Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
slick814

Reply with quote  #1 
OK.. so there's your casseroles and your hot dishes... not sure what the difference is, to be honest, but growing up in Northern MN, we ate alot of both, especially once the weather started getting cold. Nothing like a hot dish to warm up the insides when it's freezing outside!

This is one of my favorites.... (no pics... sorry, camera doesn't make this look as good as it tastes)

16 oz. Wild Rice (this will give you about 6-8 cups of cooked)
1 pkg. bacon
2 cans of mushrooms (stems & pieces)
4 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup (or 2 Cream of Celery & 2 Cream of Mushroom)
1 lb. hamburger (optional)

Cook the rice per the instructions on the package, but don't allow it to completely cook. Leave some of the water in the pan with the rice. At about 40 minutes or so, the rice will start to open up. This is when you take it off the heat.
Cut the bacon into pieces, add the mushrooms and cook them together in the same pan until the bacon is thoroughly cooked. The mushrooms should be nicely glazed at this point as well. Drain the grease
Brown the hamburger if adding it.
Add the soups, bacon, mushrooms (and hamburger) to the rice, stir well.

bake in the oven covered at 350 for about 45 minutes. Remove cover and bake another 15-20 minutes. If the rice is open and "fluffy" looking, it is done. If the rice isn't opening, don't be afraid to add a little more water and cook a bit longer.
Serve it as a main dish or as a side.

I prefer to add a little butter when I'm eating it, but that's just the way we ate a lot of food around our house for some reason.  It does seem to mellow some of the stronger flavors.

This recipe makes a LOT, so cuting it in half is perfect for 2-3 people, with some left over. Otherwise this will feed 5 or 6 pretty well (and most likely some leftovers as well)

All that is
All that will be
All we have is each other
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #2 
sounds purty tastey ............ it has bean quite some time since I have had wild rice.
In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
slick814

Reply with quote  #3 
Now that's just a crime! Ya need to get hold of yer fam in 'Sconnie and have 'em send ya some. But then again, Minnie wild rice is better, so maybe you need someone here ta hook you up.

All that is
All that will be
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick814
Now that's just a crime! Ya need to get hold of yer fam in 'Sconnie and have 'em send ya some. But then again, Minnie wild rice is better, so maybe you need someone here ta hook you up.
I am assuming that wild rice is better if from up yonder?? 
and here I thought I could
just go into town and get be a bag o wild rice........ 

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
slick814

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick814
I am assuming that wild rice is better if from up yonder?? 
and here I thought I could
just go into town and get be a bag o wild rice........ 
Maybe.... but somehow getting it from someone up north seems better.... wild, as opposed to cultivated, I guess. That and they don't generally charge as much per pound as the stores do.

All that is
All that will be
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter