Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
King_Harvest

Reply with quote  #1 

Two weeks ago I had never even heard of JJ Grey & Mofro. I consider myself to have quite a diverse musical taste but I found myself returning time and again to all my old CD's of bands from an earlier time. The album review section on the one music magazine that I read was churning out the same old shit of modern bands with stupid names and records that all sounded the same. I wondered if something had changed in me or I was just getting old and miserable.

A current band who I do listen to and consider to be one of the best are The Gourds, so in desperation I "tweeted" one of the band, explained my disillusionment with current music, and asked for some recommendations. Being Austin-based he came back with music from predominantly that area and invited me to listen to Patrick Sweany, Eagle Eye Williamson, Robert Ellis, Shakey Graves, Jimbo Mathus, and Greyhounds. If it seems strange that I'd never heard of any of these names I'm 43 and from London, England so these names don't even get a mention over here.

Armed with my new list I looked them up on Wikipedia and Youtube and one of the first I looked up was Greyhounds and the song, 'What's On Your Mind'. I was hooked and read up a bit more and noticed a quote from Anthony Farrell saying that he was going to "continue working with JJ." When you get on an internet / Youtube roll it can be very rewarding and once I'd worked out that JJ was referring to JJ Grey I was onto Youtube and clicked three songs: The Sweetest Thing, Orange Blossoms and Brighter Days. When you get moments like that and hit three songs that instantly do it for you it's a great feeling. A quick click onto the JJ Grey website and I see that the band are playing London on the Friday of the very week I discovered them.

Anyway, I haven't been to a live gig for a while but I rang an old friend and we headed to the rather sterile environment of the 02 Academy in Islington - which I told my friend wasn't the best live venue in London by a long way. But as soon as the band walked on stage and hit the first note I knew it was going to be a great night. I knocked back a fair few pints of shit lager, which I haven't done for a while, and put the gig down as one of the best I've been to. So much so that two days later I dragged my wife down to Brighton for my second JJ Grey & Mofro gig in two days. Needless to say my friend and my wife were both hooked, as am I.

Sometimes things just align perfectly, so from being a little disillusioned with music I have had my faith restored that there is still GREAT stuff out there it's just a question of finding it. And for that I owe a debt of gratitude to Kevin 'Shinyribs' Russell of The Gourds and whichever genius invented the internet!

Honorary Alumni Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #2 
Welcome to the Front Porch, King Harvest-

Great story, what a lucky break.

Reply with quote  #3 
Happy to have you here, king harvest. Really enjoyed reading your story, and I'm happy the stars aligned for you to see the band live while they're over there.
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #4 
First and foremost .... Welcome to Our Front Porch King Harvest!
I will not lie, I got goosebumps reading your story, just simply incredible!!
Our Boys are indeed ONE OF A KIND group of amazing souls
and just so down to earth, 
each and every one of them.
I am a bit jealous that you got a 2 night run right outta the shoot,
but just the same, very happy for you and your wife and buddy.
Everyone on/in this forum feels exactly as you do!!
We hope you visit often and share your enthusiasm!!
Here is a little welcome gift for you, a little song from M*O*F*R*O's
first CD Blackwater, its called Whitehouse,
I taped this in Milwaukee of this year, enjoy!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
ICBC-UK

Reply with quote  #5 
Welcome King_Harvest, great to see we have yet another UK convert!  I was at the Brighton gig too!  Really enjoyed reading your post - you have inspired me to tell my story too - so when I get a spare few minutes I will put something down and post it up on here!

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBC-UK
Welcome King_Harvest, great to see we have yet another UK convert!  I was at the Brighton gig too!  Really enjoyed reading your post - you have inspired me to tell my story too - so when I get a spare few minutes I will put something down and post it up on here!

Looking forward to hearing your story ICBC-UK!  I just love hearing how Our Boys have infiltrated our lives!!  Every since "they found me" they have woven themselves in the the fabric I call my life.  Somehow they are apart of my day, everyday.  I love to share this picture my son Sawyer drew when he was in kindergarten:
And since one of my favorite songs is "Ho Cake" (cuz I live to eat!!)
I love to make Ho Cakes!!
I incorporate Mofro into my food:
from My Chocolate covered bacon!!!
to my 'Fro dawg while camping!
♫ ♪ ♫ Sippin on Dew Drops ....  ♪ ♫ ♪
I love to take pictures of "the little thangs, little thangs ...."
a dew drop on a tiny blackberry bud
everywhere I look, I see Mofro ....
The Sun is Shining Down ...... on my pot coffee a brewing, so I gotta snap a photo
and the inspiration to make tee shirts!!! here are a couple of them ...

and then I like when I drive into town, for folks following me to KNOW ....
whom it is I am listening to at that very moment
Yes, my family know I am nuts
and have come to terms with my Mofro~itis,
as it is incurable!!

King_Harvest

Reply with quote  #7 
Sunshine - I hope it's not too early in my introduction into the world of JJ Grey & Mofro to say the following:

I like your photos of the "little thangs."
Your t-shirt looks pretty cool.
I'm liking the car plate and stickers.
I'd even eat that hot dog.

But......that chocolate covered bacon is vile! Is that a joke? Surely you don't eat that?

And my final question, which may be sacrilege, what is a ho cake? By the way, it was my wife's favourite song at the concert.

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Harvest
Sunshine - I hope it's not too early in my introduction into the world of JJ Grey & Mofro to say the following:

I like your photos of the "little thangs."    Thank you!!
Your t-shirt looks pretty cool. Thank you! again!

I'm liking the car plate and stickers.
I'd even eat that hot dog.

But......that chocolate covered bacon is vile! Is that a joke? Surely you don't eat that?  just read below my friend

And my final question, which may be sacrilege, what is a ho cake? By the way, it was my wife's favourite song at the concert.

I remeber dropping off the Chocolate Covered Bacon with Toasted Almonds and Sea Salt at their bus in Chattanooga.  Literally less than 10 minutes later I run into Art and he begins to go on and on about my bacon.  It is a sweet, salty, crunchie combination of flavors!  Our Boys have requested it again, Anthony even asked for my recipe, and after I gave it to him, he said he was gonna try to make it before he headed over to your neck of the woods.  Here is an excerpt from my review that mentions the Bacon:

I was able to get everyone's autograph!!!!

Patience and lined up against the wall,

under the eaves to stay out of the rain,

looking like we are all in a line up,

waiting for Our Boys to appear one by one .....

good laughs there for shure!

When I asked Trube if he wouldn't mind getting JJ's Autograph for me (I didn't want to be a pain and go a knocking on the bus door), He said for

me to follow him, so I did.  As he was punching in the code to get on the bus,

I thanked him and told him I hope I wasn't bothering them, and he said

"Hey, you bought the bacon!!" 

Everyone gave me something to have JJ sign.  We chatted a bit while he was signing everything.  He thanked me for the bacon and I replied that I wasn't sure how it would go over because of the odd combination of flavors.  He said "Oh it was odd, but it definately worked"

Here is a link to my day making Our Boys my Chocolate Covered Bacon!
http://forums.mofrofans.com/post/Treats-for-Our-Boys-5843007

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #9 

Glad to see someone agrees with me King Harvest. Major yuck factor I've always said. And a welcome to our Mofro madness.

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Harvest

Ho Cakes are fried cornbread cakes.  Mighty tastey with butter!!  I have prepared them many ways from traditional:

to served with cherry wood smoked chicken and a medley of roasted peppers
just use your imagination!!!!!!

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1

Glad to see someone agrees with me King Harvest. Major yuck factor I've always said. And a welcome to our Mofro madness.

have you ever even tried it?  
I didn't think so ......... 
until then ...

Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #12 
I may be mis-remembering (again), but I recall one time reading something by Howard W. Odum, a scholarly "expert" on Southern and African American culture.  Back in the plantation days, "hoe cakes" were cornbread batter poured on the blades of those weeding implements, and held over an open fire or inside a large open oven to cook.

Reply with quote  #13 
I believe you are indeed correct on how the received their name CM

GAWarHorse

Reply with quote  #14 
From one newbie to another ... welcome

Reply with quote  #15 
Welcome King Harvest
slick814

Reply with quote  #16 
Welcome to the Front Porch, KingHarvest (I loved "Dancing in the Moonlight", by the way). Yes, SOME of us are a bit more addicted than others to our boys, but we all suffer from the same wonderful affliction!

As far as Sunny's chocolate covered bacon is concerned, it is wonderful! I've made it several times, and every time it's gotten rave reviews from all who have partaken. I've even tried something different with the chocolate... adding a little Cool Whip to it makes it a bit more airy and it seems to set up better than regular choco chips... I'm sure Sunny will share her recipe should you want to give it a try.

All that is
All that will be
All we have is each other
Sunshine

Reply with quote  #17 
Thanks for having my back Slick, 
a
nd I would share the recipe,
it is the Michael Symon version.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter