Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
Grit

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all, back from a great night in Evanston!! Our seats were about 15 feet from the stage, dead center. Wife and I had a blast at the show, although it could have been a bit better. I was a little disappointed at the "crowd noise" that was going on in such an intimate venue. Actually the crowd noise was fine but a few individuals were pretty disruptive. Yelling drunken comments in between songs a few times might be funny, but after 12 or 13 times, its downright rude and when it happens DURING a song, its flat out disrespectful. Sitting where we were, you could see on JJ's face that it was getting quite annoying. Thankfully he fought through it and gave us a great show!!!

As we found out later in the show, JJ had just came from the funeral of his Aunt Judy (he dedicated his set to her). You could tell that he had had a long day and he said at one point that he hadnt eaten anything all day. Well add to all that a half glass of whiskey and a couple beers and by the middle of the show Ol' JJ was feeling pretty good. The sound in the place was excellent, I was really impressed. JJ had a bit of trouble mid-show with his "foot-bass" pedal moving around on the floor. He finally said "Screw it" and swapped his stool for a piano bench and played the rest of the show that way. His storytelling at the show was priceless! He seemed to take great joy in telling us how some of the songs came about. His story on the first time his folks and granny heard "Slow, Hot and Sweaty" was classic and also the story on how Junior got his head put out. By the last few songs JJ was admittedly "shit-faced" and proceeded to just have himself some fun, which was certainly fine by me. After the day that he had, it was good to see him get some of it out. I would bet that he had a great time as we all did. If you have a chance to check out a JJ solo set, we would highly recommend it! THANK YOU JJ!!!!!!!!!!

(I have pics and video and will post as time permits)

IWTLHBs

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit
Hello all, back from a great night in Evanston!! Our seats were about 15 feet from the stage, dead center. Wife and I had a blast at the show, although it could have been a bit better. I was a little disappointed at the "crowd noise" that was going on in such an intimate venue. Actually the crowd noise was fine but a few individuals were pretty disruptive. Yelling drunken comments in between songs a few times might be funny, but after 12 or 13 times, its downright rude and when it happens DURING a song, its flat out disrespectful. Sitting where we were, you could see on JJ's face that it was getting quite annoying. Thankfully he fought through it and gave us a great show!!!

As we found out later in the show, JJ had just came from the funeral of his Aunt Judy (he dedicated his set to her). You could tell that he had had a long day and he said at one point that he hadnt eaten anything all day. Well add to all that a half glass of whiskey and a couple beers and by the middle of the show Ol' JJ was feeling pretty good. The sound in the place was excellent, I was really impressed. JJ had a bit of trouble mid-show with his "foot-bass" pedal moving around on the floor. He finally said "Screw it" and swapped his stool for a piano bench and played the rest of the show that way. His storytelling at the show was priceless! He seemed to take great joy in telling us how some of the songs came about. His story on the first time his folks and granny heard "Slow, Hot and Sweaty" was classic and also the story on how Junior got his head put out. By the last few songs JJ was admittedly "shit-faced" and proceeded to just have himself some fun, which was certainly fine by me. After the day that he had, it was good to see him get some of it out. I would bet that he had a great time as we all did. If you have a chance to check out a JJ solo set, we would highly recommend it! THANK YOU JJ!!!!!!!!!!

(I have pics and video and will post as time permits)

I said I wouldn't, but I MUST apologize to you. I was one of the drunken fools and am most certainly very sorry. It happens to the best of us and THAT won't be happening again! Combination of A LOT of wine, very excited about being out of the house and lack of self control! Despite my drunkeness and rowdy behavior, I'm happy that you still had a great time.

Reply with quote  #3 
IWTLHB, so that was you! haha

Thanks for picking up our friends credit card.
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #4 

Grit, thanks so much for coming on and posting your detailed and wonderful review.  Sad about the passing of JJ's Aunt, death sucks.  I am glad that he ended up having a great time and pushed through it. Looking forward to your video and photos!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
Grit

Reply with quote  #5 
Tracy: No worries!!! It was minor and it didnt ruin our time. And it somehow got you a guitar pick! HAHA

I forgot I have about 5 minutes of video of the story of JJ's folks and granny hearing Slow, Hot and Sweaty for the first time!!!!! Cant wait to watch it again & post it for you all to see.

fanFROmchicago

Reply with quote  #6 

Crowd noise was a bit annoying (It ain't open-mic night) But JJ was very professional and took it all with a grain of salt.  IWTLHBs don't feel bad, there were quite a few people yelling random shit at JJ.

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #7 

Thanks for bringing the show into our computers Grit! Glad JJ was able to work thru a litany of problems for the night and keep on going. He's a professional no doubt. I'm still jealous of all y'all getting to see these solo shows in these intimate little venues. Can't wait to see the vids and pics!

the dude

Reply with quote  #8 

Amazing show!!!! I was very impressed with Shannon McNally's voice. I was kinda hopin she would come out w/ JJ and sing harmonies on a song.  And JJ did look annoyed at all the comments but he got through just fine.  One of by best concert experiences yet. Oh, and the pizza at the Space was fantastic! 

Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #9 

THE DUDE IS ON THE PORCH!!!!

Welcome!

Welcome!!

Welcome!!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #10 
Dude, as soon as I saw your screen name...... all I could imagine was Jeff Bridges logging into our happy little community!

Welcome, pull up a chair, sit a spell!

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

fanFROmchicago

Reply with quote  #11 

The pizza was definitely fantastic

modifab

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanFROmchicago

The pizza was definitely fantastic

I actually traveled to Chicago and didn't eat pizza!! WTF?! We experimented with Ethiopian cuisine before the show. T'was really good and flavorful! A bit strange as they provide no silverware. Some very thin type of breadding that you just tear off a piece a swoop n schcoop yo grub up in. My dish had chicken legs in it so that's an easy one. Just grab and go!

Admin
Reply with quote  #13 

I forgot to welcome the dude. Shame on me. Welcome the dude! And in case I didn't, welcome ploof too!!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter