Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 10      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   Next   »
FireFly

Mofrofans.com Interplanetary

Ambassador

Reply with quote  #61 

after march 19th I'm gonna be listening to a cedric burnside project album cuz I heard some raw tracks and its S I C K !!!

( funny quotes from rombello )
modifab

Reply with quote  #62 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly

after march 19th I'm gonna be listening to a cedric burnside project album cuz I heard some raw tracks and its S I C K !!!

Ohh DANG!! So firefly... Project album? Is he still workin with Malcomb in the mix too or somethin completely new all together?

Can't wait to hear more on this!! Thx!

Reply with quote  #63 

Todd Snider - Storyteller

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #64 
Quote:
Originally Posted by giggles

Robert Plant & the Band of Joy........ as a matter of fact I am supposed to see him tonight at the Tower Theatre but with the way the snow is falling and is expected to keep falling, I'm not feeling confident that the concert will actually go on as planned 

+1000000

Love me some Robert Plant... 

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #65 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerious Tyme

+1000000

DT, the show I referenced above happened even though there was a Snow-nami happening. It was so worth braving the treacherous roads; Plant put on a GREAT show and I can die a happy woman now, I've heard Tangerine live!

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

FireFly

Ambassador

Reply with quote  #66 

all I listen to now is WWWOZ 90.7 ,nola (wwoz.org)

Delerious Tyme

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #67 
Quote:
Originally Posted by giggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerious Tyme

+1000000

DT, the show I referenced above happened even though there was a Snow-nami happening. It was so worth braving the treacherous roads; Plant put on a GREAT show and I can die a happy woman now, I've heard Tangerine live!

Nice, glad to hear it Giggles.   I've seen Robert a couple of times, once with Jimmy, once solo, and once with the Band of Joy.   Also, once solo in a restaurant all by himself... but that is another story...  I can die a happy man after all of that too.... 

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
Got Mofro

Reply with quote  #68 

Biggest Zeppelin Freek on the planet here. Dt....you saw him with JIMMY  Only seen him once W/ Robbie Blunt on guitar, Black Crowes opened....STELLAR SHOW!!

Reply with quote  #69 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Mofro

Biggest Zeppelin Freek on the planet here. Dt....you saw him with JIMMY  Only seen him once W/ Robbie Blunt on guitar, Black Crowes opened....STELLAR SHOW!!

Not the biggest fan in the world... but a fan none the less... my mother got me tickets to Page/Plant back in I think about 95ish... Very nice evening!!

And Giggz... Tangerine?!?!  One of my all time favorite tunes! By anyone!!

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #70 

I actually got to see Led Zeppelin perform at Live Aid! It wasn't one their greatest performances, but I can still say that I got to see them!

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #71 

Ur showing ur age gigs.

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #72 
Quote:
my mother got me tickets to Page/Plant back in I think about 95ish

Ur showing ur age too modifab. What, you were about 7 then??
giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #73 
I know MF1, I know! Good thing I don't act my age, huh?? I'll always be young at heart.

Like modifab, not only did my mom get me tickets to Live Aid, she took me!

modifab

Reply with quote  #74 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1
Quote:
my mother got me tickets to Page/Plant back in I think about 95ish

Ur showing ur age too modifab. What, you were about 7 then??

Jeez man!! 7? I realize I'm aging well but damnit mang! I ain't that much of a puppy... I'z bout 20/21 then...

And hey that's really cool Giggz! No booolshit... My first "rock show" was in 7th grade. The first Halloween I didn't go trick or treatin... Moms took me down to Joe Louis Arena to see the Alice Cooper show!! The dudes sittin behind us musta thought she was my sister.... They tried passin her their goods a couple times LOL! I know she wanted to...

Reply with quote  #75 

Damn!! Any y'all have Showtime on the idiot box? Just caught a killer little ditty playin this month entitled "Still Bill".

Quite the nice lil peek into the realm of Bill Withers. Catch it if ya can!!

Even wraps up with a song and dedication that certainly resonates with the likes of the realm of JJ Grey...

If ya aint got Showtime... well then, I'll bet it's out there otherwise...

It's actually on "Showcase"... part of the Showtime package I have... Lotsa good documentary's... Now they're playin one about the White family of Boone County, West Virginia... Whatta wild bunch they are! And was... Hank III's all up in da mix...

Honorary Alumni Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #76 
OK. This one will BLOW YOU AWAY.

This song was composed and played by a good friend named Max McMillan, who goes by the alias of Pastor McPurvis online.

Max was the bass player in a pretty crappy band I was in. Not his fault, he was the only real musician as you will see.

This song is called the "oddio overplay march." It is a full military style march  - first stanza, second stanza, waltz, dogfight, reprise. It was written for a full symphonic band. But Max played the entire song WITH HIS TUBA. He broke it apart, put it together in various ways to make different sounds. Recorded percussion by synthesizing the keys being depressed hard, or hitting the bell with a part of the tube, or hanging parts from the rafters with twine and adding or taking parts away to change the pitch.
So, with no further delay, I give you:
http://www.oddiooverplay.com/comp/12_-_Pastor_McPurvis.mp3

If that made you smile, check out his website, http://vinylorphanage.com/. Max would be considered a "vinyl hoarder." He sifts through his voluminous collection and reports on various odd records from years gone by. Peruse his site, look at the archives, and have fun.

Mental chemical/alchemy is highly recommended.

Reply with quote  #77 
OK, the "oddio overplay march" was pretty freakin' cool.    I tried to find it on the Vinyl Orphanage site last night after you told me about Pastor McPurvis but couldn't find a link to the march.    I didn't realize that he is local to Lake Worth - does he have a storefront?

FYI, the link doesn't work, BUT the url is correct.    Just do a copy & paste.

tox

Honorary Alumni Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #78 
Thanks Dave. Which link, the song or the orphanage? If it's the song, you can hear it here http://www.oddiooverplay.com/comp/index.html, it's song #12 I think.

He doesn't have a storefront, it's a hobby. He works for the public library system, and is in charge of selecting the music that goes into the system. Unfortunately, he has vendors he has to work with so he can't just pick out JJ&M or other music that has substance. At least that's how it was a few years ago, I don't bring it up anymore because it makes me ill.

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #79 

I saw Marc Broussard on Monday night and have been listening to him constantly since then!

I would love to see MOFRO & Marc Broussard on a double bill!

FireFly

Ambassador

Reply with quote  #80 
the only thing I have been listening to is WWOZ.
when ya in nawlins, you cut off from the rest of the mainstream BS of the world, cuZ nuttin matters(trust me cuz I lived there, asheville might get close, denver...maybe),
the brass band that plays for spare change at the streetscar stop on my way home has more goin on than any million$$earning mothafocka on the TV

WWOZ.ORG  !!! listen live!!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter