stage-firefly

when I'm with you,
TrophyWife

Reply with quote  #29 
1.  What happens @ IoP stays on IoP! If you weren't there, well then 
2.  My crackberry SUCKS.  On Saturday, I logged in, typed the hell outta the setlist from Friday nite, and when I click on Post, not a damn thing happens!
3.  We had so much fun!  Me & Clay, Firefly & Liz, Sue Webb & E Stanley all stayed next door at the Seaside Inn (I surprised Clay with this - he had no idea until we got up there that we were staying next door!).  It was SO worth it.  Bein' able to just stumble back to the room whenever you felt like it, or go take a walk on the beach, or whatever!
4.  Both shows at WJ were amazing.  It was HOT, STICKY, and SWEATY, but the crowd was real cool.  Everybody was just having a good time!  The energy from the stage to the crowd and back again was awesome.  The addition of Ted on bass guitar is still blowing my mind!  And I don't think I've ever seen Dennis and Art play to quite the level that they did.
5.  FF's right - not much room for tapers, and really no place safe to stick your gear.  Eric DID tape the Greyhounds show on Saturday tho, so that'll be a treat once it's up. 
6.  So far, my all time favourite versions of Stagger Lee would be this year's and last year's at Windjammer. 
7.  Apparently my husband was wearing a bra Friday nite and I missed it!

Admin
Reply with quote  #30 
Just recovered this from my luggage. I thought I put it with my shaving kit type stuff but it was in the dirty clothes. I wasn't fully myself when I packed to come home.

Setlist
Windjammer, Isle of Palms SC
Fri Sept 16, 2010
WYLF
War
A Woman
Everything Good/Bad
Fire Flies
Air
Country Ghetto
Sweetest Thing
Lochloosa
Dirtfloorcracka'
Orange Blossoms
Move it on
Ho Cake
Ybor City
On Fire
Sun is Shining
Hoochie Coochie

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #31 
My additions to above:
  1. The Windjammer is still the shit.
  2. Great vibe, great acoustics, wide room (not narrow and cave-ish like the Pour House) so sight lines are pretty good.
  3. Nice staff people from folks at front door to bartenders to sound guy, who has his work cut out for him there. I'm sure the stage was an addition at some point. It makes things really hairy for Colin (band TM) to get JJ his guitars much less water or other cold beverages to the guys and equally or more challenging for the sound tech for the house. He tries real hard to be invisible.
  4. The bartenders hustle.
  5. The location is awesome but never, ever, ever considering drinking and driving there. There are literally cops standing with outside their cars across the street from the club; the have their arms crossed and their legs in position. I've never seen anything quite so obvious or intimidating. Funny as shit was the eight or ten 20-somethings sitting on the curb across from them literally chiding them. The cops stood there like the Palace Guard in London while these folks were making fun of them. Since all of them were sitting there waiting in a cab the cops didn't do anything. Two of the girls got up a started to cartwheels and gymnastics, in skirts, in the middle of the street. It was hilarious.
  6. It was so goddam hot in there that hell is jealous.
  7. At one point I walked outside, and it was in the 80s and humid as shit at night, and it felt like air conditioning.
  8. There are a lot, and I mean A LOT, of fine-looking young ladies in South Carolina. (And for the majority of them I'm old enuf to be their father, and for even some their grandfather.)
Star of both nights: Ted. Maybe it's cause he's new but also cause of his talent. He's good y'all and he brings a style that, IMHO, goes back to Fabrice. Plus from a stage presence standpoint he adds a great dynamic. He bounces and his left leg never stops going up and down to the beat.

Runner up: Dennis. He was in the zone all 3 nights. Followed up by Trube who'll make you laugh because he's ham but also make you go slacked-jawed because the guitar is truly his instrument.

I honestly don't think I've seen JJ any more spot on since the Windjammer shows last year. And that's considering I've been to 16-18 shows in between.

Having 3 guitars is amazing. Daryl was kicking ass and laughing and having a great time. AC was dying in the heat up on stage but you wouldn't know it (until I talked to him after) cause he was all over the beat. He so loves his minimalist drum approach. I swear if he could play no drums he would (and he'd kick ass.)
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #32 

Hey Richard, kinda tough to tell in one post how to get into taping, its a pretty broad subject with a lot of variables. Start here:

http://www.taperssection.com/index.php?topic=35278.0

Looooong story short you're gonna need Mics, Mic Power, Gain, Analog to digital conversion, and storage space. Luckily these days you can get most of that in one package. Lots of options. Not to mention all the miscellaneous gear like mic stands, clamps, mic mounts, cables, etc. Read up, tapersection.com is your friend...

Oh and one more thing, check your wallet at the door

FireFly

Reply with quote  #33 
there was pretty southern girls? what was I looking at?lol

nice review though, kiddin aside

when I'm with you,
Richard

Director of really really really
really really long posts

Reply with quote  #34 
Hey SFD,
As one who enjoys, and wants to be a photographer or has wanted to be since birth....I must say your shots are nothing short of being just flat out rich. And to the rest of you lucky southern asses, who got to take in these shows.....gawddamn !!! I could almost feel the stickyyyyyyness from the photos and King Clay's video.  You know what is just down right to frickin' cool .....? Is the fact that even though there are thousnds of bands to chose from, and growing everyday, and maybe like my Grandmother always said" You kids have to many choices today" is the fact that a band like this comes around, and you can get all excited about their shit from the new cd, the live shows, the videos, the live recordings, the halfassed selfserving yet lightly polite reviews by some kid, who thinks he's a fan, or has privilaged rights because he's got a job with the local paper, or because he finally worked his way through the line/crowd, or because he thinks that JJ should pay attention to his scribe technique thus learn to seperate himself from the likes of Barbra Striessand, Cherly Crow(who I like), Madona, or any other Message bearing loudmouth, who ought to stick to their craft of playing the hits, and not running their jaws, cause lord knows I did not work all week to pay to hear how I should use toilet paper from some broad who was doing a bicycle rider all juiced up on ....who knows what...? Hey, if you can't handle the fact that JJ tells a story or two or 75, in between, before, or after a, or every song...... then let me show you the door, cause your taking up valuable space on the dance floor Jackson, and now I gotta damn near hear you whine about it coming from the newspapaer that is also telling me how to be green !  C'mon kid, aint nobody more proud of you and your talent at putting a few shiny and fancey words together, and getting to see your name attached to the story, than your mom and pops, so here is 50 cents or my cell phone, so that you can call them, and tell them how hard your job is, getting into shows, seeing a bunch of folks enjoying themselves more than you would at a Detroit Lions game, some of them are drunk too, sweaty, dripping, nearly naked, laughing, and HELL YES they are singing their collective Army Mule Asses off the whole godamn night long cause it's their right and if you don't believe....just research your topic a bit more via Archive.org....and listen to JJ's words and declarations....start there, and then put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Man I can't wait until Sept.
lil mofro ho

Reply with quote  #35 
Amen!

skotdee

Alumni/Assoc Professor, Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyWife
5.  FF's right - not much room for tapers, and really no place safe to stick your gear.  

Hmmph, lightweight. Where theres a will theres a way 
(just kiddin ya E)

Hmmm, now where have I seen that taper post before Clay? 
d.o.e

Official Director of Excess
Reply with quote  #37 

saaa-weet Video...

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #38 

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #39 

Quote:

Hmmm, now where have I seen that taper post before Clay? 

SKOT I TOTALLY MEANT TO GIVE YOU CREDIT FOR THAT! IT WAS LATE AND I'M STILL TARRED OUT FROM THE 3 NITE RUN!!
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #40 

I keep forgetting to say I really enjoyed meeting ON FIRE! I talked with her both nights and she's really cute and nice and has a beautiful smile. I saw her talking to JJ the second night, maybe that's why she was smiling. I had actually met her friend last year but that's another story for another time!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter