Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
Richard

Director of really really really
really really long posts

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey Gang, the guys will be here in Washington at the end of May playing at one of our State's best venues, at the Gorge, in George, Wa. as part of the big line up that is the 4 day Sasquatch Festival.
The Gorge is located just above the Columbia River, across from a town called Vantage, and up the hi way few miles. It's our desert area, really warm in the late spring and summer, makes for great evenings seeing shows there, as the sun sets behind the stage, with the river seen down below. We've seen a few shows there, there's camping, a winery next door with cabins, and a couple of towns to stay at a few miles away. The drive home at night with a partying crowd can be concerning at times, but the venue is fantastic as you can sit pretty much any where on the grass hill bowl amphitheater and be carried away by what is usually some very good sound.
This would be a great place to see our boys, but either I am closely on the heals of, and will be by then, 50, which is proving my position of, once you've found your groove, the rest seems to fall short. I don't know how JJ and the band got tied up with this event, and yes it will be exposure, but as much as I would live to see them play there, I have serious reservations about a few things. One, paying $373.00 per person for a 4 day pass, to camp, and see a list of bands that pretty much don't register at all on my list of known or want to experience, is a bit steep just to sample in a fashion that will be for a few days. So far, I have yet to see any day tickets being sold via the sites over produced site.
Second,yet primarily, I go to see our guys as the main event, and even though their shows have always been great, they need not to open for anyone, let alone be thrown into a grinder of bands, who's generes are a big mixture, rather than connected the roots of which we have come to know.
Sure,variety can be good, but I'm not so into a festival at that price to go sampling on that of which I know litte or care not to know much about.
Plus, with this many bands playing, how long of a set will they get, which really cheapens the expensive experience.

Had they been paired up to play with a more similar flavor, say as with Anders Osborne, Seasick Dave, Conrad Oberg, Brother Yuessff, Dumpstafunk, Grace Potter...... You get my drift. The Blues Festival in Portland, has proven to be a great recipe, so too was the Winthrop Blues Festival, but this one, ah I'm not so sure of, but hell, what do I know ?
http://www.sasquatchfestival.com/lineup
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #2 

But Richard,
what is it that you really want to say ...........

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
helix77

Reply with quote  #3 
Some great acts though, Arctic Monkeys, Dropkick Murphys and Ryan Bingham to name a few.

really really long posts

Reply with quote  #4 
helix, I don't know brother, the screaming angry pub guys, and hit men thug clown crew are not quite my cup of tea. Oh I'm sure there is an abundance of talent mixed in there somewhere, but the thought of driving to an area albeit it a besutiful one, leaves little opportunity to vacate in search of a relaxing environment, unless that is field grass and a sleeping bag ill adjusted next to a over indulged group of privalaged youth attempting to be getting jiggy with it, or keeping it real, as I search for my Tylenol and Makers.
Certainly it's going to be fun for someone, or many, but that random of a grouping, the research needed to decipher which dose of unknown to take, and the potential to hear only a handful of songs, and not get as close as normally suited, just so as to be amongst the masses to afford my self to say I did it......plus the financial gamble, has me doubting more than hoping. Again, I could be totally wrong, and maybe happy with that too.
Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #5 
So don't go.

really really long posts

Reply with quote  #6 
Most likely won't.
Lochloosa

Reply with quote  #7 
I think the main goal with a show like that is to expose the music to potential fans rather than the existing fanbase.  I've been to festivals for one band and walked away as an ardent fan of others. 

Reply with quote  #8 
lochloosa----that's how we found JJG&M..........@NOLA Jazz Fest!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter