Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #21 

Asheville is indeed a wonderful place!  We call it "the big city".  we live about 30 miles dew west.

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
d.o.e

Official Director of Excess
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1
you GOT to check out Brown Eyed Girl by Everclear. Even if u don't like the song u still ought to check it out cause u might find u like this version. And you may become an Everclear fan in the process (then you can tell me how to pronounce the frontman's last name without coughing up a loogie*.) They make a lot of noise for just 3 guys.

OMG this is SOOO fuckin wrong...on sooo many levels...
Not even the same song...a respectful cover should at least  enhance the original version... but be recognizable..this is just somebody who couldn't come up with their own damn song.
Yuk...phoooey...

JJ does covers EXACTLY how they should be done...respectfully to the original magic...but throws in little  JJ .
TBC is another band that does covers correct..

Now I need to go turn on some real music to get that shit video out of my head....
thanks Clay

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #23 
Don't hold back DOE. Tell us how you REALLY feel!

Okay, hows this...its posted on another thread but some folks may have missed it. It was shot a couple weeks ago at El Rey in Calif.

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanFROmchicago

What a cool flippin' town Ashville, NC is. 

I've been trying to get out of tampa to move up there for years and years. First it was my college, then my ex wife's career, then my career, then a divorce, then meeting my eventually to be trophy wife who was in the midst of a career change at that time 10 years ago, and now both our careers and we're too scared to make a move cause of the economy.  Soooooooo, it ain't happened. But I ain't gived up. Actually I'd like to do more like sunny and her family, live maybe 30-50 miles away on a mountain or in a nice cove. It is such a cool town. And like many native floridians we like the change of scenery and weather. Some towns up there in summer you'll see more Florida plates than NC ones.

Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Quote:

I've been trying to get out of tampa to move up there for years and years. First it was my college, then my ex wife's career, then my career, then a divorce, then meeting my eventually to be trophy wife who was in the midst of a career change at that time 10 years ago, and now both our careers and we're too scared to make a move cause of the economy.  Soooooooo, it ain't happened. But I ain't gived up. Actually I'd like to do more like sunny and her family, live maybe 30-50 miles away on a mountain or in a nice cove. It is such a cool town. And like many native floridians we like the change of scenery and weather. Some towns up there in summer you'll see more Florida plates than NC ones.

yessir, I can vouch for that one! 

it shure wood be nyce to have you and TW up here!

We-ins are friendly folk, lol!! 

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #26 
For those who may not have seen this one from a couple weeks ago in Chico, CA

Swamp Cracka

Reply with quote  #27 
Man - I leave the board for a few weeks and this happens?  Ok, guys and gals, Van Morrison is not an artist that you cover and then say "Yeah, this one's better than Van's".  It may be more soulful, more interesting, or whatever, but an original Van Morrison song is ALWAYS better than anyone making a cover of it.  JJ's version of "Tupelo Honey" is GREAT - I loved it the first time I heard it, but it will never be considered superior in my mind to the original.

I get fired up over this because a certain dandy from England (Rod Stewart) thought it a good idea to cover "Have I Told You Lately" and made a bloody mess of the song.  After that, I declared all covers of Van Morrison songs to be: 1. Treading on thin ice 2. Never to be declared better than the original 3. A artistic risk for the coverer 4.  An affront to all that is holy and 5. Just plain dumb.

Having said all of that, JJ's Tupelo is the best cover of a Van Morrison song I've ever heard......for what that's worth.  Now I need a beer and some deep breathing exercises.

Swamp Cracka

Reply with quote  #28 
Let me make this clear - I love hearing JJ's version of the song live.  I think it's great and I enjoy it very much.

The Everclear version is almost the worst thing I've ever heard in my life.  I'm not sure what was the absolute worst, but this is very very close.
giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #29 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Cracka

I get fired up over this because a certain dandy from England (Rod Stewart) thought it a good idea to cover "Have I Told You Lately" and made a bloody mess of the song.  After that, I declared all covers of Van Morrison songs to be: 1. Treading on thin ice 2. Never to be declared better than the original 3. A artistic risk for the coverer 4.  An affront to all that is holy and 5. Just plain dumb.

Even thinking about Rod Stewart's mutilation of Have I Told You Lately gets me all twisted!

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

TN_Cracka

Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Quote:

I'm right there with ya'll. Love Asheville. Looooovvvvvveeeeee Asheville. My wife loves Asheville. The people are great. The music venues are fantastic. The microbrews are second to none. If I ever leave Nashville, I'm headed to the mountains of Asheville. Can't wait to get back to the Peel, drink a nice brew from The Wedge, and catch a show at the Grey Eagle.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter