Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
Delerious Tyme

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #1 
Well, now that some people actually have the album in hand and I know for sure it is credited on there, I can now let everyone in on a little secret I've known about for quite some time with regards to this album.

Of the 12 tracks, Dennis plays trumpet on only one of them.  This so happens to be the only track that Art plays on as well and there is a reason for that.  Every other track has Jeff on Sax and Marcus Parsley on the trumpet.  The reason for this is that when the album was recorded, there was a scheduling conflict as it was the same time Dennis and Art were on their first run with Greg Allman. 

The track that they are on is called Turn Loose.  Reason they were able to record on Turn Loose is quite simple, because it was recorded originally for This River but did not make it onto the album for whatever reason.  If you look inside the booklet insert of your This River CD, you will see a picture of tape recordings and one of them is clearly labeled 'Turn Loose".  Once you hear the song too, you will know it is Art playing on it near the end, trust me, it is his signature sax sound on it.

Also, obviously everyone knows that Art is gone, despite that his playing on that track is not his only contribution to the album.  For the first time ever and you will see in the credits, someone other than JJ helped with the arrangements on the album, that someone being Art with the horn arrangements for upwards of 10 tracks on the album.  In the past it has been solely JJ doing the arrangements for the entire album, but for Ol' Glory, Art helped out with the horn arrangements being the pioneer he is and contributed to the album in more ways than one, and from far, far away. 

I've known about this for quite some time, but could not say anything as it was unknown as to whether it was or would be credited on the album.  Now that we know it is, well, the story can be told. 

Art may no longer be with the band, but he sends his best to everyone and to the band.  He knows how hard they worked in order to make the album and wishes them all the success they rightfully deserve.  He thinks this one is the one to finally take them over the top and they deserve it and so much more.  If you ask Art anything about his time with Mofro, about the album, or what he is doing now, he will always respond with simply 'Lucky'.  He feels lucky that he got to play with Mofro, play and work on the albums, and he feels lucky that he is playing with Greg Allman right now on his current gig.  He is happy, having a good time, and doing well.  I know a lot of people, myself included, were and still are sad to see him go, but like with anything, all good things must come to an end.  And Art has always told me, "I've never heard anyone call it Art Edmaiston and Mofro".  Which is not a statement or him being prude, but a simple way with words which Art does so very well, providing the perspective we should all have as we witness JJ Grey & Mofro evolve going forward.  Art isn't the first nor will he be the last member to have come and gone from Mofro, so we shouldn't treat it as such, because in reality, the only person that we should ever be concerned with in terms of leaving the band is JJ Grey.  Because you will never hear anyone call it anything but "JJ Grey & Mofro". 

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #2 
Good words DT.........I thank you for sharing with everyone, as we all wonder about Art. and only hope for the very very best life has to offer him!

ps.......nice signature [biggrin]

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
Got Mofro

Reply with quote  #3 
Very nice DT. 

Reply with quote  #4 
anyone who per-ordered get their copy in the mail early?  Living in LA I'm hoping for something soon as Merch Lackey is based in San Diego...we'll see.
slick814

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks DT - cool info there. Nice to know that Art is still around the band. 
AdamFSU32 - hate to tell you, but Merch Lackey has let me down the last couple album releases. I learned to either find a local store that would have it, or order one from Amazon as well as ML, just in case. I think with This River it took them a week to get it to me in MN. 

All that is
All that will be
All we have is each other
Delerious Tyme

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamFSU32
anyone who per-ordered get their copy in the mail early?  Living in LA I'm hoping for something soon as Merch Lackey is based in San Diego...we'll see.

I got mine from Merch Lackey today here in Arizona so you should have yours by now AdamFSU

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
AdamFSU32

Reply with quote  #7 
GOT IT! Diggin' it! Lots of horns
slick814

Reply with quote  #8 
According to the tracking info, mine will be waiting for me when I get home.... now I just need to get outta work...
Cool for you guys getting it early! 

All that is
All that will be
All we have is each other
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter