Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
helix77

Reply with quote  #1 
http://www.staggerlee.com/index.php

Maybe this has been posted here before. Pretty amazing stuff, specially the history section.

Official Director of Excess
Reply with quote  #2 
well I'll be damn...
thanks for the link
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #3 
Now THAT is cool.  I surely had never heard that version or read that history.  We had a post awhile back about the version that JJ sings, its lyrics and who it originated by  http://www.mofrofans.com/board/board_topic/5292004/411076.htm

Thanks helix!!
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #4 

Nice nugget there helix!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
helix77

Reply with quote  #5 
The list section contains 423 recordings of the song.(with audio playback)

The library section contains 8 different sets of lyrics and their origins amongst other things.

The following quote is on the last page, page 12 of the history section.

"Singers and bands, both big and small, continue to record and perform variations of this song. Our list of artists who have recorded this song is over 400 names long. Not including multiple versions by the same artist, in the 85 years since the first recording that’s an average of 1 new recording every 10 weeks."

Admin
Reply with quote  #6 
I just ran across this in way back in a dusty corner on the front porch. For them's of you that never saw saw it it gives a helluva background to the song.

And if you haven't seen em do it live then scream for it next time. For now though, for those of you that ain't seen it here ya go.

Bad Habit

Traveling Ambassador of Goodwill
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1
I just ran across this in way back in a dusty corner on the front porch. For them's of you that never saw saw it it gives a helluva background to the song.

And if you haven't seen em do it live then scream for it next time. For now though, for those of you that ain't seen it here ya go.

First, thanks for posting this video again as it reminds me of one of THE best shows I've attended to date!  

Second, every time I watch this video I laugh at the guy you can hear "giggling" during Art's special dance moves (4:10-4:16) 

I wonder who that is giggling like a schoolgirl?  According to others:

Quote:
Quote:
Clay giggles.
She is sooooo totally making that up!

Quote:
Quote:
Award for Giggling the most like a little school girl and smelling like onions – Clay

I do NOT giggle!

Hmm...

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #8 

That couldn't have possibly been me "giggling" cuz I wasn't even there.

Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #9 

I'm new to the forum, so apologies for not responding sooner to the original post.  There is a really good read on the whole story:  Stagolee Shot Billy by Cecil Brown.  You can pick up your own copy on CecilBrown.net.  Brown has also written an historical novel based on the events, I Stagolee, but I haven't read that one (yet). 

Admin
Reply with quote  #10 
I believe ur one of the ones I forgot to welcome CravenMoore...so, Welcome!

And thanks for the info.
lemurgrl

Reply with quote  #11 

Aw... this video holds a special place in my heart, that was my first show! I can't believe I didn't know how lucky I was to be hearing "Stagger Lee."

Bad Habit

Traveling Ambassador of Goodwill
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:

That couldn't have possibly been me "giggling" cuz I wasn't even there.

Oh, it was probably TW's other boyfriend - oopsie! 
lil mofro ho

Reply with quote  #13 
Perhaps a... Trophy Boyfriend??  LOL
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter