Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
Live Rock

Reply with quote  #1 

For the Easter holiday this year I wanted to come up with something unique and when I found this recipe by one of my favorite celebrity chefs, Nigella Lawson, I simply could not resist. The fact that she uses an entire 2-liter bottle of Coca-Cola is certainly an indulgence considering my usual avoidance of sugar but hey, isn’t indulgence what holidays are all about?

After reading Nigella’s very fitting introduction I thought I would give it a try.

Aside from changing the language to suit a U.S. kitchen I altered the recipe only very slightly; turning the ham halfway through braising to create an even “burnish” from the cola, and placing the cloves strategically so that a little more flavor would soak into the ham. For more even cooking I would also recommend starting with a (close to) room temperature ham.

I also tried to describe the scoring a little better…it’s basically just lines drawn on the surface with a knife in roughly a diamond pattern. This scoring allows the fat to baste the ham while baking keeping it nice and moist. Don’t let the scoring scare you…it does not have to be perfect...mine certainly wasn't!

On the day that I cooked this ham I made the mistake of discarding the cola after removing the ham from the pot. Although the ham turned out wonderfully flavorful and moist, in retrospect I would like to have tried reducing (boiling down) some of that sweet and spicy liquid until thick and then drizzling it over the sliced ham for both a fancier presentation and added flavor. Do try that…I know I will next time around.

Nigella’s Ham in Cola

For the braise…

1 – 4 to 5 pound, lower sodium ham, bone in

1 – 2 Liter bottle of Coca Cola
1 – Large Onion, halved and sliced

For the glaze…

12 (or more) whole cloves

1 to 2 Tablespoons – Dark molasses
2 Teaspoons – Mustard powder
2 Tablespoons – Light brown sugar

Place the ham, and sliced onions into a large stew pot or Dutch oven. Pour the entire bottle of Coca-Cola over all and bring to a light boil over medium-high heat. When the cola reaches a boil, lower the heat, cover, and maintain a gentle simmer for 2-1/2 hours carefully turning the ham over at the halfway point. Remove the ham after 2-1/2 hours and place on a cookie sheet to cool.

Pre-heat the oven to 500 degrees.

When the ham has cooled just to the point that you can work with it, trim away the skin and most of the fat from the outside, leaving just the slightest layer of fat. Carefully score the ham, slicing 1/8 to ¼ inch deep diagonal score lines around the outside every inch or so. Then turn the ham and slice score lines in the opposite direction, forming a diamond pattern as the scored lines intersect.

Massage the outside of the ham with enough molasses to create a nice glaze then carefully and evenly distribute first the mustard powder, then the brown sugar over that. Poke whole cloves into the ham at the points where the score lines intersect so that they are snugly seated and will not fall out. Bake the ham uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes until the glaze has become sufficiently browned and bubbly. Remove the ham from the oven and rest until cool enough to slice.

Of note from Nigella:  "for braising the ham in advance and then letting the ham cool, take ham from the refrigerator, glaze it according to the recipe, and give it 30 to 40 minutes to sit at room temperature. Place in a 350 degree F oven for 30 to 40 minutes, then turning up the heat if you think it needs a more crispy exterior."

Enjoy,

Randy

(Originally posted at http://recipesrandycooks.com)

lil mofro ho

Reply with quote  #2 
Oh my Sunshine has some competition!  Looks and sounds wonderfully delicious!
slick814

Reply with quote  #3 

I LOVE me some Nigella!!!  That ham recipe absolutely rocks!!! It's defintely heavy on the sugar/syrup, but an extra 5 minutes on the treadmill (yeah, right) will take care of that for ya...

All that is
All that will be
All we have is each other
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Rock

(Originally posted at http://recipesrandycooks.com)

what a bee U tee full photograph!! looks like you gots yourself a sweet DSLR in hand.  your presentation is wonderful and the very colorful eggs (out of focus) in the backround, very nice touch!  I totally agree about making a reduction with that sauce, like you said, next time!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
Live Rock

Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you Sunshine! I had to play around with the shot for a bit until I got the composition I wanted. The ham was cold by then but dang it those eggs were finally out of focus! ;o)

Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Rock
Thank you Sunshine! I had to play around with the shot for a bit until I got the composition I wanted. The ham was cold by then but dang it those eggs were finally out of focus! ;o)

I can relate with the vittles getting cold .... we say our little prayer and then the family starts digging in and I start snapping away, sometimes moving my plate to the window, to use the natural light.  it took a while, but the eye rolling has stopped and they are used to it now. 

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter