Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
slick814

Reply with quote  #1 
Another family recipe for the deer meat....

The big trick with wild game is to cook it on high heat for short periods or low heat for long. You can't cook it like beef or it gets dry... not enough fat.

Venison tenderloin/backstraps

Ingredients:

1 nice cut of tenderloin or backstrap (a nice solid 8 - 12" long is perfect - be sure to remove all fat & silver skin)

Olive Oil

2 TBSP butter

1 Cup Red Wine (I like a nice Merlot or Pinot Noir - you can have a glass while cooking that way )

1/8 Cup Worcestershire sauce

Oregano - fresh is best, dry works fine.

Salt & pepper to taste

Garlic (1 small pressed clove fresh is nice, but 1/2 tsp. of  powder will work)

Other spices you may enjoy...

Day before – soak meat covered in milk for 8 – 24 hours. This will tenderize and remove some of the gaminess without removing flavor.

Cooking:

Pre-heat oven to 350

Remove meat from milk and pat dry with cloth or paper towel

Cover meat with garlic, and spices. Rub them in some.

Heat olive oil & butter in skillet (cast iron works best) until butter is melted completly and the pan is hot enough to sear the meat when it gets put in.

Add meat to skillet. Cook on one side until it is brown, then turn over and repeat (1 - 2 minutes per side is normally plenty of time)

When both sides are browned, pour a mix of 1 Cup wine and 1/8 Cup of Worcester sauce over the top of the meat. It'll steam a bit, but smells so good you won't mind.

Loosely cover pan  with foil and put in oven for 30 minutes. This is why cast iron is best for this recipe...

After 30 minutes, remove pan from oven, let sit for 5 – 10 minutes. Slice and serve.  There should be a bit of pink in the center, depending on the diameter of the tenderloin or backstrap. The bigger it is, the pinker it'll be, but even a small one will still be juicy.

This one is sure to please.... I've had people not believe that it wasn't beef...

All that is
All that will be
All we have is each other
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #2 

mmmmm, now that sounds tastey! 

just wish I had a backstrap butcher near by,

heck any butcher within 50 miles would be nice lol!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
slick814

Reply with quote  #3 
Well.... there are places you can order it flown in to ya.  Either that or give Gregg & the boys some guns (or bows & arrows...my personal favorite way to hunt) and tell 'em to go get you some venison!
Honestly, Sunny, there is a place in Hudson, WI that sells "exotic" meats over the web. I'm close enough to drive to them, and have tried the reindeer/caribou, elk, antelope & moose. All were good cuts.

check out http://www.venisonamerica.com   that's the place.  Just click on the "Bg Game" for deer & such. I highly recommendhe elk to anyone. It's awesome stuff!

They also have things like gator, crocodile, python, rattlesnake (lightly floured and fried in butter.... like calamari without the tentacles), ostrich, kangaroo and turtle too.... if you'reinto that sort of thing...

All that is
All that will be
All we have is each other
Sammigrrrl

Reply with quote  #4 
Im from Wisco originally, so venison is deer to my heart... YUMMY!!!
My fave is sausage on hot toast. Even if I stick it in a baggie and save it for later. The grease melts nto the toast. UUhhhh... oh yeah !

So one of the girls at work said her Dad and brothers got like 7 deer. When I saw him I told him he better have some sausage for me. And he did! He brought me some jalapeno chedder sausage. A friend has chickens, so he gave me 18 eggs, soooo mild. Made sausage n egg sandwiches for 2 weeks.

YUMMM!!!
Sunshine

Reply with quote  #5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammigrrrl
Im from Wisco originally, so venison is deer to my heart... YUMMY!!!
My fave is sausage on hot toast. Even if I stick it in a baggie and save it for later. The grease melts nto the toast. UUhhhh... oh yeah !

So one of the girls at work said her Dad and brothers got like 7 deer. When I saw him I told him he better have some sausage for me. And he did! He brought me some jalapeno chedder sausage. A friend has chickens, so he gave me 18 eggs, soooo mild. Made sausage n egg sandwiches for 2 weeks.

YUMMM!!!

jalapeno cheddar sausage sounds amazing!!

where bouts you from in the frozen tundra sammigrrl?  I grew up in Racine.

Sammigrrrl

Reply with quote  #6 
Weeeeelllll....
I was born in M'waukee
Raised in West Bend
Graduated in Grafton (92)

Then  joined the Army at 21.  When I came home, I was home 1 1/2yrs. Came to Arizona in 2000.

PS I used to work at Renn Faire. Tee Hee
Sunshine

Reply with quote  #7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammigrrrl
Weeeeelllll....
I was born in M'waukee
Raised in West Bend
Graduated in Grafton (92)

Then  joined the Army at 21.  When I came home, I was home 1 1/2yrs. Came to Arizona in 2000.

PS I used to work at Renn Faire. Tee Hee

wow, small small world!!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter