Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #1 
Holy cwap y'all the band is coming to the Windjammer in Isle of Palms, SC on July 8th. I didn't know if they'd play their again. Place is pretty small. Right on the beach. Some of the best shows the guys I've ever seen that they've put on have been at the Windjammer. Too bad it's on a Wed night though. They usually have played 2 shows there. On weekends. But anyone within a few hours ought to try to make this. Believe me this will sell out fast.
https://mofro.frontgatetickets.com/event/4r4qzrsnh2184b0p
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #2 

It's not quite as small as what this photo may depict but it ain't a helluva lot bigger either.

\

Here's a link to best of the the 5/21/11 show pics that I took. https://flic.kr/s/aHsjuZatuW
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #3 
If you ain't seen Stagger Lee you ain't lived. You shoulda heard people shout for it all night. JJ tends to get, well, overserved there sometimes and since it ain't no kid friendly place he obliged. Uhhhh...for the initiated this here gets a bit on the graphic side.

Some old crew folks up front with SoFlaDave shooting pics. He shot some fabulous stuff there unlike my amateur stuff above.

You might want to check out this Junior too.

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #4 
Oh man I didn't remember I shot Gotta Know. (Course I killed a lotta brain cells that weekend. My memory is in and out.)

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #5 
Oh my! Seminole Wind.
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #6 
Rare photos of Ted Pecchio on bass (sort of). He was on board for just a few weeks before he had to leave for family reasons. Really nice guy.

And here's a gallery of photos from their July, 2010 shows.
https://flic.kr/s/aHsjrw1sJw
FireFly

Mofrofans.com Interplanetary

Ambassador

Reply with quote  #7 
aaahhh windjammersssssssssssssssssssssssss
the memories
too much fun
beach!
I hear people get naked there sometimes
those photos i think thats when you had your new camera, you took lots of videos
I wanna go back
rooooadtriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip ...liz...trophywife...vikki

( funny quotes from rombello )
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #8 
Ah yes indeed.
I'm not sure but I think these 2 beauties went running down the beach necked at some point. (It is a virtual sweat box in that place.)
JJ Grey and Mofro Windjammer 2010 180 by You Can Call Me Clay (www.mofrofans.com), on Flickr
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #9 
Put some bacon on that syrup!
JJ Grey & Mofro-June 26 and 27, Windjammer, Isle of Palms by You Can Call Me Clay (www.mofrofans.com), on Flickr
Brighter Day

Reply with quote  #10 
HOLY CWAP is right.....A LONG TIME WISH COME TRUE!!!!!
OUR FAAAAAVORIIIIIIIITE PLACE!!!!!!!!!
Love, Love, Love the Windjammer!!!
Many, many, many good memories!!!
The Good Ole Days!!!!!!

Admin
Reply with quote  #11 
I'm sure you could see yourselves in many of those pics Brighter Day. That's where we first met y'all. (Craven Moore too actually.)
lazyep

Reply with quote  #12 
Ok MoforFan1, just HOW awesome is this venue? Like long road trip worthy? I'm usually off in the middle of the week anyway and obviously I've taken some long road trips to see the Boys before. Is this worthy of another?
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #13 
It's serious awesome. It's small, hot, sweaty and that ain't only a play on words. Wooden floors, wooden stage floor only a couple of feet up. Place has pure beach character. Which it should considering it's right on the beach. Go during the day, grab a great burger or fish sandwich, watch volleyball, walk down to the beach. The booking agent's site says capacity of 550 but I ain't thinking so. At best if they take the pool tables out and all the shows I've been to they don't that. They just cover 'em. And another corner is taken up by merch. I think capacity more like 400. Small beach club.

A picture says a 1,000 words. This is a look at the back of the club.

windjammer rear crop.jpg 
If we could turn the camera 180 degrees you'd be facing the ocean, a 20-30 yard walk down a boardwalk to a wide beach. Think Volusia county like Daytona/New Smyrna/Ormond wide.

Laid back little tiny beach town there's not much too Isle of Palms.  There's a swanky very small area a couple miles--10 mins on 25-30 mile road-- down the way if you want any of that...little cafes, locally owned $$ restaurants, little shops and such.

If you've time to spend a couple days there EP I think you'd love it. It's right up your alley. Beautiful beach, state parks, water recreation stuff like you like! Some people have even been known to surf there.

Mofro Windjammer 2 nite run June 27-28 240.jpg 

BUT there are not any affordable hotels on Isle of Palms. There are like 2 hotels there unless something has been built. The one right next door is $200 plus a night in the summer and it ain't like the rooms are fancy. Nice but not fancy and not big either. The other is cheaper but I've heard real mixed things about I. You have to go across the bridge back toward Charleston--about 15 mins or so--to find like a Hampton or Courtyard. Unless some new hotels have been built in the 3-4 years since I've been there you have to go another 10 mins beyond that to find something more affordable like a Comfort Inn or something cheaper yet above the bedbug level. In between is a little mom and pop restaurant that serves GREAT breakfast 24 hours a day.

Out of the 100+ shows I've been to over the years I have to say that the 4 or 5 shows at the Windjammer had the youngest I've seen. Lots of college kids. Lots. But no fighting. They get shitfaced and I've seen a few getting thrown out for being too shitfaced but no fighting or extreme rowdiness. Considering how hot and packed in there it is that's pretty good.

Word of note. The Isle of Palms PD hang out right out the front of the club at closing time. If you favor getting a DUI this would be the perfect opportunity!

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #14 
Here's a link to their streaming webcams.

http://www.the-windjammer.com/wp/deck-cam/
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #15 
I just talked to Jen and told her you asked if it was worth the road trip and without hesitation she said: "absofuckinglutely". Only downside is they're only playing one night.

She also reminded that there are 3 restaurants in walking distance, really good food, locally owned, casually beachy places and reasonably priced.
Brighter Day

Reply with quote  #16 
Hey Clay...
Oh yeah...WJ is where we met you and Jen, Liz, Ute, SoFlaDave, Erica,
Harp20 and Danny and yes Jim

Reply with quote  #17 
Well, crap.....it only printed 1/8 of my message. Too late...will repost tomorrow.

Reply with quote  #18 
Stand by Erin....for a message from me....tomorrow!

Reply with quote  #19 
As I was saying....and Jim. I'm not sure who else. Good times.
(I think what happened with my message last night was that I put an Emoji after Jim's
name and it dumped the rest of my message). And I don't have a clue as to why my
font is so teeny tiny......But anyway, Erin...

Clay was spot on with all that he said. Yes, most all of the hotels are $200 plus a night.
There are hotels on the Isle of Palms Connector in Mt. Pleasant that are 3-4 miles from
Isle of Palms and about 9 miles from Charleston. I know for sure there is a Hampton,
Comfort Inn and Marriott. Hope this helps some. And like Clay said... you would love it.

P. S. Clay?...do we not have our little smiley face guys on here any more?

Admin
Reply with quote  #20 
Hmmmmmm....I'm seeing it. It's not there for you?

board smiley.JPG 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter