Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #21 
Damn, I love it. Love JJ's vocals. Love the horn arrangement, man. And Trube's solo, he could've jammed for a couple more minutes if'n you ask me. Thanks BH for taping and doing such a great job. I know you did it for all us and it's greatly appreciated. I know too how it ain't easy to hold the camera steady. And now we know what the view's like from your angle down there.
Delerious Tyme

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #22 
I have the other camera version that Bad Habit has of the new song from State Bridge and will upload it when I get back home.  Should have it up by this time tommorrow.  I was also able to tape it at the Mish, but had to be quite sneaky about it, as there was one security guard that was determined to not let anyone tape or take photos.  Other than the spotlight that would shoot straight into my face every now and then throughout the song, it came it pretty good.  The sound especially.  I will upload it when I upload the other one taken by Bad Habit.  
There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #23 
Yeah!!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1
Damn, I love it. Love JJ's vocals. Love the horn arrangement, man. And Trube's solo, he could've jammed for a couple more minutes if'n you ask me. Thanks BH for taping and doing such a great job. I know you did it for all us and it's greatly appreciated. I know too how it ain't easy to hold the camera steady. And now we know what the view's like from your angle down there.

I love that whole sound on this one as well.  60's/70's Memphis soul all over it.  The comparisons have been buggin' the hell out of me since first time we heard it.  I hear a little of the Animals' House of the Rising Sun, particularly in the chorus of Somebody Else, but in JJ's vocals on this one, I really hear a lot of Alex Chilton, lead singer of those forgotten Memphis pillars of 60's whiteboy soul, the Box Tops.  Check out Chilton's vocals on The Letter.

The horns are great on this one.  After seeing many shows this year, I've really come to appreciate what they've been adding, particularly in not playing exactly the same stuff show after show.  They keep adding and refining, making the familiar still seem fresh.

Credit Bad Habit for capturing Trube's sound at this show.  Typically, I'm on the horn's side, with Bad Habit usually closer to the middle.  Since she planned to tape a little, it was her idea to catch this show from the other side to getter a better angle of JJ's guitar playing.  Not totally entrenched in my old habits, I decided to wander as well.  It put us in front of Trube's amp.  Really, really enjoyed his playing at this show.  Got to hear stuff I normally don't get in the mix over on the other side.  Now, if my left ear survives, ...

For the Mishy show, I focused on JJ's vocal delivery.  Man, that look of intense anger and contempt just kills.  Nuclear stink-eye.

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #25 

So, BH had her hands full for this song at State Bridge as she recorded it with two separate cameras.  Goes to show that she is the real deal by being talented, lovely and beautiful.  The video above is the other camera she was so magically operating for this song...  Thanks BH!

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
Bad Habit

Traveling Ambassador of Goodwill
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerious Tyme
Goes to show that she is the real deal by being talented, lovely and beautiful.

Don't tell anyone I paid you to say that! 
Bad Habit

Traveling Ambassador of Goodwill
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1
And now we know what the view's like from your angle down there.

Nice, huh?

And you're welcome!  I've enjoyed watching it myself (over and over... and over...).  Maybe I'll have to end up getting myself a video camera one of these days after all.  Wish I could get me one of fancy ones like Sunshine's got
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #28 
I guess it would be appropriate to follow up my snarky smart ass remark with a heartfelt thank you for taping this song Ms. Habit.  And with 2 camera's nonetheless!! I know you do it for all of us and I think I can speak for many by saying that we are lucky to have you!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter