Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
Bad Habit

Traveling Ambassador of Goodwill
Reply with quote  #1 

What a difference a year makes…

This past show (St. Augustine 04/16/11) was extra special for me as it marked the one-year anniversary since I first experienced this magic we call MOFRO (Wanee 04/16/10).  I stumbled upon JJ Grey & Mofro on “accident” via the iTunes “Listeners Also Bought” section.  I’d love to borrow Sunshine’s expression in which she says the band found her – my sentiment exactly.  I love all kinds of music and collaborations and was intrigued by the title “Country Ghetto”.  My initial thought was that it would be some kind of combo of country and rap/hip-hop – boy was I wrong!  It only took listening to a couple of the preview/samples before I was hooked and immediately downloaded the entire album.  My parents are HUGE music fans and I remember thinking I couldn’t wait to tell them about this “great new band”.  The next day I spoke to my mother on the phone and she says, “Mofro?  Yeah, Daddy’s been following them for years now.”  She then proceeds to tell me all about JJ, Jacksonville, and his connection to Derek Trucks.  Geez!  Where the hell have I been?!?  I asked when they’d be coming back to the Florida Theatre and she wasn’t sure.  I looked them up and found the closest venue was in Live Oak, FL at “some festival called Wanee or something weird.”  I had never heard of Wanee but looked it up, saw the incredible lineup, and bought tickets on the spot.  The rest, as they say, is history.

From “Ybor City” at Wanee ‘10 to “On Fire” in St. Augustine ’11 have been some of the most incredible experiences I’ve had.  I feel blessed to have found mofrofans.com and glad I finally mustered the courage to come out of the “lurker closet” and register.  The love, respect, and passion (read obsession) I have for this group of guys is impossible for me to put into words.  Friends and family don’t quite get it - in fact, I do believe they are considering staging an intervention – but the thing I love best about y’all is that I don’t even have to attempt to explain.  You get it.  COMPLETELY.  I also can’t quite articulate this strange connection I feel with the people here – those I’ve met and those I’ve yet to meet - (aw, hell, tryin’ not to get all gushy here) who are all incredibly kind, friendly, and accepting.  I felt it when reading your posts to each other, but to actually SEE it on Saturday was really something else.  There was this one moment that I wish I could have somehow captured where I was sitting on a blanket a few rows up from the crew (chatting with some other newfound friends that I had met at the Atlanta show) and turned around to see lots of you back there introducing family members, smiling, hugging, laughing, etc.  There was a palpable energy in the air (or maybe there was something in that BBQ sauce – whatever).  Anyway, thanks for the memories, and I can’t wait for the ones that have yet to be made.

With Mofro love,

Bad Habit

Here are some of my stats from the past year:

shows attended:  12 (thirteen if counting Charlotte)

shows in 2010 = 5

shows in 2011 = 8

states traveled: 5 (FL, GA, NC, SC, TN)

miles driven:  6,080

songs played: 202

most often played:  The Sweetest Thing (11),  Orange Blossoms and Hide & Seek (10), Georgia Warhorse, Lochloosa, and On Fire (9)

least often played: wow – there are actually 20 songs I’ve never experienced live!

new friends:  36

newbies/virgins introduced:  10

pictures taken:  944 (nearly one third of those just from the 4/7 Orlando show

new bands discovered (openers): 8

04/16/10 – Wanee – Live Oak, FL

10/21/10 – Visulite Theater – Charlotte, NC

10/29/10 – Ritz Ybor – Tampa, FL

12/30/10 – Freebird Live – Jacksonville, FL

12/31/10 – Freebird Live – Jacksonville, FL

01/01/11 – Freebird Live – Jacksonville, FL

01/16/11 – Skippers – Tampa, FL

01/22/11 – Variety Playhouse – Atlanta, GA

02/18/11 – Bamboo Room – Lake Worth, FL

03/19/11 – 5 Points St. Pat’s – Columbia, SC

03/26/11 – 3rd & Lindsley – Nashville, TN

04/07/11 – FMF – Orlando, FL

04/16/11 – Rhythm & Ribs – St. Augustine, FL

future planned shows: (fingers crossed)

05/20/11:  Windjammer – Isle of Palms, SC

05/21/11:  Windjammer – Isle of Palms, SC

05/25/11:  Bamboo Room – Lake Worth, FL

05/26/11:  Bamboo Room – Lake Worth, FL

05/27/11:  Bamboo Room – Lake Worth, FL

06/17/11:  Riverbend Festival – Chattanooga, TN

09/29/11:  Rombello Cruise – Cozumel Mexico

ps – before the St. Augustine show I was looking through some old concert pictures and found this one from the MofroFans1 Flicker album.  I was at Wanee and standing only one person away from the lovely ladies TW and where u at – didn’t meet them until almost a year later

Attached Images
Name: Wanee-1.jpg, Views: 35, Size: 241.44 KB

tox

Honorary Alumni Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #2 

This gets my vote for post of the year. Well done.

Traveling Ambassador of Goodwill
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tox

This gets my vote for post of the year. Well done.

Aw, thanks  It was great to meet your beautiful wife and children - what a great venue!
giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #4 

LVE, LVE, LVE this post! But I most especially love the quote below!

↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Habit

“Mofro?  Yeah, Daddy’s been following them for years now.” 

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

lil mofro ho

Reply with quote  #5 
Hey Bad Habit love your post.  I am in that picture from Wanee (to the left of Liz and back) but you can't see me cause I am too short, so I guess I'm not really in it!  I so wish they had played there again this year but they seem to do the every other year thing with Wanee.  I missed you by a day at Skippers, I flew in for the 1/15 show and had to leave the next day. Hopefully we will be able to meet someday!
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #6 

amazing Bad Habit!!  I just wish I woulda kept a record of awl those tyoes of stats, bummar.  I love love love your enthusiasum!!!!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
squidjuice12

Reply with quote  #7 
Man I wish I had JJ touring up here, i'd hop on board with ya and go for the ride. lucky you!!
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #8 
Wow Bad Habit I love your post! Some very cool things you said. Yep we all get it for sure!

You even have miles driven? You're way more organized than me. I'm gonna have to keep an eye on you or you'll catch up with me on number of shows per year!
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #9 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidjuice12
Man I wish I had JJ touring up here, i'd hop on board with ya and go for the ride. lucky you!!

How far r you from Greenfield Mass squid? They're there on July 17. I don't know what part of CT you're in but considering the state's only about as big as a barge you can't be all that far. (At least it's bigger than Rhode Island. Hell, most vehicles are larger than Rhode Island.)

UtopianMamma

Reply with quote  #10 
Just found my copy of Alma Zuma that I got at a show in Jacksonville in 95ish. Super Happy!!

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #11 

Welcome utopianMamma!!!!!!!!

from your first post it is obvious you are a

looong time Mofro fan and will fit in perfectly here!!!

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #12 

Hey UtopianMamma, welcome. If you have a copy of Alma Zuma then I second what sunny said. Very few people have a copy of that. Hope to see ya around here often!

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1

Hey UtopianMamma, welcome. If you have a copy of Alma Zuma then I second what sunny said. Very few people have a copy of that. Hope to see ya around here often!

I have a copy (thank you - and you know who you are ),

but it is still in the cellophane wrap and I intend to keep it that way!

UtopianMamma

Reply with quote  #14 
Thanks for the welcomes. Easy on the "LOOOONG" Sunshine . I love that album. I listened to it often when I was living in Jacksonville, prior to the responsibilities of "adulthood" ~ fond memories of carefree ~ dom. I just uncovered it like a relic from my past in an old cd case. Feel super blessed to have found it. I had seen Mofro during several shows here and there through the years. Some pretty random , like the fair. Looking forward to catching a show soon.
UtopianMamma

Reply with quote  #15 
@ Mofro Fan1

If? kinda weird.

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #16 

UtopianMamma I think we bumped into one of those situations where written communication doesn't have the same inflection as the spoken. My "If" wasn't meant as a question. It was just a logic comment "if this...then that." It was never my intention to question whether or not you Alma Zuma. My apologies if my statetment seemed kinda weird.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter