Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Delerious Tyme

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #1 
Figured I should post this in this forum to make it easier to find to start off.

Upon 1st look at Hide N' Seek, here is what I have for keys and chords on guitar:

Capo on the 7th Fret:

Song is in Key of B

Verse is played with the B Major chord and using a shuffle that includes the E major chord/D major chord.  Will put the details in the actual tab when I figure it out and finish it. 

Chorus:

G - D - A - E - B   (all major chords) 

On guitar, with the capo, you will use the finger placement as if you were playing without a capo as follows:

C - G - D - A - E   With the capo, those translate into the chords listed above.

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #2 

Oh, almost forgot, if you want to play the harp part along with JJ on this song, you will use a E Harp.  Pretty easy to play along with this song, nothing to difficult on the harp solo.  Alot of sustained notes and simple slide or blow to draws. 

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #3 
The verse is played on guitar by playing the B major chord riff followed by the E major and down to the D major then back to the B major chord and repeat.

The little transition that JJ has in the middle of the song starts with the E major and goes back and forth with the D major chord before finally dropping down to the B major again. 

I hope I explained that right for those of you looking at this, if you have any questions, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help explain it any better.

Mr Pilchard

Reply with quote  #4 
You nailed it! I was fortunate enough to see JJ at The Varsity in Minneapolis this spring and that's exactly how it was done. Down to the capo on the 7 and everything else you mentioned. I love playing that riff (A LOT) Can't wait to hear how it sounds with the full band backing it up!!!!!!

I've been playing guitar for a while now and love jammin along with Mofro on the back porch with dogs....JJ has inspired me to try and figure out the Harp now too....bought one 3 days ago, driving the neighbors crazy I'm sure. But it'll work it's self out soon, I hope! I never really learned how to read music or anything of the sorts - self taught - so definitely struggling a bit with the Harp.

A heart felt thanks goes out to ya DT for all the time and energy you've put into the tabs and chords. I must say I've cheated a few times and looked at your sheets instead of hashing it out over a 6 pack.

Thanks again! And, Please keep up the awesome work....with the new album coming - you're gunna be busy.....but I'm sure you enjoy every minute of it.........

Reply with quote  #5 
No problem man, anytime.  I have quite a few more guitar tabs ready to go for the website, just finishing them up and Clay will get them up when he finds some time.  Can't wait until the new album so I have more to tab out.  Alread tabbed out the Sweetest Thing and have Gotta Know done.  Just waiting on the new ones and to see what key he has King Hummingbird in or any changes as it goes to album.

What key or keys of harp did you get?  You saw the harp tabs I have in the tab section?  Let me know if there is another you are wanting to play and I can give you tips.  I can pretty much play everything JJ has on album.  But it depends on what keys you have available as to what you can play...

Mr Pilchard

Reply with quote  #6 
.... in the Key of C.

I did see your Harp tabs......wish there were more. I would like a cheat sheet for Fireflies if you get a second! Trying to pick the simple ones out first...then onto bigger obstacles.

Dew Drops is the one I'm trying to nail first- it's fairly simple ... And also one of my favorites to play on guitar as well!

I'm not disciplined enough to work through my Harp for dummies book.....I just start strummin and blowin' and hope I can find a common note and take it from there.

Last night I pushed the harp forward out of the neck holder.....WHAM.....pinched my upper lip so bad.....tears weld up......Trust me, you don't want that to happen.....lesson learned...do not push that hard on the harp!

Reply with quote  #7 
Hey DT - I been scootin' right along on the harp...never mind the above request for Fireflies.......came to me in a vision ..... just kiddin' - startin' get the hang of that chunk of steel. It amazing how it just starts to happen.

Anyway - I would love to see the actual note's to Florida ifn' ya get some free time!

Take care!

Reply with quote  #8 
Yeah, give me a little bit to go over it again and I'll give you what I have.  Have you mastered bending notes yet?  Or just playing them straight?  JJ doesn't bend too much, but knowing how to or more over, being able to helps to master the "chunk of steel".

Also, you playing the album versions or trying to catch on to live versions?

Did you get Dew Drops down?  It's really simple. 

uhollis

Alumni/Dean/Assoc Professor,
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #9 
hey man.  where can i hear this tune, right now?
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #10 
The only place you can hear the album version is on the video, and it's only the first verse.  You can hear the acoustic full version from when JJ did his solo run through the midwest earlier this year.  The one from the Varsity Theatre in MN probably came out the best recording wise.  There is also one from teh Blueberry Hill show in St. Louis.  Then on you tube, I think there is one or two on there, one from the Houston show for sure and maybe one from the Varsity.  Can't remember. 

Let me know if you can't find the recording on the archive Hollis and I'll send it to you.if you want. 

Mr Pilchard

Reply with quote  #11 
DT - I have mastered nothing at this point. Still just winging it.Not too sure what note bending even is.......I assume its rolling just a smidgen one way or the other without hitting the next note?????? Not there yet if that's note bending.

I'm mostly playing along with the Varsity show from when JJ opened for Booker T. I love the harp work he pulls off during On Fire.

Dew Drops is pretty much down. But Florida will keep me busy and put me back in my place very quickly.

No hurry on posting my request as I have plenty of homework to do as it is.

Reply with quote  #12 
Is there piano sheet music available for this song? I'm willing to pay for it. I'd love to learn keyboard solo in this song. It blows my mind every time I hear it!
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebonner
Is there piano sheet music available for this song? I'm willing to pay for it. I'd love to learn keyboard solo in this song. It blows my mind every time I hear it!

I haven't done the piano sheet music to it, as I normally just play along with it, but I'll certainly give it a try.  As long as you know the key they are playing the solo in, it isn't to hard to figure out, just play within the scale of that key and it is easy to catch on.  I can't remember off the top of my head what key Hide N Seek is, but I'm certain the tab I put out for it notes what scale to play the solo in. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter