Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #1 

Pretty cool poster by America's favorite graphics artist, Larry the Cable Guy:

(MF1, can you fit this smaller on the page?  I'm useless here. I just recently learned that you can watch a VHS tape more than once if you use something called a rewind button)

Admin
Reply with quote  #2 
Gotcha covered there CM. Say what about Larry the Cable Guy? Way cool poster.

(Remind me sometime and I'll teach you what the pause button does.)
Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #3 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1
Say what about Larry the Cable Guy? Just making reference to another of the day's bad puns, located in the lower right 1/4 of the poster.

Admin
Reply with quote  #4 
Ah yes, now I get it!

Meanwhile back at the ranch, I heard there's some sort of VIP/Charity show going on before this show where JJ's going to be playing solo. I don't know anything further other than I heard it ain't cheap because they're trying to raise money for a cause. I'll holler out if/when I hear more.

Anybody going to this show?
Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1
Ah yes, now I get it!

Meanwhile back at the ranch, I heard there's some sort of VIP/Charity show going on before this show where JJ's going to be playing solo. I don't know anything further other than I heard it ain't cheap because they're trying to raise money for a cause. I'll holler out if/when I hear more.

Anybody going to this show?

Please do holler out if/when.
As for the main event, you can add:
  1. Bad Habit
  2. Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #6 
From a site selling tickets to the show:
JJ Grey & MOFRO is a soul/funk/R&B/blues/southern rock band from Jacksonville, Florida composed of JJ Grey (vocals, electric piano, acoustic guitar and electric guitar, harmonica), Andrew Trube (electric guitar and slide guitar), Anthony Farrell (Hammond Organ), Anthony Cole (drums) and the "Hercules Horns" Dennis Marion (trumpet), Art Edmaiston (tenor saxophone) and Todd Smallie (bass guitar).

What's up with Hercules Horns?  Are those guys a brand now?

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Moore
From a site selling tickets to the show:
JJ Grey & MOFRO is a soul/funk/R&B/blues/southern rock band from Jacksonville, Florida composed of JJ Grey (vocals, electric piano, acoustic guitar and electric guitar, harmonica), Andrew Trube (electric guitar and slide guitar), Anthony Farrell (Hammond Organ), Anthony Cole (drums) and the "Hercules Horns" Dennis Marion (trumpet), Art Edmaiston (tenor saxophone) and Todd Smallie (bass guitar).

What's up with Hercules Horns?  Are those guys a brand now?

They have been known as that for as long as they have been with the band from what I remember.  Hercules Powdercamp is where they came up with the name.  I remember the first tour with Art and Dennis, the Country Ghetto Tour, JJ would announce each one individually and then collectively as the Hercules Horns.  Always loved that name and wish they would use it more. 

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #8 
JJ's doing a solo show before this show. Info here
http://forums.mofrofans.com/post/JJ-Solo-show-in-Bozeman-on-July-8-5895309
Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #9 
  1. Everything Good Is Bad
  2. Beautiful World
  3. Mississippi
  4. BD,
  5. War
  6. I Believe
  7. Hide & Seek
  8. Dirtfloor
  9. Lochloosa
  10. Country Ghetto
  11. Sweetest Thing
  12. Slow Hot Sweaty
  13. Orange Blossom
  14. Ho Cake
  15. Encore:  Fireflies
  16. Junior

It was a long 6 1/2 hour drive from Sun Valley.  A lot of barren rocky land.  Went by what I assumed was a (former?) nuclear test site.  Craters of the Moon was really different, maybe a region of long-dormant volcanoes (volcani?).  Missed the US Sheep Experimentation Station (I'll try to refrain from any baaaad remarks).  We're definitely in the west.

Venue was an older multi-use center that used to be a big school.  Theater, art studios and galleries, etc.  In fact cowboy church was letting out as we were arriving.  Show was in the "ballroom".  Ceiling was too low for the room to be a basketball gym, but about that size of floor.  Maybe the former cafeteria?  And it was really really warm in there, even before people showed up.

Most every show has been memorable, just for different reasons.  This one memorable for the crowd.  Definitely the youngest I've been to, with at least 80% of 'em 25 or younger.  Must have been Montana State students.  Anyway what was missing in sheer numbers (perhaps 250-350 people total) was made up for in HUGE energy and enthusiasm.  And LOUD!!!  Just a tremendous audience environment, although the cheap drinks ($1.50 Busch lights, $4 call liquors) certainly resulted in a few minor misadventures for some.

As for the set itself, pretty standard.  Mississippi (every other lyric reference changed to Montana) was a nice insert.  When planning to see so many shows this year, I had been a little concerned about the music getting boring and repetitive for me.  But the band does a pretty good job of keeping everything fresh, continuing to add nuance, mixing things up here and there within a song.  Especially the horns.  For this night's Lochloosa, instead of Farrell starting it with those familiar keyboard chords, JJ started it off on his new guitar, handed off to Aaron, pulled out the harp, and from there went to the first verse.  No verbal introduction, but none needed.  In total contrast with the night before, all these kids knew about that special 'lil place in Florida.  Keeps it all interesting.  And on Ho Cake, after sharing the keys with Farrell a little extra longer and then setting up the final verse by talking about Granny's cooking, JJ got off on a tangent talking about how you can get poisoned from eating polk salad if it aint cooked right.  Then riffed vocally a little on Polk Salad Annie, before launching into a full verse and chorus, with Art just nailing it.  And the crowd's awesome responses seemed to keep the band fresh in an otherwise sweltering room.  Really really fun show.

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #10 

Mr. Moore, I awlways look forward to your persepctive on shows.  I thank you for taking the time to share your stories and adventures with us sitting back home wishing (me anywho) I had the ability, time, funds to go off for a while and just travel following Our Boys. 
......... One day .......... 
 ......one day ........ 
 ...one day ...

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
uhollis

Alumni/Dean/Assoc Professor,
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #11 
poke salad.

and it is a toxin, no matter how you cook it.

thanks for the review.
swkelley

Alumni/Assoc Professor
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #12 
They need to start mixing the setlists up more and playing some cover tunes or something.  The setlists are getting stale for a band with as many songs as they have. 

Admin
Reply with quote  #13 
I don't disagree Stan. But glad to see that Whitehouse, That Boy, Footsteps/Turpentine and a couple others and get a little into the rotation. I hope they'll mix it up a lot at the W. Palm show (except I wish they were headlining.)

Really great review of things Craven. I assume you must've leaft your handy dandy pocket geiger counter at home. Hey I went to a Sheep Experimentation Station one time! They threw me out. But we don't talk about that.

I've been to some shows where the audience is mostly young. Instead of feeling I'm old enough to be people's father I feel like I'm old enough to be their grandfather. God I can only imagine how you must feel.

Quote:
But the band does a pretty good job of keeping everything fresh, continuing to add nuance, mixing things up here and there within a song.  Especially the horns. 
I agree, especially considering what I said above. That's why I feel the band belongs in the jam band sub-category. Dennis and Art just jam their asses off. Ain't like it's planned, they're just feeling the music, the crowd and everything and just rocking. And same for the other guys too. It does help to keep the songs fresh.

hollis I continue to be amazed at your knowledge of southern food!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter