Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
home2

Reply with quote  #1 
Would be great to hear "champagne and wine" by Otis Redding in a JJGrey and Mofro version!
What would you like to hear?
home2

Reply with quote  #2 
...or "you made a man out of me" by Otis !
tox

Honorary Alumni Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #3 
I'm holding out for "Hey Joe" - Wilson Pickett version.Thanks to SoFlaDave for introducing this to me.

Reply with quote  #4 
Yeah, WP's Hey Joe would be something.  Once upon a time, rumor had it that the guys had worked on it.  One night when JJ was hanging out after a gig (Bad Habit, weren't you there also?), we were having an alcohol-fueled conversation singing the praises of Wilson Pickett's cover versions, dissecting them part by part, going off in massive detail, except he was talking about Hey Joe and I was talking about Hey Jude.  We laughed our asses off when we realized we weren't even talking about the same song.

As with Home2's Otis songs, all great songs, all many of us are familiar with.  Here's one that would I think would be cool, by an unknown (nationally) artist, known here in Iowa for their earthy storytelling and rootsy sound.  Live, they've performed this with keyboard, and there's plenty of room for horns, 'specially in the coda:

Traveling Ambassador of Goodwill
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Moore
Yeah, WP's Hey Joe would be something.  Once upon a time, rumor had it that the guys had worked on it.  One night when JJ was hanging out after a gig (Bad Habit, weren't you there also?), we were having an alcohol-fueled conversation singing the praises of Wilson Pickett's cover versions, dissecting them part by part, going off in massive detail, except he was talking about Hey Joe and I was talking about Hey Jude.  We laughed our asses off when we realized we weren't even talking about the same song.

Ah, yes!  For lots of reasons, I remember that night very well!  That was in Hamburg, the first night on our tour [smile]
Bad Habit

Traveling Ambassador of Goodwill
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by home2
Would be great to hear "champagne and wine" by Otis Redding in a JJGrey and Mofro version!
What would you like to hear?

Lately I've been thinking about Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah.

But what I really, really want to hear is Georgia Women.  I believe it's actually R.L. Burnside, but every time I hear the Hill Country Revue version, I can totally hear each guy playing their part.  Love it!
Suth'nTripDip

Reply with quote  #7 

If we're talking Otis - gotta to get these on the list:
"I Love You More Than Words Can Say"
"Ole Man Trouble"

And how about some Slim Harpo:
"Scratch my Back" (not much singin' to it but Trube can show off his chicken cluckin' bit)

Of course, can't skip out on hearing JJGM "howlin'" with the Wolf:
"Shake for Me"
"Little Red Rooster"

Anything Van Morrison or JJ Cale - everything JJGM style of course!

helix77

Reply with quote  #8 
Bob Seger's "Turn The Page"

Reply with quote  #9 
Greg Kihn's "The Break Up Song". "They just don't write like that anymore!".
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter