Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #1 
Just got played on KGGO of Des Moines, The Roadhouse Sun morning blues show.  Typically, I'll take my music live over studio, but this one is pretty good.  Wait until you hear the studio treatment in the last verse, coincidentally containing the word "echo" in the lyrics.

Its been my (limited) experience that in the blues world, advance singles aren't distributed, but rather entire albums with "suggested tracks", a practice not so much to promote a single album cut, but rather a time-saver so the dj's don't have to listen to the entire album to find a couple to play, something a whole lot of dj's wouldn't take the time to do.  And the KGGO show host is pretty good about not playing the same cut from the new album week after week.

They stream.  http://www.kggo.com  And they take listener suggestions.  I think I heard Lullaby on this show once.

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #2 

Definitely CM, when I first heard Tame a Wild One live on the Garden and Guns solo acoustic set that JJ did, it was defintely not my favorite of all the new songs that had been played or previewed which we all knew was going to be on the album.  The album version blew me away and still does everytime I listen to it.  The overall production of this album is really something else.  JJ has really taken it up another notch with this one just like how he has progressed every step of the way, from all the way back to Blackwater.  There is something about his voice on this album that really stands out.  Maybe that is why it took so long for the new album, making sure to have the right songs for the album, giving them time to evolve and change before recording them, and ultimately getting them to sound, feel, and be exactly how you want them to be.  I have the feeling that This River is an album that turned out exactly how JJ wanted it to, right down to every little detail.  It sounds, looks, and feels just like he envisioned it.  Blackwater was raw and gritty, but that's what gives it that character to be a great album, no doubt.  Lochloosa was more of a cleaner more enhanced version of BW.  Country Ghetto added the full horn backing and kind of punched you square in the mouth with a rock attitude.  Orange Blossoms started the transformation into refining the studio process, with kind of a symphonic twist to it.  Georgia Warhorse made a leap further, but still had alot of the Orange Blossoms feel to it, almost giving you the feeling that it was on the verge of something great, but maybe being held back by that.  This River is that something great.  The instrumental overlapping and combinations on the tracks are perfectly infused and not too much, not too little.  It's as every bit funky as it is soulful and when it requires a live feeling to it, it's provides it.  When it requires an eerie feel to it, it's there.  When it requires a need to make you dance, shake, groove, and get up and move, well, it sure as hell does that too.  Harp and Drums is done about as well as I think you can do with a live jam track on an album.  It begged the question when it was first mentioned that it would be on the album as to whether or not it could be pulled off, and if so, done to where it doesn't ruin the appeal or effect it has and has had over the year live.  Believe me it does...  I recall someone saying, H&D is a 6 minute track, how do you play that song in only 6 minutes?  Well, don't forget, it is a recorded version for an album, while it may be a live jam track, it has to have some structure to be recorded for an album.  That being said, it doesn't suffer nor take anything away from the live feel to it given it's length on the album.  Remember, there isn't much in the way of lyrics for H&D, so everything that it is live, is included within the album version and highlighted by the best of everything the band has to offer.  Had it been a 10 minutes track or longer, it would have probably been overkill, and anything less than the length it is now, would have not given the song it's due or chance  to have the effect it's intended to have.  When it's played live, it can and will be longer, because it feeds off the crowd and the moment.  On a record, you only have one shot at it and that's it.  It doesn't feed off those listening to it or change and adapt to those enjoying it, it is what it is and that's it.  Thankfully, JJ and the guys pull it off as close to, if not damn near perfect. 
Throw in a Greyhounds masterpiece on this album and well, you've got yourself quite a work of art.  I know it hurts to have to wait for it, but believe me it is worth the wait.  That is an understatement.  I kinda have this feeling after listening to it that JJ is sitting back wherever he is at with that wide grin and aura around him that he has something up his sleeve, something big.  While it's killing him to not be able to tell everyone he sees about it or show us, it's satisfying in having that sense of, man, just wait until everyone sees what I've got.  I kinda liken it to buying a new car, one that turns heads and one that you want to just drive around all day long showing it off.  Only thing is, you've finished all the research, paperwork, made your decision, selected every option, added every accessory desired, signed your name every place it needs to be signed, everything that you need to do to acquire the car you always wanted.  Only thing is, you have to wait for it to be built, shipped, and processed before you get to finally sit behind the wheel and enjoy it.  Sure, you've got pictures, previews, and have test driven cars that are similiar to it to get the feel for it, but it's not the same as actually having it and driving the one that is yours.  Well, April 16th is when JJ's new car arrives and it is a site to behold.  He's gonna showcase the hell out of it and he damn well should...  It looks great on paper, but is even better in person, and will turn alot of heads as it is drives by... 

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
uhollis

Alumni/Dean/Assoc Professor,
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #3 
shoulda scraped H&D. just sayin. 
uhollis

Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #4 
TAWO, though, is pretty freakin fantastic on this album, save the very first notes of the bridge. live that will fade away.

"but words can't built whats real"
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #5 

Mr. Moderator .....

<hands  are slowly clapping .......
the speed picks up ......
and now a thunderous ovation can be heard>

How wonderfully and eloquently stated!!

I have nuthin left to say .................
......... as you were .........

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
uhollis

Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #6 
here's one thing I really like about the new album.

SPACE. AIR. room to breathe. i feel like Trube is tamed a bit, and thats great. 

this album sounds more like a collection of 7" pressings from studios like Stax, Checker or ATCO. 

with orange blossoms, and country ghetto, there just wasnt any air in the album or songs, so by the time you got to a song like "I Believe" then you are spent. 

And on Ghetto, War opens things up, and i cant even recover until "On Palastine", and ive felt like I missed something by then. that album hurts.
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhollis
shoulda scraped H&D. just sayin. 

I hear ya UHollis, it was and still is a surprise that it actually made it on an album, but I think given the circumstances and nature of the song, if it had to be done, they did about as good of a job with it as you possibly can. It's structured and limited obviously, but there is no way of getting around that. It is probably all of our fault for asking for it repeatedly at shows that they decided to put it on the album. One good thing to come from it though, is that it will likely be in a steady rotation on setlists going forward. Definitely stands out on the album as a the song that doesn't fit or belong, but atleast it's not an abortion of a recording nor hard on the ears.

Trube is definitely a little restrained on this album as compared to GW. Farrell gets to let loose quite a bit more than normal on it and doesn't disappoint. But if anything, the horns are all over the new album. The Hercules Horns will probably be doing less dancing and more playing going forward. That, and I can't say enough about how well JJ's voice sounds on this album. He really nails it.

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
ChrisCornell

Reply with quote  #8 
Has everyone heard the album already? Is anyone sharing
Dispatch Ninja

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCornell

Na, only people who have connections with the band (or know people who have connections), and a couple radio djs have heard it.  We'll still be waiting till the 16th more than likely.  Hopefully we get a single pretty soon 
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatch Ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCornell

Na, only people who have connections with the band (or know people who have connections), and a couple radio djs have heard it.  We'll still be waiting till the 16th more than likely.  Hopefully we get a single pretty soon 

The single is going to be 99 Shades of Crazy and is set for release or impact date of April 1st. 

Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #11 
Tame A Wild One
Lyrics
Music & Lyrics by JJ Grey

There's never been a man
To keep her underhand, or to hold her down
Cause she's as wild as a raging sea and just as beautiful too

Oh what was it in her eyes that scared him so
How come he felt so weak but tried look so strong

He tried to tame - tame a wild one
He tried to make a woman do right till she wants to do wrong

She, she was content
She loved to live each day as if another may never come

Ah but he
He did is best to hold her down
He built a cage a prison for the thing he loved most

Ah love is as free as it gets but it ain't ever cheap

He, woke to an empty house
Only the shell only the echo inside

He may never understand
Just why she left
But words can't build what's real
Or pull the life from a breath

Ah love is as free as it gets but it ain't ever cheap

Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Moore
Just got played on KGGO of Des Moines, The Roadhouse Sun morning blues show.  Typically, I'll take my music live over studio, but this one is pretty good.  Wait until you hear the studio treatment in the last verse, coincidentally containing the word "echo" in the lyrics.

Its been my (limited) experience that in the blues world, advance singles aren't distributed, but rather entire albums with "suggested tracks", a practice not so much to promote a single album cut, but rather a time-saver so the dj's don't have to listen to the entire album to find a couple to play, something a whole lot of dj's wouldn't take the time to do.  And the KGGO show host is pretty good about not playing the same cut from the new album week after week.

They stream.  http://www.kggo.com  And they take listener suggestions.  I think I heard Lullaby on this show once.

The word "echo" is in the song Write a Letter as well and the same effect is used... 

"Echo in the night, when the train whistle blows"

uhollis

Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #13 
wifes first listen to album this weekend. 
left a bad taste in her mouth, if only because it is sadly not 4 yr old friendly.

Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhollis
wifes first listen to album this weekend. 
left a bad taste in her mouth, if only because it is sadly not 4 yr old friendly.

It starts off with a bang by being not 4 yr old friendly with Your Lady, She's Shady, followed by Somebody Else...  I imagine the bad taste to start the album ruins it for the remaining songs... 

AntsyAshley

Reply with quote  #15 
I hope what you're saying is -- JJ is a dirty motha fucka.
uhollis

Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #16 
  >>>I imagine the bad taste to start the album ruins it for the remaining songs...  

definitely aint like when he was three, singing "orange blossoms" or "Sweetest Thing".

"i grab my pistol gonna show these fools......." 

now she is butt shaking and enjoying it, but the youngin is way impressionable and asking serious queries lately, so somebody else might get skipped over often.
meandmyfriend

Reply with quote  #17 
My 4 yr old can sing any and every song on each album but i'd have to say this one will have to be played "after hours" and any time I hear mom I want to hear JJ Grey and MOFRO. I'll just keep it with what he knows. Still can't wait for the mail lady to show up, I'll probably kiss her HEHE. Looking forward to seeing ya'll in 11 days!
Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #18 
No issues with Slow Hot and Sweaty in Youngin' Mofro Nation??

Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Moore
No issues with Slow Hot and Sweaty in Youngin' Mofro Nation??
No bad words in that one LOL JJ will tell you that himself..Never had to explain the meaning behind any of the songs but he knows it's not good like when he hears on the radio...."will i am and Brittany B*#@!" So I can venture to say I'd get a couple "OOOOOHHHH-he said a bad word"s out of the new album...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter