JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by modifab
Really really dig this!

But wait a fricken minute... Is Ol' Boy all primped up with some face powder and I swear it looks like he's gotta touucha guy liner on or some shit?

LOL! No matter of course but he just seems really sharpened up.

Hey there modifab, long time no see!! 
glad to see ya back on the Porch!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
uhollis

Alumni/Dean/Assoc Professor,
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #22 
actually, i was observing how everyone here is all giddy

i think the songs, in total, leave a bit to be desired, myself. but that could be the freshness in his playing of them. i'll be able to tell more dec 6th i hope.

save 99 shades, it's pretty dialed in. 
swkelley

Alumni/Assoc Professor
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #23 
To me, all of their albums will be compared to the first one, Blackwater.  None of them have quite measured up to it thus far.....although Lochloosa and Country Ghetto were close.

Honorary Alumni Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #24 
Stan I used to agree. Something about Blackwater has a feel that drips with a loose-ness that hasn't come back yet. Yet at the same time, each album has certainly had it's own feel. I guess I fiind myself playing Country Ghetto more often these days. But what makes it so great is there is a mofro album that fits just about whatever mood I happen to be in.

It's also interesting to see how a few songs evolve over time at the live shows. Sort of like living with kids - from day to day you don't notice how they grow but then you look back at old pics and it becomes clear. When I have not been to a show in a year or so, a lot of songs pick up different rhythms or horn riffs or something else that shifts the feel. So no matter what form these new songs take on the next album, you can look forward to the ongoing evolution.

I do still think that eventually it will all come back around. The band will strip back down, the songs will revert back to a Blackwater feel. We'll see - no matta, it's all good to me.

Alumni/Dean/Assoc Professor,
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #25 
i will say that i thoroughly enjoyed both the last two show i saw, WPB and Ft Lauderdale.

blackwater hit me like a ton of bricks when it came out. noone was expecting that.

kinda like when Phil finally got together with Warren and Jimmy, Headband and Molo. Grateful Dead music was fresh again and the wind was blowing. No one expected it.

the more i try to think about jj's music, the more i put on my music hat, and get pissed. but when i sit back with a rye whiskey or a cold beer after some good yardwork or a day at the beach, and he comes on the shuffle, it never matters. im transported to one place or another, of my youth, or current life, both good and bad times. high and lows. and i guess thats all that really matters. 

Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhollis

the more i try to think about jj's music, the more i put on my music hat, and get pissed. but when i sit back with a rye whiskey or a cold beer after some good yardwork or a day at the beach, and he comes on the shuffle, it never matters. im transported to one place or another, of my youth, or current life, both good and bad times. high and lows. and i guess thats all that really matters. 

What a way to stop fighting the current
and just going with the flow uhollis.....
~ life awlways seems to turn out for the
better when you sit back and just
enjoy the ride ~

JJ would be proud 

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
Got Mofro

Reply with quote  #27 
Tox and Hollis just hit it out of the park. Spot on. Well said.

With all that said, can't wait to hear what Harp and Drums ends up sounding like  ............studio.

Reply with quote  #28 
While I agree with uhollis, as far as Blackwater being the more raw and uniquely swampy style that identifies the band, I will take the live versions of those songs anyday, over the studio mix. And as much as I love Trube, great guy and a great player, I think Daryl's tone and style is as big a part of the definition of Mofro as JJ's vocals, harp and Hammond are. Trube doesn't replace that.

But honestly, I could care less about their studio stuff. This band is meant to be heard, seen and experienced live. I think that defines them more than anything else. And it puts them in a class of some amazing bands, such as the Dead, E. Street, and a few others, where every concert is a sensory experience, that leaves you in a state of happiness and is extremely addictive.

Just my humble opinion. I know I'm preaching to the choir here!

Alumni/Assoc Professor
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #29 
Don't get me wrong, I like all the albums and there are great songs on each.  I just think the first one is best from start to finish.

Reply with quote  #30 
We all have our favorite album, its all circumstantial and opinionated at the time.  When I drive I match my music with the scenery like a damn music video.  I love real long road trips so I can listen to all the albums in order, that shows you how they have evolved.  Right now my favorite album is "Orange Blossoms" but tomorrow it may be "Country Ghetto".  I love it all, just seems to fit my imagination at the right time and the right place.  All their songs have a certain place that fits them, you just have to find it.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter