Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
agrundvig

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey there, Mofro fans!

I'm new to mofrofans (and JJ Grey & Mofro), but what a discovery!  [Fingers crossed] Here's hoping my attendance at JJ Grey and Mofro's magical show in Salt Lake City on June 28, 2010 is not my last.

Thought I would post the setlist from Monday's show (and some commentary for good measure)

1. Ybor City (great opener to get the crowd going)
2. I Believe (truly beautiful song)
3. Mississippi (appropriately, JJ changed some of the "Mississippi"s to "Salt Lake City" to the delight of the crowd)
4. A Woman
5. WYLF
6. War (piledriving, epic performance on this song)
7. Lochloosa (truly incredible)
8. Sweetest Thing (from Georgia Warhorse)
9. Dirtfloorcracka'
10. Country Ghetto (not played)
11. Ho Cake (this song went at least ten minutes)
12. Air (scratched from the list)
13. Orange Blossoms
14. On Fire (JJ's intro to this song was fantastic...his dad was blushing somewhere!)
15. Brighter Days (favorite song of the night)
16. Gotta Know (from Georgia Warhorse) - encore 1
17. Everything Good is Bad - encore 2

I appreciate the opportunity to be a part of this community and to have discovered such amazing performers in JJ and the boys.

Cheers,

Adam Grundvig

Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #2 

Welcome to the Front Porch Adam!!  We hope this won't be your last visit.  This is a fantastic forum of folks and the Mofro knowledge hovering here is beyond your wildest dreams!  go ahead and ask anything, anything ... there are folks here that have been round from the very begining.

I am sure that will not be your last show!

Spread the Mofro Love!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
Markus

Reply with quote  #3 
Welcome, Adam! Kewl peeps here fo sho. 
Markus

Reply with quote  #4 
Welcome, Adam! Kewl peeps here fo sho. 
lil mofro ho

Reply with quote  #5 
Welcome Adam- I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say your still floatin on air since the show!!  We all know the feeling.
ares77

Reply with quote  #6 

What up Adam!  Sounds like you had a good ole heapin helpin of some grilled, blackened, and baked to perfection MOFRO!!!!!Welcome to our freindly fansite!!

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #7 
Hey y'all don't you love when someone new comes on the board and brings a gift for us. Quite mannerly of you agrundvig. If you notice the navigation tabs over on the left of the page I have one for setlists that once a week or so I take the board thread page and link it to there. Makes it easy for folks to find. So you done perfect by posting it.

(For those in the know, bowwow's not on this 6-night western swing so we may be tardy in getting setlists, making agrundvig's setlist contribution even more valuable!)

Glad to have you here!
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #8 
Very nice setlist btw. They've been doing Sweetest Thing at near every show; I'm gonna be surprised if it's not the first single. There are those who say I'm wrong, including my trophy wife. A 10 min+ version of Ho Cake is enuf to blow your mind. As for Gotta Know, there's 2, maybe 3 threads on the board about it...just go to the search feature and put in Gotta Know and they should come up. Too bad Air got scratched, great live song--everybody get's into singing it like Lochloosa.
Mofroette

Reply with quote  #9 
Forum virgin aswell, Mofro slut! I posted a review of that show myself.  Gotta love em'.  
Welcome fellow Utahan,  see you @ The State Room on Sep 16th?  Yup- they are coming back real soon!

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil mofro ho
Welcome Adam- I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say your still floatin on air since the show!!  We all know the feeling.
Floating, indeed.  I can't get the music, the lyrics, JJ's energy as a performer, or the relaxing, care-free, yet energetic mood out of my mind.  I want to relive it ASAP...perhaps in Boise this Saturday...if I can convince my wife to roadtrip with me! 
agrundvig

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine

Welcome to the Front Porch Adam!!  We hope this won't be your last visit.  This is a fantastic forum of folks and the Mofro knowledge hovering here is beyond your wildest dreams!  go ahead and ask anything, anything ... there are folks here that have been round from the very begining.

I am sure that will not be your last show!

Spread the Mofro Love!!

Thanks, Sunshine.  Certainly not my last visit to the site or my last show.  I'm already planning the next one.
agrundvig

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ares77

What up Adam!  Sounds like you had a good ole heapin helpin of some grilled, blackened, and baked to perfection MOFRO!!!!!Welcome to our freindly fansite!!

Hey there, ares77.  Nothing short of perfection.  Thanks for your welcome to the site.
Dispatch Ninja

Reply with quote  #13 

Can't wait to experience my first live Mofro show.  I know it will be a very memorable night.  Sounds like you had a great time. 

agrundvig

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1
Very nice setlist btw. They've been doing Sweetest Thing at near every show; I'm gonna be surprised if it's not the first single. There are those who say I'm wrong, including my trophy wife. A 10 min+ version of Ho Cake is enuf to blow your mind. As for Gotta Know, there's 2, maybe 3 threads on the board about it...just go to the search feature and put in Gotta Know and they should come up. Too bad Air got scratched, great live song--everybody get's into singing it like Lochloosa.
MofroFan1, I am an obsessive compulsive attorney who researches and studies, researches and studies, researches and studies...you get the idea.  I looked at the 18 setlists before SLC and burned a disk of the 17 most-played songs in descending order of play frequency (boy do I sound like a nerd...maybe it's because I am).  Only I Believe and Gotta Know were surprises (both were amazing), so I was able to sing along to most of everything else.  Not bad after first discovering JJ Grey & Mofro less than two months ago.
agrundvig

Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTX

Can't wait to experience my first live Mofro show.  I know it will be a very memorable night.  Sounds like you had a great time. 

Had a great time, JTX.  My wife, who is 8 years older than I and stuck in the synthesizer-heavy, pop garbage era of the 80s (I'm no better...stuck in the woe-is-me, guitar-screeching, baritone-loving grunge era of the 90s), had no interest in going to the show until the day before.  She's been raving about the show to her friends more than I have been (and I've been talking a lot).  There's nothing better than a talented group of performers who 1) care about the people who paid money to see them, 2) love what they do, 3) have an emotional/spiritual/physical connection to their art, and 4) invite people to be a part of what they are.  JJ and Mofro served all four elements in heaping helpings.  Hope you experience your first show soon.  Regards, Adam

Dispatch Ninja

Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrundvig
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTX

Had a great time, JTX.  My wife, who is 8 years older than I and stuck in the synthesizer-heavy, pop garbage era of the 80s (I'm no better...stuck in the woe-is-me, guitar-screeching, baritone-loving grunge era of the 90s), had no interest in going to the show until the day before.  She's been raving about the show to her friends more than I have been (and I've been talking a lot).  There's nothing better than a talented group of performers who 1) care about the people who paid money to see them, 2) love what they do, 3) have an emotional/spiritual/physical connection to their art, and 4) invite people to be a part of what they are.  JJ and Mofro served all four elements in heaping helpings.  Hope you experience your first show soon.  Regards, Adam

I'm kind of in your same boat :-) My fiance is ten years older than me...and I told her that she has no choice but to go with me to see Mofro live lol.  You hit the nail on the head with those 4 points.  That's exactly what I expect when they come through my part of town.  I get goose bumps just from watching their live footage on youtube.

giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #17 
Welcome to the Front Porch Adam!
It seems that you caught a bad case of MOFRO-itis! Doesn't it feel great???
Thank you very kindly for posting the setlist, we 'Fro-fanatics have the sweetest addiction that we feed by living vicariously through the experiences of others until we get to our next live show!

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

kateric10

Reply with quote  #18 
I have been to my fair amount of Mofro shows (approaching 20ish).  Unfortunately, this was one of my least favorites.  But honestly how can JJ put on a bad show?  He can't.  I don't know if it was the venue, crowd (or lack of), the scorching dry heat in Utah,  JJ in an odd mood, or what.  Maybe I am just used to a very intimate show where JJ is drooling all over my wife (LOL) and slapping the crowd high 5's the entire show and drinking his ass off!

The show in Utah a few months later was one of my favorites (nothing will beat the second time I saw Mofro back in 2003 or 2004 in Telluride at the Juke Joint).

Just my 2 cents....
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #19 

I know exactly what you mean kateric. My wife and I--and friends--always invariably end up asking each other after a show where we rate it compared to others.  There's never a bad show but sometimes something just doesn't add it all up, relatively speaking.

Print

Quick Navigation:

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter