Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #1 

It Changes. Or Does It? #jjgrey #mofro #music #soul #florida

For almost four years, from the release of the highly acclaimed “Blackwater” in 2001, to the smashingly perfect “Lochloosa”, in 2004, MOFRO fans were in a constant state of wonder.  Lives shows honestly had the capacity to feel like a juke joint show from anyplace, anytime, rural America.  Unreleased, old and new songs would peek there way into the set lists of shows at amazing times, and in amazing places.  Tunes were being test driven out on the road.  MOFRO fans were giddy at the prospects of any new album.  The wait for “Lochloosa” turned out to be beyond well worth it.

Nowadays, JJ Grey and MOFRO are releasing albums a bit faster.  JJ seems to be visited by his muse much more frequently, or else they got a cot for her on the bus.  And a bit unlike before, the new tunes aren’t test driven as much.  Anticipation grows.

Leading up to this new album, a lot of things have gone on.  Daryl Hance, longtime friend of JJ’s, as well as member of the band, has gone out on his own.   Probably to return off and on as things progress.  Ted Pecchio has joined the band on bass guitar, and the Greyhounds have fallen into there classic roll on Organ and guitar.

The last few months have seen a number of tunes from the forthcoming album, Georgia Warhorse, make there appearance.

I’m gonna try and log a few bit and pieces here for anyone who doesnt hit up the MOFRO fansite, MOFROFANS.

These few tracks come from a solo performance in NYC last week, 2010.08.14, at City Winery, captured on an IPhone.

Fantastic performance of “Hide n Seek” from an in store last week in Colorado.

Here’s a song that has been around for a while, probably even before MOFRO, but a JJ Grey song, nonetheless.  “Gotta Know” makes it appearance on this album, though slightly different than many of us have known.  From last week in Colorado.  The slow release of this song, ending in a ripping sax solo by Art Edmaiston, is what MOFRO is all about. Tension and release.

And to cap off the some of the songs, here is, “The Sweetest Thing”, a song, well, you’ll find out once you listen.  Pretty easy.  I think the same thing of my youngin all the time.  Beacons of Light!  Good god.

There are a few more tracks available out there, if you dig hard enough.  It is wild to me to think that almost ten years ago I would hear the new songs at shows before the release, and now I hear them on you tube, or via some upload from a cell phone.  Wild man.  It changes, and though somehow, the music doesn’t; as evident here in this quick insight into JJ, his life and music.

Thanks JJ, for continuing to find IT, and for tapping into that muse.  I’m stoked to hear this Georgia Warhorse thing.

Cheers.

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #2 

Isn't that great? It's from our man UHollis. (Love that photo man)

TN_Cracka

Reply with quote  #3 

Coming from a former journalism major (take that for what it is worth, which ain't much), that is a very well written piece. Great article. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why Uhollis will always be a dean of Blackwater University.

Reply with quote  #4 
I saw holladown and thought... hmmm I wonder if that is UHollis. 
Well written Uhollis. 
Thanks Sunshine for pasting it in for us.

uhollis

Alumni/Dean/Assoc Professor,
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #5 
thanks y'all.
been poking at getting that one done for a week or so now.  the pre-review.
if you have time, go to the main site and leave a quick comment.
would be much appreciated.

uhollis

Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #6 
that photo Clay if from Palm Beach around circa 1910.  That is Warren Frazier, better known as "Alligator Joe" at his nature trail and alligator farm, located where the existing Everglades club is at the west edge of Worth Avenue.  Again, oh how it changes.

----------------------------------------------------

From the first paragraph of a NYTimes article date 1907.03.03;

PALM BEACH, Fla., March 2. -- Warren Frazier, better known as "Alligator Joe," treated society folk at Palm Beach this afternoon to a new sporting sensation. He towed a crocodile weighing 200 pounds well out into the Atlantic Ocean, had a wrestling match with it, mounted it bareback, and brought it back to shore.
tox

Honorary Alumni Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #7 
Kinda looks like the fence the tourists is leaning on is just a bit off kilter, like maybe this photo was shot just before the whole thing fell forward and 20 tourists slid down to a real swamp party. Great photo, excellent piece overall.

Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #8 
forgot to mention.  if you go to the main site, subscribe over on the right.  there are about 4-6 folks who write there and some fun stuff surfaces, though sporadically.

cheers!

Mrs.Abner

Reply with quote  #9 
uhollis, when you say the main site, which are you referring to, Mofro.net? Maybe my morning brains haven't started because the only thing I see on that is at the bottom for the newsletter. I'd love to find the place your talking about.

Admin
Reply with quote  #10 
MizzAb he means the main site of where the article appeared. The link got knocked off of here at some point.

http://ordinarystrangeness.com/  I believe he be talking bout the people under the heading The Peeps.
Sunshine

Reply with quote  #11 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Abner
uhollis, when you say the main site, which are you referring to, Mofro.net? Maybe my morning brains haven't started because the only thing I see on that is at the bottom for the newsletter. I'd love to find the place your talking about.

Morning Mrs. Abner!  I think uhollis may be referring to the site that the article was on  ....  if so, here is a link:

http://ordinarystrangeness.com/2010/08/17/it-changes-or-does-it-jjgrey-mofro-music-soul-florida/

Mrs.Abner

Reply with quote  #12 

Thanks MofroFan1 and Sunshine! That makes much more sense now.

Admin
Reply with quote  #13 

Well...if something makes sense around here then it must be wrong!

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1

Well...if something makes sense around here then it must be wrong!

nope, we made it right Sir!!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter