Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
slick814

Reply with quote  #1 

What a night!  The weather held off for the most part, but it was a bit cold outside, (which JJ mentioned in between songs at one point), but inside it was quite warm.

The Slide Brothers opened up... What else can you say but excellent... awesome? I tweeted "Like Robert Randolph with a dose of church... rockin church", and that's about as close as I can to explaining them. Since they were the onres who taught RR how to play, it makes sense. Nice guys as well. 

on to the MOFRO show -

Setlist was as follows:

Standing on the Edge

A Woman

Somebody Else

Your Lady, She's Shady

Brighter Days

Georgia Warhorse

Tame A Wild One

Sweetest Thing

Ballad of Larry Webb

Slow Hot & Sweaty

Orange Blossoms

Florabama

Ho Cake

99 Shades of Crazy

Encore -

Lochloosa

Harp & Drums

The crowd was into it from the get go. Even with the first song out of the gate being new to everyone, they were into it. 

A Woman didn't disappoint, as always, and the crowd was singing along. A lot of back and forth with JJ And Art.

Then back into the new material. I have to say I think I like Your Lady, She's Shady better than Somebody Else. Something about the groove, I guess, but either way, the band was tight, and the crowd was dancing and moving. More back and forth between JJ and Art. Way cool stuff... I love it when the band just does their thing.

Brighter Days... I have been SOOOOO fortunate that they've played this every time I've seen the boys. Live is so much better than the studio version. And the sing along at the end is always great as well

Georgia Warhorse kept everyone singing. Sorry to hear about JJ's Grandma. But I liked his reaction to the crowd's reaction. "Circle of life, man, it's all good".... I think this one has just gotten better and better over the last 2 years.

Tame A Wild One was probably the low point, if there was one. I didn't sense the energy from the band as much on it, and the crowd didn't react as much as they did with the rest of the new material. Not sure. Guess we'll see over time.

Sweetest Thing got everyone back into it. Loud and soft singing along, people grooving to the beat.
One thing about it that I thought about last night.... why not have Farrell or AC sing the parts that Toots did on the record? I think it would be kind of cool to have the back and forth with the voices. Either way, the band was into it, the crowd was into it.

Ballad of Larry Webb - I have to say that I REALLY like this song. Something about the story reminds me of people I know or knew, and I love the chorus. It being a ballad and new, the crowd was mostly quiet, but intently listening.

Big cheer went up when Slow Hot & Sweaty started. I think this has pretty much taken the place of Move It On in the setlist. Dennis played a smoking solo, and JJ just let him play on.  

OB got everyone bouncing... especially since JJ was saying "bounce bounce bounce bounce" during the chorus. Always a favorite.

Florabama got a big reaction. For a second or two I thought they were starting Jookhouse, but no, it was a new tune! Another one where there was plenty of back and forth with the band, the crowd was way into the song. I can see this becoming a long term favorite in the rotation.

Which led nicely into Ho Cake. TIme for back and forth between the horns, Trube & Farrell, AC & Todd playiong with their eyes closed, and JJ jumping in with the next verse, a guitar lick, etc.  whenever he felt the urge.

99 Shades of Crazy - solid. I can sort see what Craven More was saying in his review. I think it would be even better a little crazier, but it is still a damn good song, and live is better than CD.

The Encore... well, Lochloosa, need I say more?

Harp & Drums was tight, loose, fun, and awesome. JJ kept running behind the curtain on one side of the stage and appearing on the other. Messing with the guys a bit, just having fun. Lots of smiles all around, you can tell they're enjoying themselves.

All in all, I think this is the best show I've seen. The band just gets tighter, but at the same time, they seem looser with each other,which makes it more fun and entertaining. My daughter said that she thinks a club show is way better than a festival, so that was a good thing. And she got Farrell to pose for a quick picture after, so she was all smiles. And she also got a setlist, keeping the family streak alive. The one disappointment, if there was one, was that security kind of pushed people out the door faster than I've ever seen them. You would've thought it was an hour past last call. And JJ didn't stick around on the stage to sign things or takes pics, but I have a feeling that was a function of the venue, and not him. They seemed to be in a bit of a hurry to pack up and head out. I'll post pics once I go through them and get them posted on Flickr.

All that is
All that will be
All we have is each other
Lumberingox

Reply with quote  #2 

Sounds money.. I think my fever is rising.. Headed to beer city in 8 hrs..

Glad you enjoyed it !

Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberingox

Sounds money.. I think my fever is rising.. Headed to beer city in 8 hrs..

Glad you enjoyed it !

Hey Ox ............
do not,
I mean DO NOT take
ANYTHING for your fever dudette!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
Sunshine

Reply with quote  #4 
Slick!!!!!!!!!!!!
what a detailed review!! I loved it!!!
I love it when Our Boys get awl funniing around on stage with each other!!
Must have been pretty cool having your daughter getting a setlist, awesome!!!
can't wait for the pictures!!!!
is there such a thing as to many !!!!!!!!!!!  ??
I think NOT!!!!!!!!!!

meandmyfriend

Reply with quote  #5 
Nice review Slick! Got 2 more days for my next fix...again Sunny we'll miss ya!
Sunshine

Reply with quote  #6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandmyfriend
Nice review Slick! Got 2 more days for my next fix...again Sunny we'll miss ya!

that is very sweet of you J!! But alas .................

I am dewin the next bestest thang
we are going backpacking Sat - Sun.  just load up my pack
charge my mofro-pod, gots my boombotix lightweight speaker
just a wandering through the forests and mountains awl day
saturday, pick a spot and set up home for the evening
open my bottle of vino
start the far (as it will be 37 at night)
pull up a comfy log
put on some Mofro Tunage
and let myself get lost in their music
thinking you awl my Peeps at the Exit/In show

wake the next morning
brew some joe
pack up our packs
and start meandering homeward
should be perfect weather
highs of 65 both days
Perfect!!

meandmyfriend

Reply with quote  #7 

anyone know if we could get a glimpse of this show? Interested in seeing the stage fulla lights.

slick814

Reply with quote  #8 
I will be posting pics later on tonight

All that is
All that will be
slick814

Reply with quote  #9 
OK.. here are a few of the pics I got. None of the whole stage... not sure why I didn't this time. But you can see the lamps in the background on a few. Also, the link to the rest of them is http://www.flickr.com/photos/59718908@N08/

JJ Watching Art during Harp & Drums

Standing on the Edge....

AC & Todd. Ho Cake, I think

JJ During Lochloosa

Trube... Georgia Warhorse...

I love Rhiannon's smile in his one...

All that is
All that will be
meandmyfriend

Reply with quote  #10 
So we got the lights in Nashville too...what's up with the lights? Thanks for the pics slick.
Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #11 
Just a guess, but maybe this added "down home" ambience is a carry over from JJ's solo shows last December in the Bamboo Room.  At those, he had a little table next to him, with a lantern lamp that someone had mentioned he's had since growing up.  I think there was also an area rug for those shows. 
Not sure who/what got sacrificed to make room in the trailer for all those lamps!

I did notice in KC that the lights were dimmed or brightened during the music, but don't know if that was controlled by Chris or the house techs.  I liked the effect in KC, but perhaps additional lamps will end up being too much?

Reply with quote  #12 
Hey Craven- I noticed that the lamps brightened and dimmed as well. I think it would have to be Chris or whoever was running the lights. They were testing them out with the rest of the lights before the show. It's kind of a cool effect. Made it feel like maybe you were in someone's living room. Maybe that's the reason? gives the guys a more homey feel, like they did it in the studio or something? Who knows. It's kind of like the chicken rotisseries, dryers, etc. behind Geddy Lee at a Rush show. He does it to do something different, since he doesn't have a stack of amps behind him.  

All that is
All that will be
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter