Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
thefollower

Reply with quote  #1 

Does Mofro1 or anyone else know the stories behind these two songs?  Where they came from, when they were written, what JJ's personal meaning is behind them.  I love knowing that about songs.  Makes them more meaningful.  Well let me know

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #2 

BD comes from when he was in London and his record deal fell apart and he was pining for home.  CG I'm not sure. DT knows all this and so does skot and hollis and stan and other old timers. Meanwhile I'll dig around old posts; as you can imagine it's been discussed before!

thefollower

Reply with quote  #3 

I figured it had been brought up in the past.  I was probably not introduced to Mofrofans.com at that time but now that I have been here a spill I'd appreciate any answers you could find.  Thanks MofroFan1

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #4 

Certainly! I'm glad you asked!! There's a LOT of new people on/watching the site than their used to be so I don't mind--actually I'd encourage--asking. I'm sure that are many lurkers and members that want to know the same thing!

So far I've found this page...it's a collection of BD videos from over the years. I dunno if any of them have JJ talking about the origin of it but I'll bet there is.

http://www.mofrofans.com/board/board_topic/5292004/468399.htm

(Don't post a reply there, it's the old board...nobody will see it.)

thefollower

Reply with quote  #5 

Nice, sitting at work right now so I cant turn up the sound but I will rock it when I get home this afternoon.  I appreciate it.  I think that there is way more than enough about JJ that interest's me.  I was watching old interviews with him the other day and his outlook on life is remarkable.  Thanks for taking the time to help

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #6 
I dunno if there's something in this thread. God knows it covers damn near everything else. I think the only thing ain't in there is JJ's birth weight. You may have already been thru this thread but if ya ain't it's a great read!
http://www.mofrofans.com/board/board_topic/5292004/552049.htm
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #7 

I can't find much else back in the closet but I'm sure there'll be some people'll come on here and embellish on my brief explanation. (they better!)

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #8 
Speaking of old interviews, have you seen the video of JJ on the Jeff Corwin Show on Discovery a few years back? You gotta check that out. 
http://gtm-media.discoveryeducation.com/videos/25469/chp916770_256k.asf
thefollower

Reply with quote  #9 

I will be able to check it out in 3 hrs and 15 minutes when i leave work, go home, put on my Mofro, grab a cold Budweiser and another room temperature bud and kick it.

skotdee

Alumni/Assoc Professor, Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #10 
Off the top of my head I believe 6 ways is about being used, abused and otherwise taken for granted by friends/family/loved ones with addictions...

Six ways I've been pulled
Six ways to lose my mind
They'll turn your pockets out
Boy leave you dead or dying
Mr Pilchard

Reply with quote  #11 
Welcome Howard 054....I was fortunate enough to take this video up in Minneapolis....JJ opened with Brighter Days and spoke quite a bit about the song in the intro.

http://www.youtube.com="" watch?v="HpgAZ94DaRQ">

As far as Six Ways - you got me - but one of my favorites.

Reply with quote  #12 
Thank you very much Mr Pilchard

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #13 
Okay dammit, people are holding back here. I know somebody knows. Maybe I can throw out some bones here and Jimbo can nod his head in agreement or disagreement.

skot's right about a friend or family member on drugs. Reference to the drugs:
They'll turn your pockets out
Boy leave you dead or dying
Tough love can get to rough

Don't want nobody taking his drugs away from him:
Six ways from Sunday
Mama let me be
Six ways from Sunday
Darling let me be

The 'mule' is the drug user. This verse is basically how there ain't much hope in getting him to stop.
Broke down and tied to the ground
Like a mule on the down side
Yelling gee and yelling haw loud
In my ears till I want to cry
But that whip don't mean too much
When a mule ain't got a chance
Let 'em roll watch how they fold
Victims of their circumstance

I've heard JJ talk about the song and I could swear it was at Skippers 2/3 years back. Before he sings the last verse he says what it means and what he's talking about. I think i've heard it on some shows on the archive too.
redfisherroy

Reply with quote  #14 

Some cool stuff...how did he ever get hooked up with Jeff Corwin? 

ed

Reply with quote  #15 
As far as SWFS:  From what I remember it was about a family member or close friend that was an addict. Don't remember what the addiction was and it don't really matter. Mainly about JJ and family dealing with the relation's trying to kick the addiction and possibly the failure of the relation to kick the addiction or not (it's been a while..)
In this verse that Clay quoted:
Broke down and tied to the ground
Like a mule on the down side
Yelling gee and yelling haw loud
In my ears till I want to cry
But that whip don't mean too much
When a mule ain't got a chance
Let 'em roll watch how they fold
Victims of their circumstance

The "mule" is the addict that family is trying to steer, maybe without luck, to the right path. When directing an animal pulling a plow "gee" and "haw" are (I think) left and right. They've done it so much that they know that it's useless and no matter how much they try (yelling and whippin') that the person gonna have to hit rock bottom and come out of it on their own.

ed

thefollower

Reply with quote  #16 

Good stuff guys, I really appreciate it.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter