Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1

Anybody else?

what's your story Sir? 

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
lemurgrl

Reply with quote  #24 
Well, I'll be outing myself as a newbie fan, but it was "The Sweetest Thing" for me. I can't remember where the hell I heard it... on TV, maybe? I just remember getting online to try to look it up , but getting annoyed because all I kept getting were links to that awful Cameron Diaz movie.

(Yay, I finally had a reason to use the computer smiley, even though it was a dumb one!)
modifab

Reply with quote  #25 
LOL! I almost replied with my intro to the band and thought.... hmm.. This thread seems familiar...  turns out I already told my story...

Sunny I love yours!! I can just imagine ya hollerin at Greg that day whistlin while ya work...

Reply with quote  #26 

It was back in 2002, I used to work for an art gallery here in St Pete. A good buddy of mine, acclaimed Flrida landscape artist Peter Pettigrew, stopped by and said he had somthing I had to hear. We went out and sat in his car, and he played Florida for me. I remember reading the lyrics as the song was playing and being totally blown away. Saw them the following weekend at Skippers and been hooked ever since.

Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine
Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1

Anybody else?

what's your story Sir? 

Yeah loverboy... WHat IZZZ ya story?

Admin
Reply with quote  #28 
Yeah this was too good a thread to be stuck back in the vault. I was poking around last night and came across it.

My story is 2003 at the annual Tropical Heat Wave festival in Ybor City. Me and my trophy wife were kind of bouncing around--they had like 6 or 8 stages in various places with 20 or so bands over the night. We were going from one stage area to another and in between was a stage with Mofro on it. We heard it and both looked at each other and said let's go check that out. We listened to a song or two and were quite taken but had our sights set on the other band we were on our way to see. So off we went--I don't even remember who it was--and listened to a couple songs and both said let's go back and see that Mofro band.

Well, as I recall, when we got back there they were doing Florida. I was stunned, absolutely frozen in my tracks (I literally got goose bumps up the back of my neck as I write this.) Here I am a 5th generation Floridian hearing someone singing so passionately about my state. That did it for me. They only had a couple songs left, Ho Cake is the other I distinctively remember.  Well that and JJ sitting down in a rocking chair, along with Daryl. I know there was an organ and drums too but I couldn't tell you who they were. I do distinctly remember marching straight to the merch table when they were thru and bought Blackwater and it didn't leave my CD player in the car for so long that I had to pry it out with needlenose plarrs.
FireFly

Mofrofans.com Interplanetary

Ambassador

Reply with quote  #29 
You had to use needlenose pliers , eh? Too funny!

Well back on my planet when I was send out to earth to investigate about a 'Mofro '......

But for real....Mine was that my coworker was going to skippers and she knew I liked live music , she ask if I want to come along. I had no idea of the band or music but she was talking about in so passionately so I didn't think it would suck.
We rode in 2 cars so I couldn't hear that they wear listening to lochloosa album but when we piled into her convertible on the way to skipps she kept hitting repeat on lochloosa , it was funny cuz her boyfriend wanted to listen to another song but she kept climbing forward and hitting the repeat button.
( after the show she also used some guys to get to the poster outside , it hung way up but she got it, wonder if she still has it..)

( funny quotes from rombello )
3nail

Reply with quote  #30 
My husband & I were going to see Shooter Jennings in Lexington in the Fall of 2009, & his co-worker gave him the Lochloosa CD so we could listen to the opening band. I put it in & set it to Lochloosa since that was the name of the CD. I was instantly hooked! JJ absolutely blew Shooter away. There was no comparison in talent. We've been to see the boys every chance we've gotten since that night. Lochloosa remains my favorite song & fave CD, but it's a close damn call. Every song on every CD is ahhh-maaaazing!!!!
DABoccio

Reply with quote  #31 
Hi, my name is Dave and I'm a Mofroholic.

A friend of mine talked me into going to Mountain Jam in Hunter Mountain, NY in 2008.  I wasn't the festival going type at the time but a couple of months before we were supposed to go I decided to go through the list of bands that would be playing and listen to some of it just so I was familiar and see which ones I liked.  When I got around to listening to JJ Grey & Mofro I couldn't wait to go to the festival.  I believe War was the first song but it's a blur because I listened to every song I could soon after that.

Reply with quote  #32 

Is there a list somewhere of where songs have appeared in the media? I poked around some, but didn't find one. Since I posted in this thread before, I've been trying to remember where I first heard "The Sweetest Thing," I'm drawing a blank, and it's drivin' me NUUUUTS! 

zcreative

Reply with quote  #33 
I'm not quite sure but I think it was dirtfloorcracker. I know the first album was Lochloosa but dirtfloor and six ways were the main ones I remember playing over and over. It was a long time ago but I'm pretty sure the first time I heard of Mofro was out on a flats boat fishing for snook and reds in Flamingo with my friend Matt. That album was on a lot in those days and we fished the glades many times. I love the memory of first hearing them while I was deep in the south Florida nature. Shortly after that I saw them live for the first time and when I heard everyone belt out Lockloosa it blew my fucking mind. (still does every time too) Felt right at home, been there ever since.
lazyep

Reply with quote  #34 
I remember the first time I heard Mofro I was NOT a fan. I had just finished the 8th 15 hour work day in a row and I was exhausted. My boyfriend at the time was at a concert I couldn't go to because I was working so when I finally got off I headed over to his house to meet him there for the night. He and I both keep music playing to sleep to and as he had just come from the Mofro concert (his first intro to the boys) at the Culture Room (2009) he put Country Ghetto on loop. I  kept waking up to this funky music that wouldn't let me sleep and he and I were on the rocks so I was just plain pissed. We broke up the next week and I wanted nothing to do with him or Mofro afterwards.

A few months later a mutual friend, and fellow live music buff, that had attended the concert with the ex gave me a few CD's that she thought I'd enjoy. I kept returning to the Lochloosa album because I knew there was something special about it but I just wasn't "getting it" and I knew that I was letting my previous experience color my opinions.

Then one day, on a beautiful thick summer Florida morning I was driving down the road in my old black California car that had no A/C. It was 100 degrees at 8am and what had to be 110% humidity. I was headed to a dive so I was in my bikini, windows down, wet with sweat and water bottle in hand to replenish. Suddenly there's a red light in front of me and with dread I knew what little breeze there was from the windows was going to end and I was going to bake miserably for the next 5 minuets until the light changed again. And then this soulful voice cut through my thoughts with "I swear it's 10,000 degrees in the shade, lord mercy knows, how much I love it" and it was as if he was singing my exact thoughts and emotions and I was living every moment of that song with him. Next thing I know I've got cars honking at me as the light has changed and I'm still lost in the grief of loosing Lochloosa.

That was the first Mofro song that I really heard
swkelley

Alumni/Assoc Professor
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #35 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modifab
LOL! I almost replied with my intro to the band and thought.... hmm.. This thread seems familiar...  turns out I already told my story...

Sunny I love yours!! I can just imagine ya hollerin at Greg that day whistlin while ya work...

HEH HEH.....I almost did the same thing, modifab.  Luckily, I decided to read all the posts first and saw my original one.  Hard to believe I've been seeing this band for almost 10 years now....seems like just yesterday.

Reply with quote  #36 
So here it was... the big 2002, smack dab in the middle of the woods. pinening for a good tune when i was handed this CD titled Black Water. I was told "you gotta listen to this band MOFRO they are "freakin awesome" and i need to blast that shit. So there i was, beer in hand... moon setting the woods aglow...and the cd player spinning some of the most soul inspiring, gut wrenching, amazing voice & heartfelt music i've ever heard. It was love at first note!! I was hooked!! and here i am now 10 years later, and still loving every single note these guys produce. Doing what it takes to make every concert i can and be a thru and thru fan of this music and the band "guy" that created it!!
Can't really express to ya what it means to listen to this music!! but it makes me so happy i sometimes cry!!

but Brighter Days was my first listen.
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #37 

I swears I get goosebumps listening to y'alls stories, I just love it!!

keep em a coming!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter