Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
SoFlaDave

Reply with quote  #1 
So I decided to take a break from processing all my photos from Skipper's and went for lunch in downtown Lake Worth.     I then stopped at a local club (Propaganda) where I'm about to start a new photo project.     As I was headed for home something caught my eye -  the storm shutters had been removed from a particular building.    And right there on the door was the news all of South Florida has been awaiting.    "BAMBOO ROOM, RETURNING 2/17/2011"
Delerious Tyme

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #2 

Good to hear!

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #3 

I bet Stan will be happy!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
TrophyWife

Reply with quote  #4 
Yes, Yes, YES!  (My Meg Ryan impression)

One of the BEST places to see a show!  Now you kids down there need to push push push for a Mofro run there! 

Reply with quote  #5 
JJ told me last summer at the Windjammer that he'd like to do a solo run there.  You better believe that I'll be in Russell's ear.
SoFlaDave

Reply with quote  #6 
Ben Prestage is scheduled to play The Bamboo Room on February 24th.     Ben played many times in the past at The Bamboo Room and is an awesome talent.

Check out his new & improved website

tox

Honorary Alumni Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #7 
That's a nice site he has now. I'll be at that show for sure, my folks will be visiting and my dad will get a major kick out of Ben. He is amazing - younger than he looks, too. I say that because he plays like he's been at it for 6 decades. When I first saw him he was in his mid twenties, I was blown away.

I saw him at Propaganda one time more recently. I was there for the second set, he played 3 that night. During that set, he kicked back 7 shots of whiskey. I had to leave before the third set, but his drinking fortitude is something to behold in itselt.

His music is truly one of a kind, an act that you have to see to appreciate.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for that Bamboo Room news we all are dying to hear...

Honorary Alumni Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #8 
Here's the official word on the opening:

http://www.pbpulse.com/music/2011/01/25/lake-worth-s-bamboo-room-a-rock-and-blues-venue-set-to-reopen-next-month/

Reply with quote  #9 
Here's an article from today's 'Broward/Palm Beach New Times'

The last sentence is the important one.

According to President Barack Obama's State of the Union speech last night, this country is on its way back from its economic woes of the past two years. Could it be possible that this sound recovery from the recession is trickling down locally, especially in our local live music hub of Lake Worth? Well, at least for now, it does look like there is a light at the end of the tunnel for live music fans.

After seeing the closings of many decent midsized local venues like City Limits and the Bamboo Room in the past few years, there seems to have been a resurgence as of late. Last month, we learned that the space once known as City Limits had been brought back to life as Pineapple Groove.

This week comes news that renowned downtown Lake Worth blues bar Bamboo Room will also again see the light of day. 

A phone call down to club manager Donald Becker this week confirmed the rumors. Becker told us that although national acts are yet to be confirmed and the club's website is not fully functional, Bamboo Room would indeed be open for business starting Thursday, February 17. Some changes have been made, including an outside deck built to give the place a "Floridian flair" and slight modifications to the stage, but the overall original down-home Bamboo Room concept is still intact. Not much can be added to the venue's magnificent sound system, after all, the owners having purchased it in February 2008 -- shortly before the club went belly-up in May.

Coming full circle, local blues maestro David Shelley, the last act to grace Bamboo Room's stage in '08, has been tapped as the opening night's act. He will play along with his four-piece band, Bluestone. Becker also tells us that he has a few other notable local musicians lined up as well: Miami six-string ace Albert Castiglia and one-man-band Ben Prestage, to name a couple. Tickets for all shows will range from $10 to $15. Becker promises that more details will be forthcoming, adding that he wants to be sure his website will be able to meet the demand for ticket sales once the major national acts are announced next week.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter