Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment   Page 9 of 10     «   Prev   6   7   8   9   10   Next
SoFlaDave

Reply with quote  #161 
Currently listening to the following VINYL albums:

The Sugarman 3 (What The World Needs Now) - with Adam Scone

Lightnin' Slim (Rooster Blues)

A Tribute to Syd Barrett (Beyond The Wildwood)

James Brown - At the Organ (Handful of Soul)

Chuck Prophet (Temple Beautiful)
Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #162 
This week:
Duke Robillard - Guitar Groove-a-Rama: founding member of Roomful of Blues, fluent in a variety of styles

Hubert Sumlin - Wake Up Call

Terry Quiett Band - Just My Luck
Harper - Stand Together:  These 2 are on the bill with JJG&M Saturday at Prairie Dog Blues Fest

Ronnie Earl - Live in Europe:  One of my favorite guitarists.  He's got Bruce Katz on keyboards in this version of his band.

Big Head Todd and the Monsters - Sister Sweetly

Joanne Shaw Taylor - White Sugar:  Probably my favorite of the young gunslingers

Reply with quote  #163 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Moore

Ronnie Earl - Live in Europe:  One of my favorite guitarists.  He's got Bruce Katz on keyboards in this version of his band.

Love Ronnie - I first saw him live around 1988 and he's been one of my favorite guitar players evah since.   Probably seen him 10-12 times, mostly in little seedy smokey dives.
TN_Cracka

Reply with quote  #164 
James McMurtry - Live in Aught-Three

Reply with quote  #165 

The xx - x

Can't wait for their new album coming in september.
bacchus

Reply with quote  #166 
The new Shovels and Rope cd and Joe Walsh - I.L.B.T.s.
Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #167 
Tinsley Ellis - Highwayman Live
Walter Trout - Live at the Tampa Bay Blues Fest

With Joe Bonnamassa out doing the theaters for $85 a ticket, these two are widely regarded as the top two guitarslingers amongst the regulars on the blues festival circuit.  Incredibly, they appeared back to back Sunday at the Bayfront Blues Festival in Duluth, MN.

Reply with quote  #168 
Got this in yesterday. Great album.

Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #169 

This weekend:

Curtis Salgado - Soul Shot
I wouldn't be surprised if, at the least, this album earns Grammy and Blues Music Award nominations for best album of 2012.  Curtis has been doing his rhythm-and-bluesy stuff in the Pacific Northwest for over 20 years.  I guess you could call it Rainy Days and Lattes Soul.  After seven albums, the last four on Shananchie, this is his Alligator Records debut.  He's assembled a full complement of top-notch studio musicians, with horns and backup singers.  Make no mistake, however, the star of this show is Curtis, with his soulful voice and harp playing.  Dude got pipes.  Two songs on this disc, George Clinton's Gettin' to Know You and an original He Plays His Harmonica, are the best Stevie Wonder-kinda songs I've heard since Stevie Wonder quit doing 'em to pursue his (not so) secret life with plants.  Nice mix of originals and covers on this album, which includes interpretations of Johnny Guitar Watson's Strung Out and Otis Redding's Love Man.

Greyboy Allstars - What Happened to Television
Not sure if this is jazzed up funk or funked up jazz, but no matter, nice groove to this album.  The Allstars include Karl Denson and Robert Walter, who will be on the upcoming Jamcruise.

Reply with quote  #170 
Listening to 3 Awesome Vinyls picked up at a record show yesterday:

Maggot Brain (Funkadelic) (Westwood Records - 1971) If you've never heard the Eddie Hazel guitar solo you really need to check it out

Cuttin' Up (The Johnny Otis Show) (Epic Records - 1970) Includes the R&B classic "Watts Breakaway".   Johnny Otis was also a member of Snatch & the Poontangs who recorded "The Great Stack A Lee" which as we all know has been covered by JJ & the boys

The Best of, Vol. 2 (Wilson Pickett) (Atlantic Records - 1971)  Includes the classic song "Hey Joe" which it has been told that JJ has actually covered (though to my knowledge it was only in front of a handful of people)
Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #171 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaDave
Listening to 3 Awesome Vinyls picked up at a record show yesterday:

Maggot Brain (Funkadelic) (Westwood Records - 1971) If you've never heard the Eddie Hazel guitar solo you really need to check it out

Cuttin' Up (The Johnny Otis Show) (Epic Records - 1970) Includes the R&B classic "Watts Breakaway".   Johnny Otis was also a member of Snatch & the Poontangs who recorded "The Great Stack A Lee" which as we all know has been covered by JJ & the boys

The Best of, Vol. 2 (Wilson Pickett) (Atlantic Records - 1971)  Includes the classic song "Hey Joe" which it has been told that JJ has actually covered (though to my knowledge it was only in front of a handful of people)

And I believe Best of Vol 2 also includes the Hey Jude cover with some of the early beastyness that made Duane Allman famous.  It was the guitar solos and horns in the coda that powerfully came to mind the first time I heard Lochloosa live.  Still burns holes through me shoes. 

Amen on Maggot Brain. 

Reply with quote  #172 
Just saw  Unknown Hinson  this past Saturday night at The Bamboo Room in Lake Worth, FL.   Might not be everybody's thing (country western psychobilly blues) but WOW was he ever good.
Got Mofro

Reply with quote  #173 
Blackberry Smoke.

Best new music I've found in quite some time.

Reply with quote  #174 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Mofro
Blackberry Smoke.

Best new music I've found in quite some time.

Nice call, GotMo.  Put Little Piece of Dixie in the car player en route to a Springsteen show last night, ended up getting 3 full plays.

You might like The Steepwater Band.  They preceeded JJG&M at the Prairie Dog Fest this past July.  Southern rock as performed by midwesterners.

Yep, looking forward to meeting up in Deland.

Mofrofans.com Interplanetary

Ambassador

Reply with quote  #175 
After jamcruise i have been griiving out to Nicky bluhm and the gamblers and they are at the house of blues the parish here in Nola tomorrow night

( funny quotes from rombello )
AntsyAshley

Reply with quote  #176 
Ute took me to the Nicki Bluhm show -- and we were floored! Fantastic voice, amazing presence, and tight band! Not to forget her amazing opening act -- Seth Walker -- gorgeous man with great lyrics and guitar playing. Don't miss either of these shows if you can help it!
SoFlaDave

Reply with quote  #177 
Just pulled out my old Zombies vinyl in honor of their tour which just kicked off in Montreal.    One of my favorite bands EVER.

Colin Blunstone and Rod Argent are both in the current lineup.

Check their schedule for limited shows in the United States.
meandmyfriend

Reply with quote  #178 
I can't get enough of this Greyhounds song..."what's on your mind"
ICBC-UK

Reply with quote  #179 
Hi All.  I've really enjoyed reading this very long topic - highly eductional.  When I have got some spare time I intend to apply some serious thought to composing a response this topis deserves!  But that will be another time.  However, I just had to stick this quicky up 'cause when I stumbled across this band it just blew me away.  I've seen at least one reference to JP Soars on the website somewhere, but nothing about his recent-ish colabaration with Damon Fowler and Victor Wainright.  They call themselves Southern Hospitality - and I think Y'all might like them (you will just have to accept my sincere apologies if your fellow Mofrovian from the UK seems to be trying to teach your Grandma to suck eggs!) 

P.S - Hope the videos work - never tried posting b4

Reply with quote  #180 
Nice call, ICBC.  Really like Southern Hosp.  They hit quite a few blues festivals, the blues cruises and a ton of club dates in Fla.  I've been a Damon Fowler fan for many years, so got to Southern Hosp. from there.  I believe Damon is from the Tampa/St Pete area, not sure about the others, but assumed somewhere in Florida.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter