Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
soulsurvivor

Reply with quote  #21 
Everyone that likes Mofro should check out Screamin Cheetah Wheelies album Magnolia.  My brother-in-law introduced me to them years ago.  AWESOME

ares77

Reply with quote  #22 

I'm allways diggin on some Charlie Hunter(Trio, Duo, whatever).  Right now I'm into Primus Motor, Dread Clampitt, Brick Room Boys, and last but definitely not least, Tornado Rider.

ChrisCornell

Reply with quote  #23 
Just spent all day on this site yesterday downloading tons of this stuff. I know most of these bands but the ones I hadn't heard- Some amazing things. Listening to Jason Ricci, Hill Country Revue. Wow.
The band I'm into until Georgia Warhorse is Mumford & Sons. They're from the UK I think but a very Southern US feel. Check out the horns on Winter Winds from the album Sigh No More.
Also, for more of a rocker- try Big Wreck out of Canada- described as a mix of Zeppelin and Soundgarden.
AntsyAshley

Reply with quote  #24 
I love Pandora Radio. I am listening to the JJG&M station, which plays lots of other music that we would like. Anyone ever heard of Donovan Frankenreiter? I am totally grooving to this bluesy soul music, and I think I need to buy a CD! Check em out, y'all.
lil mofro ho

Reply with quote  #25 
  I really like alot of his music too.
soulsurvivor

Reply with quote  #26 
Donavon Frankenreiter is awesome too, I agree.  My best friend's husband (who used to drum for Mofro actually) is the drummer for Donavon.  Very cool, Jack Johnson style, chill music.  Every album DF puts out make me think of summer. 

thehighcell

Reply with quote  #27 
Holy bejesus, I've got some work cut out for me after reading this thread!
A lot of things that I like have already been mentioned, so of course that means I'm fairly obligated to check out some of the other things by default.

Aside from the always liberal dose of JJ, some stuff that is in my general rotation right now  (which I think has all been mentioned already in this thread) are;

- Eric Lindell - All his stuff
- The Black Keys - Brothers
- Patrick Sweany - Every Hour Is A Dollar Gone
- Bob Schneider - Beautiful Creatures
- The new Black Crowes album
- Davy Knowles & Back Door Slam
- John Butler Trio - April Uprising
- Ray LaMontagne
- Joe Bonamassa - Black Rock

I also just discovered "Seasick Steve", and I'd say he is worth checking out for those here who aren't familiar.

Reply with quote  #28 
Does anyone think the new Tom Petty single , I Should Have Known It, sounds like the Black Keys???  
I have always liked Rob Schneider's Bullets.
ms blues box

Reply with quote  #29 
juke joint duo cedric burnside and lightin malcom

Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil mofro ho
Does anyone think the new Tom Petty single , I Should Have Known It, sounds like the Black Keys???  
I have always liked Bob Schneider's Bullets.

I hadn't heard that new Tom Petty song until now, thanks. I see what you mean, it's a little more stripped down bluesy rock than I normally associate with him. Pretty good!

Ditto on the Bob Schneider. I love that song, and I suppose I actually kind of celebrate the rest of the man's entire catalog too. He's quite the chameleon at times, but everything he does is undoubtedly him.

Reply with quote  #31 
The Black Keys
Ray Lamontagne
Ryan Bingham
Grateful Dead
Allman Brothers
The Black Crowes
Warren Haynes
Grace Potter & the Nocturnals

TN_Cracka

Reply with quote  #32 
I noticed I posted a few times on this thread, but never compiled a list. So here it goes, other than the obvious:

Drive-By Truckers - love their loyalty to vinyl and indie record stores
Jason Isbell & 400 Unit - can't get enough of the Muscle Shoals sound
Justin Townes Earle - Harlem River Blues is fantastic
Dirty Guv'nahs - the lead singer has to be Chris Robinson's long lost brother
Old Crow Medicine Show
Band of Heathens
Ben Harper with Innocent Criminals or Relentless 7
The Band - firmly convinced The Last Waltz changed my life
Neil Young - There are 2 types of people in this world, those that like Neil Young, and everyone else.

Reply with quote  #33 
Less of "what I am into" list and more of a "Who Have I Seen in the Last Year/Seeing in the Next Month or so that come to mind" (other than Mofro) list
Rev Peyton's Big Damn Band
Foxy Shazam
The Hold Steady
Casiotone for the Painfully Alone
Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings
They Might Be Giants
Jonathan Richman
Bad Rabbits
Black Lips
Bishop Allen
Black Joe Lewis
Cheap Girls (seeing them tonight actually)
Drive By Truckers (next week!)
Tokyo Police Club/Twin Door Cinema Club/Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin (actually the line up at a show coming up and like all 3)
Little Dragon (the night after that)
Avett Brothers (they are coming back in March!)
(and a ton more)
AntsyAshley

Reply with quote  #34 
Damn Gary, you're a regular music freak!
clauderainsrm

Reply with quote  #35 
I'm more of just a general freak.

I would *love* to see Rev Peyton open for Mofro at some point. I know Breezy (washboard player and the Rev's wife) is a Mofro fan on fb! But I don't know if they have ever talked about coordinating tour schedules.

edit to add: Also on my "playing with Mofro wishlist": Black Joe Lewis, Aloe Blacc,  Fruit Bats and the Hackensaw Boys. 

UTdesertdog

Reply with quote  #36 
Heh, since I ordered all 5 of JJG&M's CDs in December, I haven't listened to anything else.  I (used to) listen to Clapton, CCR, Tracy Chapman, Van Morrison... I listen to the local oldies station, it's decent, from 60's through 80's.

It's gonna take me WEEKS to check out all these bands in this thread!  pulled up Soulhound and listenin to it now, not bad. I've heard a little of Ben Harper, George Thorogood, Govt Mule is pretty good. Can't think of any more offhand.

It's gonna be tough to find one that beats JJ Grey...

milesgone

Reply with quote  #37 
I really like Daryls new album.   Just got it..    amazing to me the sound is so similiar.
anyway.  two thumbs up.

bobbyw24

Reply with quote  #38 

Lucero

Like this blogger, I learned of them via The Gaslight Anthem

LUCERO. WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE.

My introduction to Lucero was via The Gaslight Anthem's live cover of "The War", which they did on their 2010 American Slang tour. They brought out Tim Barry (who opened on a bunch of dates) to help sing the song and did an amazing job. It had very powerful lyrics that made me want to further check Lucero out, but as is usually the case with me (even with my early interest in Gaslight who have now basically become part of my bloodstream), I made a mental note to check them out, but then proceeded to drop the ball, getting distracted by other bands and life events. I still haven't checked out all of Alkaline Trio's stuff and have been meaning to for years.

Anyway, when I saw Lucero was on the bill for Warped Tour 2011, I made a point of going to see their set when I covered the Long Island date. I couldn't believe they were on a festival that included Black Veil Brides, Less Than Jake, Paramore and A Day To Remember. But I guess I'm a shining example of why- if I hadn't seen them there, I may not have been inclined to go see them on their own when they came back through town. So surely new fans were made on that tour besides me, proving the idea of playing Warped to be a good one.

By then I was a big fan of "Hey Darlin' Do You Gamble" from seeing it on YouTube during a quick search of their stuff. I was won over by the lyrics and rich Southern sound. But that, and "The War", were the only songs I knew. Of course stupid Long Island Saturday morning traffic caused me to be late to that concert, effectively making me miss half of Lucero's all too short set that afternoon. But I walked away so impressed from the little I saw, that I decided I would have to check out a full show of theirs sometime.

Soon they announced a string of dates for a short little Winter tour at the end of 2011 and I got a ticket for the Brooklyn Bowl date. I knew they were playing the next night, New Year's Eve, in Boston. I considered going to that show too, but if I'm being honest, I was scared by the idea of going into Boston and dealing with massive public drunkenness along with the dumb parking situation in that town ($35 in cash to park at a show at House of Blues. BOOO!) So I got my Brooklyn ticket, arranged for a photo pass, and looked forward to the Bowl show.

Now, I knew they were going to be good live, but overall I had no idea what to expect. I only saw slower numbers at Warped, so I didn't see what happens to the room when they rock out. They were totally amazing. Lucero is not like other bands I listen to, in that I don't listen to anything remotely Country-ish unless you include Chuck Ragan's acoustic stuff. By "Country" I mean that down n' dirty outlaw/roadhouse stuff. Not sappy pop called "Country" just because the person has a Southern accent. In short, Lucero scratched an itch I didn't know I had. When I heard Tennessee and 1372 Overton Park I was like "Well. I have been missing OUT." To hear it all live and see the effect their music had on a crowd was pretty interesting. It was like a scene out of a movie or something, such as the "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" scene from "Great Balls of Fire".

More:

http://life-from-the-front-row.blogspot.com/2012/05/lucero.html

Dispatch Ninja

Reply with quote  #39 
Can't wait for the heavy's new album

Gritsinmyteeth

Reply with quote  #40 
Scoot Pittman - Funky, Soulful, Good Food, Front Porch, Back Porch, Fishing, Mama's Cookin'
Fried Chicken Cornbread Collard Greens and Fatback

scootmusic.com

Scoot Pittman on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Scoot-Pittman/30774268217?ref=ts

Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/scootpittmantv
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter