Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
Delerious Tyme

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #1 
I've had this happen to me at shows and just recently with an old high school buddy who just asked me after I told him about JJG&M.  Question to all of you is the same, because I can never decide...

When someone who is just getting started on the JJ Grey & Mofro addiction and they ask, what Album do you recommend I listen to/purchase first?

What is your answer???

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
FireFly

Mofrofans.com Interplanetary

Ambassador

Reply with quote  #2 
I usually say " all of them" , after the initial chuckle I say " def the new one, GW, and lochloosa. than when you listen to those you will buy the others too"
also I recommend some live uploads of shows I've been too

( funny quotes from rombello )
milesgone

Reply with quote  #3 
Lochloosa
Lumberingox

Reply with quote  #4 

Great question, as I just faced this dilemma on father’s day..  I really think it depends on the person you are trying to sell. Since I was trying to win over my step mom, I looked at my wife for advice. She suggested OB (cuz she, and my daughter spent the first 3 years with it on in the car).. Now me myself would say BW, or Loch.. I guess it all depends on the customer..

Whole lotta help I am…

TN_Cracka

Reply with quote  #5 

My first album was CG.....so I guess that about covers the entire catalog.

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Cracka

My first album was CG.....so I guess that about covers the entire catalog.

CG has owned my airwaves this summer.. Ghetto through Goodbye is sum nasty goodness..
Bad Habit

Traveling Ambassador of Goodwill
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerious Tyme
I've had this happen to me at shows and just recently with an old high school buddy who just asked me after I told him about JJG&M.  Question to all of you is the same, because I can never decide...

When someone who is just getting started on the JJ Grey & Mofro addiction and they ask, what Album do you recommend I listen to/purchase first?

What is your answer???

I have so many people that ask me about Mofro (my least/favorite question:  What's a Mofro?) that I've compiled my own "greatest hits" playlist that I burned onto a CD that have a couple of my favorites from each album (which has changed slightly from time to time).  I then color-code with a little dot beside the name of each song that tells which album it's on (blue, orange, yellow, green, tan).  I suggest that people choose the one or two albums whose songs "touched them the most" to start off their "collection" (I tell them don't worry, they will end up with every album!)  At one time I wondered about "taking money from the band" by giving away their music for free (sometimes people return the greatest hits CD to me, sometimes they pass it on to a friend), but I quickly realized that people really truly get hooked so quickly that they're going to buy the albums and/or buy tickets to shows (and even sometimes merchandise) and the exposure more than makes up for bootlegging a couple of songs (at least that's what I'm hoping - my intentions are good - love to spread the Mofro love!!)

I've got an awesome sound system in my classroom and love to turn my music up way loud after school.  In the evenings, the custodians come in to vacuum my room and many times can hear my music over the whir of the motor (I'm at the end of the hall, most everyone is gone for the day, and I like it loud  A few months ago Mr. Stuart, the night custodian, turned off the vacuum and asked who was singing.  So, of course, I had to go into my whole Mofro spiel  A couple of weeks later I stopped him and showed him my pictures (from the Columbia and Nashville shows) - to which he responded, "That a white boy singing??  I gotta go check him out!"  The following week I burned him a CD and told him about the St. Augustine show.  He went w/ his family in tow and loved it!  (he did mention there was a lot of white folks there - I think he was still a little surprised)  Unfortunately, Mr. Stuart quit working with us a few weeks later, so I haven't seen him - but I will certainly keep an eye out for him at some of the closer venues!
slick814

Reply with quote  #8 

I'm right there with Bad Habit.... I burn 'em a favorite songs CD.. well, it ends up being two, but still. Gives them a taste of everything. And I alway stell 'em "If you don't like it, bring the discs back. No hard feelings. If you DO lke it, go buy the CD's." ANd I send hem to archive as well... So far I haven't gotten a disc back. Cool thing is that I  know of 2 people for sure that have gone and bought all the albums. And another that has GW & OB.  So it's usually easy enough to make new fans!

All that is
All that will be
All we have is each other
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter