Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 6      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
ed

Reply with quote  #21 
Ok, I'm getting in late on the Hollis quiz and I only read a few of the tops posts. I attribute that to Bud Light and others...

So the guitar was/is a Western Auto Truetone. The Truetone was made buy a few companies; Harmony, Kay and Danelectro, all now defunct. Harmony and Kay were, to my knowledge, absorbed by Gibson. Don't know about Danelectro.. I'm not a guitar expert, just did a little googling on the subject. I do know that Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin guitarist for those who don't know) played a Danelectro electric on White Mountain Side.

On a personal note I do have both a 6 string Kay guitar and a Harmony baritone ukulele. Wish I had a Danelectro...

Richard

Director of really really really
really really long posts

Reply with quote  #22 

Shiiiiiiiiiiittt ! I'm gonna need to take a day off to read,translate, and catch up on this run !

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #23 
Personally I think this is probably the best thread we've ever had.

Thanks to Ed for the guitar knowledge.

And I am stumped on Sunshine's question. 
Delerious Tyme

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #24 

I would guess the NPR spot that they attribute thier early success to answer Sunshine's question, but not sure if that is correct.

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #25 

I would guess the NPR spot that they attribute thier early success to answer Sunshine's question, but not sure if that is correct.

Nope.........

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #26 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine

Nope.........

Hmmm, is it the Lochloosa Video that is on Silverwrapper's webite and I think was a part of some promotional video for Mofro and other bands??

I know it's not a record release date or signing date.  Also, the benefit concert for the car accident was earlier that year.  Also, the Mofro Unplugged in San Francisco was later on in 2002 as well....

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #27 
Here is a question from 2002 to add on to Sunshines.

What current band member opened for Mofro with another band in August of 2002?  Who was it and what is the name of the band he was playing with and still to this day still plays with them?

Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:

ok, I got a simple question (and answer too)...

what advertising/promotioal

stint happened for M*O*F*R*O

on July 16, 2002??

hint:    it happened 10 minutes before every hour....

Oh, I remember now, should have paid attention to the hint...  It was the MTV You Hear It First.  Forgot about that happening that far back.  It was about the car accident and showcasing Mofro as a new up and coming act.  Don't know if there is anywhere or anyone who has the video of that? 

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerious Tyme
Quote:

ok, I got a simple question (and answer too)...

what advertising/promotioal

stint happened for M*O*F*R*O

on July 16, 2002??

hint:    it happened 10 minutes before every hour....

Oh, I remember now, should have paid attention to the hint...  It was the MTV You Hear It First.  Forgot about that happening that far back.  It was about the car accident and showcasing Mofro as a new up and coming act.  Don't know if there is anywhere or anyone who has the video of that? 

Good Work DT!!!!!!!!

MOFRO ON MTV'S "YOU HEAR IT FIRST"

• Send to a Friend

Tune in to MTV ten minutes before every hour on Tuesday, July 16 for a “You Hear It First” feature on Mofro. The MTV crew caught up with Mofro at the band’s recent show at the Mercury Lounge in New York City to discuss the Blues, Florida’s endangered swamps, and how Mofro is single-handedly making redneck sheik.

Straight from North Florida’s Blackwater region emerges MoFro, a band serving up healthy doses of swamp funk with a twist of front-porch soul. While often compared to other rock bands that have spawned from the south, such as Lynyrd Skynrd and the Allman Brothers, MoFro’s music is hugely original and completely addictive. Mofro is led by singer/songwriter JJ Grey, who grew up outside Jacksonville developing a taste for raw grooves and living a life that inspires his soulful lyrics. A mix of blues/soul and rock, Mofro arranges their multiple instruments – slide guitar, bass, harmonica, keyboards, sax and percussion - into songs that are reminiscent of backcountry days spent lying lazily in the hot sun, where the only form of relief are the many cool black water swamps, fresh water springs and a tall glass of tart lemonade.

Mofro’s latest album, aptly titled Blackwater, has attracted unprecedented national attention for a band relatively new on the scene, being voted one of the 10 Best R&B CD’s of 2001 by Amazon.com and garnering a feature on the prestigious NPR Morning Edition program. Says guest drummer George Sluppick about Blackwater, “it’s funky and groovin’, like fried catfish and turnip greens... it’s uplifting and spiritual, like grits and bacon…it’s Southern to the core.” Go ahead and try some for yourself. Recommended side dish: Pan fried Cracker Meal shrimp and smothered corn bread.

[Published on: 7/15/02]

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #30 

Quote:

What current band member opened for Mofro with another band in August of 2002?  Who was it and what is the name of the band he was playing with and still to this day still plays with them?

would that be one of the Greyhounds??  sounds too easy.....

Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:

Quote:

would that be one of the Greyhounds??  sounds too easy.....

Close, but not quite, the Greyhounds have opened for Mofro in the past, but the one I am talking about was in August 2002, right after your MTV Promo.  I would give you the city, but that would give it away.  Extra credit if you can name the venue.  Not sure if many of you know of the band or have heard of the band before.   

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:

Total guess: by process of elimination it would be AC. I assume when he was with the Legendary JC's out of Orlando. Venue is a tuffy. The Social would seem too easy; I'm going with the Freebird.

BUT this
Quote:
still to this day still plays with them
is puzzling because AC doesn't sit in with the JCs any more.
lil mofro ho

Reply with quote  #33 
When you said the city would give it away, my first thought was Art and Memphis.  Sooo.... Art and The Gamble Brothers??
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #34 

Ooooooohhhh...I hadn't thought of that.

jimbo

President/Founder/Professor,

Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #35 
mofro opened for jc's at the sapphire
in orlando- 6-09-01 ,  I could be wrong, but it's in mofro archives
which was down at this post time. 
Sunshine

Reply with quote  #36 

would it be George Sluppick?

Robert Walter's 20th Congress?? or maybe The City Champs??

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #37 

Can't be. The question is 'what current band member'

Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #38 
Lil Mofro Ho is right, it was Art with the Gamble Brothers, in Memphis.  August 30th, 2002 at the Young Avenue Deli. 

I completely forgot about the Legendary JC's and AC being with them also.  I know Art still plays with the Gamble Brothers some, not sure how much or how much of it has turned into the Grip. 

I know that the guys have played with the Legendary JC's a few times, most recently in 2007.  I think a Freebird New Year's run in 2007 or 2008.  Then they played at one of the BSR's if I'm not mistaken?  Once also in 2002 at Skipper's, but I'm not sure who opened. 

There are a wide arrange of bands that Mofro has opened for or had open for them, the list is too long to put in one post, but easy to recognize the names and far and away some of the best bands out there, besides Mofro of course.

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1

Can't be. The question is 'what current band member'

damn...oops........

and I spent quite of bit of page turning trying to figger it out....well, now I guess I can make the kids their supper........ 

Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #40 

Hey Professor Jimbo, what can you tell us about early 2004 at Cafe Eleven, St. Augustine, where there was a intimate show that was supposidely acoustic with JJ and Daryl, Will Conner and George Sluppick?  I'm assuming you were there.  Maybe a few others on the board as well?  That was pre-Lochloosa but quite a while after the car accident. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter