Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
bobbyw24

Reply with quote  #1 
We have Twitter, but I'm guessing that forum members use Facebook a lot more than Twitter.

We could get updates from these forums on our Facebook walls for quick communication--like when rumors about JJ showing up in a small bar come up.

skotdee

Alumni/Assoc Professor, Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #2 
I think it would be pretty cool, I'm friends with a lot of folks here already on fb... It helps put faces with names. Guess that's why they call it Facebook, lol
bobbyw24

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skotdee
I think it would be pretty cool, I'm friends with a lot of folks here already on fb... It helps put faces with names. Guess that's why they call it Facebook, lol

True--it was my Facebook posting of this event that got Bad Habit to come on down and enjoy the evening witt JJ
Delerious Tyme

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #4 
The idea of having a MofroFans Facebook page was something that Clay and I discussed a while back and while the idea seems logical, we ultimately decided against it for one main reason, there is already a Mofro Facebook page.  Granted, it's not a Mofro FAN Facebook page, but everything you need or can get from Facebook that is Mofro related, you can get from the band's official Facebook page.  The one thing that Clay wanted to make sure when starting this fansite was to not step on anyones toes, most importantly, not JJ's or the band's toes.  Having a Mofro Fan Facebook page would just create competition between the Fan page and the band's page for who visits there and for what.  With the Twitter account, before we started that, we made sure that JJ nor the band management did not have one to begin with, nor were they planning on creating one or tweeting what we were/are planning to tweet.  JJ is on twitter, but never tweets nor uses it and said he had no plans to, much less the time.  The management gave us the ok and thus we started it, knowing it will benefit the band, yet not take anything away from them in terms of followers or what is and is not posted online.  With this fansite, we are obviously the only one when Clay started it 4 years ago and we are still alone in being just that, the only one.  Starting off, Clay was very aware of the band's website and Facebook page, obviously how important they are to the band and getting the word out about them.  He's made sure that every change, addition, subtraction, or tidbit of information posted with this website does not take anything away from those sites, nor compete with them for members, publicity, or mistaken identity.  Starting off, I don't think anyone could have done it any better than the way Clay did in preventing something like that from happening.  He is obviously more in the know with the band now then back at the start, but still keeps those thoughts in mind when making changes, posts or what have you to stay on that same page.  It's just now he get's a response or answer a little bit faster then he use to when JJ or the band management knew this site existed.  Granted, not much faster, but you get the idea. 

All in all, this site should be something that compliments the band's site, is a gateway to help those who have never heard of JJ Grey & Mofro find thier way to the band's website, in order to view, listen to, and purchase JJ's music so he can continue to write, record, and play it for us live as much as he and the rest of the guys do.  Ultimately, we felt, if we started a Fansite Facebook page, we would just be creating a page that would take away from that somewhat and duplicating alot of the things that we already have on this site.  Clay can tell you how hard it is to maintain one site, much less two, or three, and so on.  If you want to be a part of Facebook and have a Mofro page to visit, you already have one in the Mofro Official Facebook page.  Creating a Fansite Facebook page would only be a duplication of what we already enjoy, most likely with less benefits. 

Sorry for the long explanation, but I hope it makes sense as to why we don't have such a Facebook page and most likely will not pursue one. 

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
bobbyw24

Reply with quote  #5 
Great Explanation

Thanks!

Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #6 

Very well stated Mr. Moderator!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #7 

Amazing that someone that ugly can write so eloquently.

Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1

Amazing that someone that ugly can write so eloquently.

.... now, be nice .....

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #9 

Nice?! That's no fun!

Seriously, I emailed DT last night and told him that with 110% accuracy I can say I couldn't have said it all better than he did. For the most part anything I'd add to it would be redundant. But I do have a couple of things. First, DT gives too much credit to me and not enough to himself. He was one of the first members of the site back when we had like 10. I remember how excited I'd get when we'd have 10-15 people/day visit the site back then. (Now we never get less than ~250 visits/day and at times hits 500+.)

DT was there from the start volunteering to help in any way, giving ideas, bouncing ideas off each other, helping to scout out items of interest to post...lots of stuff. He also did up all the tabs/chords that are on that page.

To this day DT is very involved in making things run smooth, both on the scene and behind the scenes, and doing what he can to help make our little community what it is. (Who do you think adding the Twitter acct's idea was? Who do you think did all the work? Hint: I had never even been on twitter before and other than knowing what it was, I surely had no idea on how to set it all up and make it work. Actually at the same time as he was thinking twitter I was trying to come up with a way to distribute cans to everyone and figure out how to get string criss-crossing the country.) As of today we have 141 followers.

He's truly been there for me every step of the way.

I did some research for a business associate recently. Right at 50% (actually 47% to 51% depending on whose data you look at) of U.S. adults have a FB account. I know of a few people here on the board that don't have one. I might as well not. I look at Mofro's a few times a day but I look at my own news feed, messages, etc about once a month or so. A number of reasons but allocating my time is a part of it.

Soooo...point is that our site also reaches out to those without FB, They can still see the FB page and what's on it but here they're able to comment and communicate. And like DT said...a supplement to what's there.

And last, (if you've gotten this far the comment "long winded old fart") and I don't say it enough, but all y'all out there are the ones who make it all work. Including all of us on the board and lurkers. And I know for a fact there are I need to do a shout out here to all the lurkers. I know you're there because beyond the site analytics at every one of the 15-20 shows I go to every year people come up to me and comment about it and say that they just lurk and don't have a screen name or anything but visit often. So I just want to say that we are ALL Members of the site and it happens because of you.
Of course we're all here because of JJ Grey & Mofro, that goes without saying.

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #10 

Me and DT are giving Richard a run for his money!

(you out there Richard?)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter