Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #1 
There's a FB page for this and here's what it says:

Watch JJ Grey's live performance in real time at noon PST on 8/5 on your computer at http://www.alphabroadcasting.com/binglive or download the free Ustream app and watch on your smartphone http://www.ustream.tv/everywhere

https://www.facebook.com/events/535833819788054/
slick814

Reply with quote  #2 
Sweeeeeet!!!  Now... noon PST... that's like 2 pm CDT? Or 3? Gonna have to get the old video recording rolling on the computer. 

All that is
All that will be
All we have is each other
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #3 

It's 2 a.m. in your parts Slick.

slick814

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
It's 2 a.m. in your parts Slick.

Hmmm.... well, I'd have to get up a little early, but I think I can still manage it.  Of course, it being in the afternoon your time, that's nap time for you, ain't it? You sure that TW will be able to wake you up?

All that is
All that will be
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #5 
Nah I'm up then so I can catch my repeats of Barnaby Jones.
slick814

Reply with quote  #6 
Barnaby Jones? Does a Matlock marathon follow? That must wear you out, being there when mud was invented and all. 

All that is
All that will be
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #7 
Actually it's a Perry Mason marathon afterwards. The black & white ones--they're my favorites-- not the color ones with him in the wheelchair and Paul Drake with Alzheimer's.
ICBC-UK

Reply with quote  #8 
Help - can anyone convert that to GMT (that's Grenwich Mean Time) for us in the please!?!

Reply with quote  #9 
Black & white Perry Mason.... nice! They don't show them till after my bedtime around here....

ICBC-UK - you would be looking at GMT+8, so 8:00 PM (2000 Hours) your time

All that is
All that will be
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #10 
Half right. 8:00 p.m the following day.
Delerious Tyme

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #11 
JJ having trouble with his voice on the Bing Stream. 

Played so far:

Hide N Seek
Somebody Else.

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #12 
Tame a Wild One...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
IndyMofro'er

Reply with quote  #13 
Good lord, someone get JJ a ricolla. 
ICBC-UK

Reply with quote  #14 

Thanks for the help Slick814 - 8pm UK time was spot on!  Really enjoyed the show despite JJ sounding so horse!  Some killer guitar from Andrew Trube and generally the sound was excellent.  Who was the stand-in trumpet player?  Where was Dennis I wonder?

Reply with quote  #15 
Last song was 99 Shades.

Stand in Trumpet player was John Gray.  Dennis is ill and at home.  He did not make the trip out west.  John Gray has filled in for him so far for the West Coast tour. 

Hope JJ's voice gets better as he still has a ways to go with the current leg of the tour.  Back to back nights still left for the next two weeks before he finally gets a break.  Having to do the added shows and interviews does not help, as well as, the West Coast portion of the tour always covers more ground and thus more miles to travel to get to each show.  Best thing to do is rest the voice, but of course, that's not going to happen. 

All Grey

Reply with quote  #16 
I heard the last three songs and his voice was strained to say the least. I worry about JJ pushing himself so much. I love to hear him but he needs to take more time for his voice to recover. Oh well he is a big boy so I guess he should know his limits.......... I hope!

Admin
Reply with quote  #17 
There's something in the air out west or something! Seems like his voice does that every time! 
ICBC-UK

Reply with quote  #18 
Audio of the live show yesterday for those of you who missed it - or for those like me who just can't get enough

Reply with quote  #19 
Thanks for the link ICBC.

Yep, he's sounding pretty hoarse, maybe a little worse than Sunday at Mammoth Lakes Bluesapalooza.  At Mammoth Lakes, his voice seemed to get a little stronger as the show went on.  Doesn't seem to be the case at the Bing Lounge.  I thought maybe the cool, dry and smoky mountain air was the culprit, but in the Bing interview, JJ alluded to all the talking he did the night before (at Mammoth  Lakes).  I've heard him say on other occasions that all the talking is harder on his voice than all the singing.  And the worst is in a club after the set when he talks over the house music, to the point that he avoids that entirely in some venues. 

So it makes sense, he would have done a whole lot of talking at Mammoth Lakes.  I'm guessing festivals in general are tougher on his talking voice.  You often have multiple sponsers at festivals, who with their entourages, as well as festival management and staff, seek/expect some time with the featured performers.  We all know how gracious and generous JJ and all the guys can be with their time in meeting and greeting.  And at festivals, with numerous bands performing and hanging around the venue all day, all the musicians get the opportunity to catch up with each other, something the guys really, really enjoy doing.  And DT has mentioned the interviews, which, with the increased exposure and popularity, seem to take up more and more of his time and voice.  So it wouldn't surprise me if JJ left California in the wee hours with a totally shot voice.

I'm guessing (hoping) that it sounds worse than it actually is, and that his voice will recover quickly.  Many of us have seen him with voice issues due to illness (Jamcruise comes to mind recently), and there is a big difference.  When he is sick, you can tell by looking at him, and you can hear the congestion as well as the hoarseness.  And at Jamcruise, his voice sounded a lot more strained.  A good sign is that on both the Bing Lounge recording and the night before, he did attempt to sing all the higher stuff, it just wasn't all there.  When he is sick, or feeling his voice is strained, he'll not even try singing some of the higher stuff.  And he looked good, not sick and unrested, which can be pretty obvious, as hard as he drives himself.  So that might be optimistic news, that hopefully he's not sick and of strained voice, but merely over-talked.  I've seen cases in which his voice recovers nicely, even with no days off from performing.  Which if the case, is simple enough:  SHUT UP AND PLAY!!!

Reply with quote  #20 
I get to see him on 9/11, the first gig after a 10 day rest. Hopefully that's enough rest for him to get back in to full voice. Nodes on his vocal cords are the biggest danger. If he starts getting those, then he will have to make some changes to what he is doing. As I had mentioned in a previous thread, I have a friend who is a well known metal singer in Canada, he had to learn a new technique to save his voice. He is now a bel canto vocal teacher and his metal voice is still in great shape. Managing your voice is no different than any other instrument, you have to take care of it.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter