Author   Comment  
uhollis

Alumni/Dean/Assoc Professor,
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #1 

Que Sera Sera

helix77

Reply with quote  #2 
Well since Sly's version of Que Sera Sera was from 1973, I guess JJ may have "borrowed" the arrangement.

Honorary Alumni Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #3 
I think it sounds more like this one:

It makes sense that the songs he writes about childhood would sound like what he heard then. I like it. Probably because the stereo in my dad's room had the same stuff playing.

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #4 

Remember that SCTL&F was on the Alma Zuma album, Audubon, so it was done well before Blackwater.  That being said, it does sound alot like that version of Que Sera Sera that uhollis posted. 

Add it to the list of other songs that JJ has used the music to.

Blackwater - Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee's - Jesus Gonna Make it Alright

Ho Cake - Snatch & the Poontang's (Johnny Otis) - Big John Jeeter

Note: Snatch & the Poontangs is where JJ got his version of Stagger Lee, the rest of the album is just as nasty as thier version of Stagger Lee.  If you are offended easily, please don't click on the Big John Jeeter video. 

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
Delerious Tyme

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #5 

Odd that all those songs are on the Blackwater Album...  hmmm...

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
helix77

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerious Tyme

Remember that SCTL&F was on the Alma Zuma album, Audubon, so it was done well before Blackwater.  That being said, it does sound alot like that version of Que Sera Sera that uhollis posted. 

Add it to the list of other songs that JJ has used the music to.

Blackwater - Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee's - Jesus Gonna Make it Alright

Ho Cake - Snatch & the Poontang's (Johnny Otis) - Big John Jeeter

Note: Snatch & the Poontangs is where JJ got his version of Stagger Lee, the rest of the album is just as nasty as thier version of Stagger Lee.  If you are offended easily, please don't click on the Big John Jeeter video. 

When you say, "Add it to list of other songs...", how did you find out about the other ones? Does JJ own up to it? Makes you wonder, how many more are out there.

Alumni/Dean/Assoc Professor,
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #7 
i love that in his earlier years he borrowed from the past, and inserted his stories. 

i absolutely love that.

we have to find precedents for how we learn. 

helix77

Reply with quote  #8 
I think it's great too. But are the original artists aware of it? Was it done with their blessing? Are they listed in the credits? We all know the commotion over Harrison's "My Sweet Lord".

I agree uhollis, everyone has their influences and the originators should take it as a compliment. It's great when it's done well. However, some get pissy about it and want money.

Now for me, what Kid Rock did with the Warren Zevon/Lynyrd Skynyrd mash up, was blasphemy. I hope Zevon's family and the Skynyrd's got royalties. Fuck I hate that song!

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter