Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #1 

Don't know much else other than it's July 7th.

Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #2 
It's a one-day festival featuring Bela Fleck & the original Flecktones, as well as Bruce Hornsby.  JJG&M not announced on the festival site yet:

http://www.sunvalleyshakedown.com

Admin
Reply with quote  #3 

bump

Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #4 
Fest site must not have been updated when I previously hit it.  The lineup is now JJG&M, Dirty Dozen Brass Band and DJ Logic.

Looks pretty, but maybe just a couple blocks up the street from the end of the world.  Might be quite a trek, even assuming you could fly into Boise from anywhere else.  But with a jeep, a tent and a couple extra weeks on your hands, ...

Admin
Reply with quote  #5 

I'll pass.

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #6 

Roll call??

Bad Habit

Traveling Ambassador of Goodwill
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1

Roll call??

Well, I guess you can call me a roll (rather than a biscuit like giggles). Har, har, har

I actually am going to this show, as is Craven Moore. We'll be road trippin' from Spokane to Sun Valley to Bozeman. Woo hoo! (MF1, you'll be glad to know I'm flying into Spokane rather than driving!)
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
(MF1, you'll be glad to know I'm flying into Spokane rather than driving!)

That's a long way. You may want to stay somewhere in between like about St. Louis overnight. You're arms are probly gonna be real tired by then.
Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #9 
See the tweets via BH for the setlists.  Maybe I can list later.

Early Sun morning, stationed at the lodge lobby's computer, staring out the window at mountains everywhere framing a beautiful cloudless sky.  What an absolutely enjoyable show last night.  Hard to describe.  Not powerful like the night before, but so totally, perfectly...pleasant??

The setting at Sun Valley was stunning.  Sun disappearing behind the mountains.  Horses frolicking (sp?) in the adjacent field.  Quite a lot going on in the village yesterday, so people were a little late to gather.  Looking around before the show, maybe only 500 or so scattered very roomily on the festival ground.  As show started, maybe 20 or 30 people standing in the area in front of the stage, but no one daring to inch toooo close. 

Pleasant (?) set list, opening with Ybor City.  The show had a real nice pace to it.  Sound, particularly for an outdoor show, was so good.  More and more people joining the front.  But I've only seen 6 or 8 who were obviously familiar with the band. 

But JJ's and the band's energy, verve and performance kept pulling more and more and more of the townies and tourists off their blankets.  By the end of the night, there were hundreds of us in (as BH has noted), the friendliest throng up front I've yet seen.  All dancing and cheering, but nearly all seeing or hearing these guys for the first time.  Most surreal moment of the night:  Lochloosa begins the encore, and as JJ gives a brief introduction and does the harp, and steps forward to sing, this is where the crowd always opens mouths as one and sings along.  NOT TONIGHT!  Nobody (except now 10 or 12) knows the lyrics!!!!!  But everyone came out of this one seemingly transformed.  I don't think this many people have been converted in one place, in one night, since Billy Graham visited Vegas.

Soon, it's back in the car, hundreds more miles to Bozeman.  Incredible, incredible scenery.  More detail to come, hopefully soon.  I'll let Bad Habit share our brush with mortality on Trail Creek Road, the last roadtrip shortcut we'll be taking for quite some time.

Admin
Reply with quote  #10 
Wow very nice CM for bringing that home to us. Sounds like some beautiful places. Hope in your rush to get from points A to B to C you got a pic or two along the way.

Nice imagery too. Sounds like the show was...pleasant. And sounds like Idahoans (?) are mighty nice folk. I'd be a bit freaked out during Lochloosa. I'm trying to remember a show where no one knew the lyrics to Lochloosa. That's when you know there'll be some converts for sure (amen brothers and sisters!)

Glad y'all have survived thus far. Can't wait to hear about the brush with death.
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks for sharing with us Craven Moore!! 
Both shows sound just wonderful! 
I love how no matter the dynamic of the show,
the vibe is always on!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
Bad Habit

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Moore
 I'll let Bad Habit share our brush with mortality on Trail Creek Road, the last roadtrip shortcut we'll be taking for quite some time.

OK, a few quick words:  I'm not one to normally be afraid of heights, but holy shit, this road was scary!!!  We did see the warning sign (see photo below that I found on the internet) and even went back to read it again.  We were already on such a tight schedule that we decided the road couldn't be all that bad...

Trail Creek Road - warning sign by ericamnorman, on Flickr

So off we go!  For the most part, the road wasn't too bad.  But there was a section of road where we probably would have turned around had it been humanly possible.  I found this video on youtube to give you an idea of what it was like.  Notice how there's only room for one car at a time, and yes, we did eventually have to pass two cars (or rather we let them pass us).  Fortunately, we saw them coming way ahead of time and were able to stop at one of the places that had a "shoulder" so to speak.  Also notice there is no guard rail, only rocks - and just how steep the drop-off is.  Thank God we made it out alive

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #13 
You've got to be kidding me! Seriously!? That was the best route to Sun Valley from where y'all were? They ain't got no paved roads out there?? Did y'all see other cars? I love the end of the vid "Made It!!!"
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #14 
how in the heck did their bus dew that road??!!  iffin it did ......
In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
Bad Habit

Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1
You've got to be kidding me! Seriously!? That was the best route to Sun Valley from where y'all were? They ain't got no paved roads out there?? Did y'all see other cars? I love the end of the vid "Made It!!!"

No, no, no, I didn't say it was the best route to Sun Valley, it was a shortcut.  I just always thought of a shortcut as shortening the distance between point A and point B, not shortening my life!
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #16 
I know! Certainly don't want to make you shorter!!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter