Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
Delerious Tyme

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #1 
Well suck me sideways...  or they been knocking me sideways....

These feelings won't go away...

June 24th - San Luis Obispo, California
Summer Soltice Concert at Avila Beach Resort

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #2 

Oh, oh, oh! I am speechless at this line-up! I wish with every iota & fiber of my being that I were able to make this show......but there is just no way I can. Sad, sad, sad!

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

uhollis

Alumni/Dean/Assoc Professor,
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #3 
i dont even know who citizen cope is? never heard of them.
home2

Reply with quote  #4 
Oh, oh, oh! Jealous of whoever gets to go! CA is just waaaaay too far away...
giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #5 

I literally stalked Cope around ROMBELLO. I actually named my mission Operation Scope & Grope Citizen Cope; we were 4 members strong and were able to successfully corner our prey in the wee hours of the a.m. as he was sipping a beer!

Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhollis
i dont even know who citizen cope is? never heard of them.

Well, Cope is a guy, not a band.  Kind of like JJ in that he has a backing band, but writes, produces, and sings all the songs.  He does solo and full band shows.  Real name is Clarence Greenwood and although you've never heard of him, you've probably heard a song or two of his.  Especially 'Let the Drummer Kick' or 'Bullet and a Target'.  Eric Clapton is a big fan of Cope.  He's got a unique voice and unique style.  His music is very laid back.  Mainly acoustic.  You should check him out uhollis, you'd probably like him alot. 

He has a new album coming out in July.  Also, if you check out his earlier stuff, I would start with the Clarence Greenwood Recordings album and Rainwater LP.  They are more recent, but his first two were produced by a record company that he did not get along with and while they are good, they are not as good as the recent ones where he started his own record label and produced, made the records how he wanted to. 

I've seen him a couple of times live and his style of live performance is unique.  Similiar to Daryl's, and like Daryl, his music is really good.  I wish I could go to this show.  Having 3 shows of him on Rombello was a treat, that and finding him for Giggles to scope, grope, and anything else that rhymes with Cope was a highlight of the trip.

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
bocomofro

Reply with quote  #7 

"Similiar to Daryl's, but his music is really good..."

Eh?

uhollis

Alumni/Dean/Assoc Professor,
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #8 
just did the youtube thing on him. 
never heard any of those tunes.
and good lord, sure doesnt sound like he is from memphis.
not my cup o tea, though very in line with what the kids might be atune to.
enjoy.
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
though very in line with what the kids might be atune to.

Of course you realize how old that makes you sound.
giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #10 

Cope is very laid back and mellow but when you see him live there is something almost hypnotic about him. In the past he has on occassion been a bit hit or miss with his performances depending upon his state of ......ummm....intoxication but the last few times I've seen him he's been fantastic. His music is sort of melancholy and moody but with an underlying urban influence, I think he is one of those artists that you either love or hate, there doesn't seem to be much in between.

swkelley

Alumni/Assoc Professor
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #11 

I just listened to several of his songs on youtube (never heard of him before or ANY of his songs either) and I'm with Hollis....this is the type music my 18 year old daughter would listen to.....I'll pass.

Alumni/Assoc Professor
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #12 

The title says Mofro in support of.....does this mean they are opening for him?  REALLY??!!

Admin
Reply with quote  #13 

Yep Stan, that's what it means. I know, I'm with you. I just did the Youtube thing too and it's not my schtick. Not to say the guy isn't talented because he is, but it just ain't my cup of joe. I didn't think he was that popular. If Facebook likes are any indication of the size of a band (and it pretty much is) then CC is pretty big...they have 297,481 vs Mofro's 46,542.

MistyDHamby

Reply with quote  #14 

What a phenomenal pairing!  He’s in my overall top five and was second on my list to see on Rombello…Even though we passed by him several times on the ship, I’m STILL bummed that I missed out on approaching him with Erica and Arlene! 

The first time I put his CD in my car, I left it playing for at least a week strait.  He was also my first concert trip that I made it to after my surgery in 2010 (my first time seeing him live, traveling north from Charleston to see him at Myrtle Beach’s HOB then straight down to the Orlando one—where I got to catch up out with Elizabeth and hang out with Ute for the first time).  He, like most of the other bands that I follow, recognized me by only the second night, when I went up to say, Hi, demonstrating his genuine humility.  

Rylund, that was an awesome explanation of him and his music--spot on! “Bocomofro,” I, too, noticed that?  Regarding the hypnotic nature of his swarmy blue eyes, and, though we kidded about this on the cruise, he has a way of making you feel as if he truly does see you in the audience, constantly scanning the crowd; I love that as well…

If it were a little further out (time-wise), I’d seriously consider taking that trip, but I’m with Arlene in hoping for dates closer to home—never know.

Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocomofro

"Similiar to Daryl's, but his music is really good..."

Eh?

I wasn't saying that Daryl's music isn't really good.  I had a feeling someone would take it that way after re-reading what I typed.  Thought about changing it because it can come across that way.  I love me some Daryl, that is evident if you look back at my past posts about his album and touring out here. 

Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #16 

Some guy named Eric Clapton seems to like Cope... 

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #17 

Holy shit!

MistyDHamby

Reply with quote  #18 
That's awesome!  His yacht was parked down the hill from where I lived on St. Thomas, and I kept "passing by," non-chalantly, of course, but to no avail, though the owner of the Beach Bar on St. John said that he saw him running on the beach one morning...SO CLOSE
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #19 

Just heard today that Citizen Cope has had to cancel because of some sort of scheduling conflict. But the good news is that JJG&M will be headlining the show and it's now FREE! If you bought tix they'll give you a refund.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter