IndyMofro'er

Reply with quote  #1 
The Pageant
(St. Louis, MO) 12/31/12

Hottest Spot
A Woman
All
Brighter Days
Lochloosa (JJ played the harmonica in lieu of his guitar solo)
EGIB
Hide & Seek
Somebody Else
Dirtfloor Cracker
I've Been Loving You (full-band)
Orange Blossoms
Slow, Hot, & Sweaty
Fireflies (not on the set list!  JJ said they needed to fill 4 minutes before the New Years countdown)
Ho Cake (w/ Shawn and the keys guy from Speakeasy)

ENCORE
Sweetest Thing
On Fire

What an incredible night.  Started by having drinks with Dennis a couple hours prior to the show.  Then went inside and enjoyed a raucous show with some nice surprises in it.  The Otis Redding cover was nice.  Fireflies was a treat since it wasn't on the set.  I really enjoyed JJ busting out the harmonica for the Lochloosa solo instead of the guitar for a change.  Love both, but after 2 nights of guitar solo getting him on the harp was pretty sweet.

After the show we hung with the guys for quite some time at the bar of the hotel.  Shannon disappears and next thing I know she's coming back with JJ in tow!  She got JJ to come out and party with us.  It was sooooooooo freaking much fun.  Art, Dennis, Trube, Farrell, AC, the entire road crew came out and we all had a blast til about 3:30 AM.  JJ was an absolute hoot.  He was doing his arms up dance in the bar a couple times and he even came over and chatted me up.  It was a night for the books.

The whole weekend was amazing and it was really, really nice to finally get to talk to Jim "Craven".  I've seen him at several shows, but never had the opportunity to sit down and just chit chat and fraternize with him.   Jim, you're a real class act and Debbie is a real sweetheart.  Can't wait to do it again in 2013.
IndyMofro'er

Reply with quote  #2 

Me and JJ at the bar.

Mr. Memphis and Farrell

Shannon on the bus getting JJ to come out with us
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #3 
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!
sounds like it is indeed one for the books!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
swkelley

Alumni/Assoc Professor
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #4 
Looks like an awfully short and average show for a New Years gig.  How long did it last?  Sounds like the real fun began after the concert though.

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swkelley
Looks like an awfully short and average show for a New Years gig.  How long did it last?  Sounds like the real fun began after the concert though.

I think they came on around 10:35 P or thereabouts.  They played a really long Ho Cake with the guys from Speakeasy joining in.  On Fire they played around with the opening to it and then played awhile at the end of it.  So the show probably ran til 12:30.

In terms of song selection, it was pretty much a a stock set of songs played the 5 show run.  The crowd interaction was decent, but it's an all ages club and there were TONS of underage drunk kids in the place.  I definitely think the band picks up on that of thing.  You'd have people up front yelling for Lochloosa when they'd played it 4 songs prior.

I was told they aren't going to play much more of the new album until it is released.  They want to combat tapers getting it out there before the album has a chance to be official put out.  Additionally, I was told the album was taped live with everyone all at once.  It wasn't done part by part with the vocals at the end.  Harp & Drums is 100% on it.  They played it everyday, and everyone has a solo on it.  This stuff may already be known, so apologies if it's out there!
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMofro'er
 Additionally, I was told the album was taped live with everyone all at once.  It wasn't done part by part with the vocals at the end.   They played it everyday, and everyone has a solo on it.  This stuff may already be known, so apologies if it's out there!

I am sooooo looking forward to this new record!
and how cool that Harps n Drums is on it,
that song just brought the house down Friday in Atlanta!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
IndyMofro'er

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine
I am sooooo looking forward to this new record!
and how cool that Harps n Drums is on it,
that song just brought the house down Friday in Atlanta!!

At the Louisville show JJ started playing the harmonica for the last song of the encore and I SWORE it was H&D.  It turned out to be Jr.  Then in Indy he did the same thing to close the main set, but broke into H&D.  The first few seconds sounded the same, but then busted into H&D and I was a happy camper.  I love me some Jr. though, don't get me wrong!
Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #8 
Indy pretty much covered it, but I'll add my take, maybe answering Stan a little.

This one felt more like a frat party than a concert.  Down front, Bad Habit, Blossom, Modifab, Mr & Mrs Indy, Bluesgrl and I formed our own little island republic in a sea of "less experienced revellers" and all their mumbling, bumbling and stumbling.  The band, on this night, was quite loose, intent on having a party themselves.  And these guys can party!  So the performances were not as tight, or as sharp, or as clean as a typical show, but still a blast.  Pace of the show lagged, with a little break early on so JJ could text back home, as New Years was an hour earlier in Florida, and about a 10 minute pause around 12 am CST, with Art leading a fairly train-wrecked Auld Lang Syne.

This show did have its highlights.  Starting the show with Hottest Spot and fitting All early in the set can really set an intense tone, even if that intensity didn't last.  As Indy mentioned, the harp solo during Lochloosa was a really interesting diversion, giving the end of that song a different feel, and really allowing the power of the horns to shine through.  I've Been Loving You is another great showcase for the horns, and really displays what a soulful voice JJ can have.  Finally, an extended Ho Cake with guest appearances from Shawn and Marcus of Speakeasy was a big treat, although not seeming to have quite the spontaneity and surprise element of the night before.  And a highlight of Speakeasy's 60 minute opening slot was Art's appearance, resulting in felony assault with a saxual weapon, as that dude just murdered with a blow-it-all-to-hell solo, matching Shawn's guitar with knockdown riff after knockdown riff.

I was paying attention to the time, because the Pageant, amongst the major sh*tload of rules and attitudes they have, are quite strict with the curfew.  From start to finish was 2 hrs, 10 minutes, leaving the 'roids rangers 5 minutes to promptly and rudely move us to the street.  And Indy, help me here, but I thought they also played Somebody Else.  It just seemed to me there was more of that Memphis horn sound real close to the Otis cover.

Matt, thanks for the kind words.  Bluesgrl and I really enjoyed hangin' with you and Shannon as well.  We intentionally re-allocated sleeptime hours and brain cellage so that we could "socialize" at the bar after all the gigs.  Plus, for me it was also training camp for Jamcruise which is just a few days away.  I'm going to need to squeegee the liver a couple times between now and this weekend, when I head for the boat.  We shall do it again.  And is it just me, or does your pic of Art remind anyone of a younger Dr John?

Reply with quote  #9 
Just added Somebody Else to the setlist.  Thanks for catching my omission!

That's too funny, Jim.  I just googled searched for images of Dr. John and there are a couple photos that came up that have an uncanny resemblence to my pic of Art from NYE.

And I concur with your assessment of the show as well.  It was very much the amateur hour for a large part of the audience who seemed to be as much into getting as lit up on booze as they were to coming to hear the band play.

The security guy I talked to was actually really nice, but he most likely was just happy that I wasn't another one of the drunks he'd dealt with all night.  Thought it silly that they sold you and Debbie beers and then were hurrying you out (at least that's what I thought I saw).  My biggest issue with the place was them changing that rule and allowing people into the pit area with beverages glass containers.  If they're going to allow drinks down there, make'em pour them into a plastic cup.  By the end of the show there was a lot of broken bottles and pint glasses.
Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMofro'er
Just added Somebody Else to the setlist.  Thanks for catching my omission!

That's too funny, Jim.  I just googled searched for images of Dr. John and there are a couple photos that came up that have an uncanny resemblence to my pic of Art from NYE.

Like this one, maybe:

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter