Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4
meandmyfriend

Reply with quote  #61 
A surprised smile a sweet whisper and pleasure... that is my thought for the moment and I text her at 1210 and said no you're not dreaming.... it's really just a beautiful world and I think that's how a woman wants to be loved by her man
Brighter Day

Reply with quote  #62 
PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply with quote  #63 
Those pictures are awesome Bad Habit!  I had just left from beside you and went to stand by my brother right before this happened.  It was awesome!  Great show!
meandmyfriend

Reply with quote  #64 
This is so funny...no set list posted....come on Bad Habit where you at? I know you got it.
thefollower

Reply with quote  #65 
Hell yea she has it, swooped it in her purse faster than Clark Kent changes in a telephone booth like I didn't want it or didn't see her do it....
Bad Habit

Traveling Ambassador of Goodwill
Reply with quote  #66 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefollower
Hell yea she has it, swooped it in her purse faster than Clark Kent changes in a telephone booth like I didn't want it or didn't see her do it....

Oh, why didn't you SAY something??  I would've given it to you!!  Funny, I didn't even remember getting it!  I read this, went and looked in my purse, and sure enough - there it was, just like you said!  The whole night is a blur... sorry

So, here's the setlist:

Orange Blossoms
Circles
War
Brighter Days
Dirtfloor
I Believe
Mississippi
Sweetest Thing
Somebody Else (Hide & Seek was on setlist, but this is what they played)
Lochloosa
EGIB
Slow, Hot, & Sweaty
Ho Cake
A Woman

encore:
Shining Down
Junior
Bad Habit

Reply with quote  #67 

First, I get a half-naked hug from JJ, and now I get serenaded – and a slow dance to boot?  Yes, I am one lucky girl   My mom always said it was OK to be spoiled as long as I appreciate it, and I certainly do!!! 

Well, here’s the story from Birmingham, to the best of my recollection anyway.  I was in a bit of an altered state of mind, so the details aren’t quite clear.  I stood a little to the left of the mic stand, closer to Farrell, and the night started off great!  I loved the opening band, Van Ghost, and absolutely loved Jennifer Hartswick (my first time hearing her live).  The venue was sold out, but at only 450 capacity, the crowd was just right.  Soon after Van Ghost, the guys came out, seemingly in a great mood.  They really tore it up, and the crowd went wild – lots of great energy all around.  I had my friends Polly & Sharron on my right and Jessica (aka meandmyfriend, minus her friend) on my left, and we were all singing, dancing, and smiling like fools – life was good!

Toward the end of the set (in between songs) I somehow knocked my beer over, my nearly full beer, and in my delayed reaction ended up kind of pushing the bottle further instead of turning it right side up.  I was so embarrassed at the huge mess I’d made  - right where JJ had been standing all night.  I felt bad because I probably wasn’t even supposed to have a drink up there anyway, and there it was mocking me – my eleven ounces of shame.  

IMG_7185 by ericamnorman, on Flickr

Not to worry, Aaron came out to save the day and mopped up my mess with a towel.  

IMG_7189 by ericamnorman, on Flickr

*I don’t remember this part at all, but thanks to the pictures I see that JJ had taken off his shoes as some point – don’t know if it was before or after I spilled my drink (prob before).

IMG_7188 by ericamnorman, on Flickr  

IMG_7187 by ericamnorman, on Flickr

Anyway, the final song of the night, before the encore, was A Woman.  At some point in the song (I think he’d already started singing, but I’m not sure) JJ came to the edge of the stage near me and kind of kicked/shuffled his feet.  I, thinking I was in the way, started moving my stuff (purse/camera), but that didn’t seem to be the problem.  Then he started pointing and miming that he was coming down – turns out it wasn’t my stuff in the way, it was me.  So Polly and I parted, making room for JJ to jump down from the low stage.  Again, I’m pretty sure he was actually singing at this point (meaning he wasn’t able to talk).  I guess I thought he was going to walk around through the crowd to sing, so when he came towards me, I tried to move out of his way.  He came closer, I moved.  He came closer, I moved again.  I don’t know how many times this happened, but finally, he kind of grabbed me in a bear-hug sort of way and didn’t let go.  I looked up at him all wild-eyed and anxiously cried, “I - I don’t know what to do!!!”  That’s when he leaned into me and softly said, “Just dance with me.”

IMG_7190 copy by ericamnorman, on Flickr

IMG_7192 by ericamnorman, on Flickr

IMG_7193 by ericamnorman, on Flickr

Um… OK?!?! 

My first thought was What in the hell are you doing???  As I’ve said to others, you could’ve knocked me over with a damn feather!  I’m frantically looking around at the guys trying to see if they were surprised at the antics going on or if they knew this was going to happen – couldn’t tell.  Then I’m looking around the venue noticing every single eye on me, and I was SO super embarrassed!!!  Most people were smiling; some wild-eyed in wonderment, like myself; and some, I do believe, were shooting me daggers in jealousy wondering why in the world JJ picked me of all people – how’d I get so lucky? – it’s not fair!  Despite the fact that we were surrounded by hundreds of people, the situation was strangely intimate.  I kept thinking What are you doing?  All these people are watching!  It was sort of like a dream, one in which I felt as though we were going to get “caught.”  Trying to get past all the confusion and embarrassment, I said to myself, “Fuck it, enjoy this moment, girl!”  And so dance, we did.  I closed my eyes and pretended for just a second that we were the only ones there – while still occasionally casting furtive glances around to make sure I wasn’t getting too far lost in the dream   This moment, us slow dancing while JJ sang lyrics about how a woman wants to be loved by her man, could have lasted mere seconds or for the whole song – I really don’t know.  I guess you could say that for me, time just stood still.  *sigh*

Eventually, this girl with short, dark hair came out of nowhere, trying to cut in on our dance.  Not wanting to be selfish (and not yet knowing the rules to this new game) I went ahead and started let her on in, much to JJ’s chagrin.  Hey, how was I to know?  

picturewithfunnycomments by ericamnorman, on Flickr

Soon after that he was outta there! 

IMG_7195 by ericamnorman, on Flickr

He jumped back on the stage and finished the song.  

IMG_7196 by ericamnorman, on Flickr

IMG_7197 by ericamnorman, on Flickr

I don’t remember if he hugged me or shook my hand after the song – or maybe I’m just thinking of when he gave me the guitar pick (which I’m pretty sure was after The Sun is Shining Down).  By the way, I keep forgetting to tell him Thank You for the pick!  He doesn’t know this, but I used to get picks from him all the time when I first started going to shows.  My friends constantly made fun of me – saying,  “Let me guess, you got another one!”  But ever since I met JJ and the other guys (and all y’all) I’ve yet to be given another pick before now – strange.

Anyway, yes, after the song was over and all the excitement had died down, meandmyfriend sent me a text message that said, “No, you’re not dreaming!” – which was funny because I was actually just thinking to myself Did THAT really just happen?!?!  I also received a text message from this guy I was supposed to meet up with but had never met in person yet – his message said, “Hard to miss you now, groovin’ with JJ.  Very nice.”  Goodness only knows what he must be thinking.  Oh, and THANK YOU so much to meandmyfriend for thinking to take pictures!!!  That may truly be the only way I could convince myself that this crazy thing really did happen   The rest of the show was just as great – the On Fire encore with all that brass was to die for!  And I had been hoping all night that Jennifer Hartswick would come out and play with Dennis – unbelievable!!!

IMG_7233 by ericamnorman, on Flickr

After the show, I was following “the follower” backstage where he was going to hang out a bit with AC, but this jerk/bouncer cut me off and wouldn’t let me back there.  No worries, I was just going to sit and wait until he was done.  So I’m outside the door sitting on somebody’s ice chest when the same jerk came out later yelling that I was going to have to leave (he was actually yelling at this other guy too who kept saying he was somebody and allowed to go back there to see JJ).  Aaron tried to tell the guy that I was fine and to let me back, but the guy refused to listen – creep!  Finally, Aaron came over there and gave me what I call “the keys to the castle” (his keys, passes – whatever all that stuff was) and let me in his self.  When I got back there everybody was gone except for JJ and the two couples he was chatting with.  So I just sat my happy ass down in one of the comfy chairs and waited.  Dennis came and sat with me a few minutes to talk.  I finally remembered to ask him what in the world all that stuff was he kept in his pockets - after I felt him up first, of course And then he told me something about a car – either he just bought one, or he’s buying one, or he’s restoring one, or he wants one – I don’t know.  But it had something to do with an Impala, I think.  Unfortunately, my mind wasn’t any clearer by this point, so I can’t remember much of any of my conversations that night.  O’well!  By the way, one of guys back there talking with JJ happened to be Darren, the owner of Mavericks.  I said hello to him and reminded him that I’d met him at the Ponte Vedra solo show in September.  Also, for any of you teachers out there – one of the girls backstage had me use her camera to take a picture of Flat Stanley with JJ

After the other couples left, JJ came over and sat next to me where I was curled up in the chair practically asleep.  He, of course, was wide-awake and just as chatty as ever.  We talked about all kinds of stuff (and no, I don’t remember all the specifics) including the BBQ sauce, the new album, artwork for the new album, haircuts, etc.  And by the way, CLAY, we talked about when my next shows were, and JJ said that yes, I can too go to the shows in Canada if I want to, so there!!!  Of course, after I jokingly said I wasn’t allowed in Canada, he wanted to know why…  As I began explaining about stalking and restraining orders it started to get a little weird, especially when he said, “But you’re not a stalker.”  I wasn’t sure he’d quite understand our sense of humor, so I quickly led the discussion in a different direction  

At this time I did ask him what in the world happened earlier during the show with the whole dancing thing.  His response?  “Oh, I was just trying something new.”  Which, after reading Craven Moore’s post about JJ trying new things (playing drums at an earlier show), makes perfect sense.  Maybe he just wanted to see how much the ladies in the crowd pawed at him if decided to start doing something like that.  I thought it was kind of funny when I posted the pictures on facebook and lots of people commented that out of anyone I “deserved” this moment.  I don’t know about all that.  I’m not sure anyone “deserves” or “earns” moments like these, but I guess I know what they meant, and it was sweet to hear   My mom said he probably just felt “safe” with me (relatively speaking, of course) and knew he could trust me.  He probably knows that I would only “attack” him if it were absolutely necessary (such as at the Macon show when his shirt kept coming unsnapped).

And so there’s my story… crazy as it may be!  I only wished someone had videotaped that moment so I could add a few more details to what my memory lacks.  Readymade was there taping, so perhaps when I listen to A Woman I’ll be transported back to that moment in time

Delerious Tyme

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #68 
EPIC
There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
ibleedFLA

Reply with quote  #69 
Bad Habit you are a goddess
giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #70 
What a magical moment! So glad it happened to you!

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

Lumberingox

Reply with quote  #71 
Good for you !

The only thing that would have improved the pics would have been a Clay photobomb of some sorts..
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #72 

Erica, thanks for sharing and meandmyfriend for capturing the moment! 
What an absolutely AMAZING moment you had!!!  And yes, I would say that it definately happened to a most deserving soul!!  for as much time and effort (your Mofro dress for one) you put into supporting and spreading the Mofro love, you "earned"it!  I am very very happy for you!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
thefollower

Reply with quote  #73 
You know, I was just sitting here smoking which of course made me over analyze the sh*t out of this so just hear me out.  I bet JJ has noticed you following them all over the country then noticed you following them all over the world and I think he has just waited to pay you back with a HUGE thank you and basically saying keep on comin back things will keep on getting better and better.  "High thought by the follower"
meandmyfriend

Reply with quote  #74 
Hey billy I agree and i think she is the number 1 mofro fan
Bad Habit

Reply with quote  #75 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefollower
You know, I was just sitting here smoking which of course made me over analyze the sh*t out of this so just hear me out.  I bet JJ has noticed you following them all over the country then noticed you following them all over the world and I think he has just waited to pay you back with a HUGE thank you and basically saying keep on comin back things will keep on getting better and better.  "High thought by the follower"

You are TOO much, but I love you anyway   And yes, you are probably over-analyzing the situation, although I like the part that says "keep on comin back things will keep on getting better and better".  I can't imagine how but look forward to finding out!
Bad Habit

Reply with quote  #76 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberingox
Good for you !

The only thing that would have improved the pics would have been a Clay photobomb of some sorts..

Ha ha!  Yeah, that would've been great!
MistyDHamby

Reply with quote  #77 
Nothing like hearing it from the horse's mouth--especially backstage with Keb' Mo' :-)  I see this being definitely something that he's got to feel the crowd out with or else he'll wind up with some crazies all over him, ugh...Fun memory for you (and fantastic illustrations)!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter